X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 5th element
    Supreme Being Moderator
    • Sep 2009

The new series does look synthetic in general and I kept searching for pictures to try and get a feel for what they 'really' look like. I thought lots of pictures were in black and white, no it's the complete lack of colour in the midrange drivers cone and the all silver, all black finish elsewhere. It's quite an interesting look and I am sure when viewed amongst a proper décor they will actually look far better. I am very curious to see how they perform.
    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• RedWolf
      • Sep 2007

I am very excited to see they will be offered in White. My dealer indicated the white 803 will be available in the spring, just in time for the completion of my home.

Comment

• TomScrut
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Nov 2013

When I have seen the photos of them they look a lot better than the artificial looking press pics

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
        Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• TomScrut
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by dan87951
          You sure you're not talking about the old series? My dealer said after the new series was released all the old stock was sold within 24 hours. lol
          A lot of old stuff wasn't even available before they came out. If you wanted a particular model you couldn't always get the finish you wanted because they ran out ages ago

Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

Patrick, where are the new 800 D3 Series manufactured/assembled?

Comment

• Patrick Butler
              • Jan 2014

Hi beden1,

Same as all 800 Series- our factory in Worthing, England.

Regards,

Patrick
              B&W Group North America

Originally posted by beden1
              Patrick, where are the new 800 D3 Series manufactured/assembled?

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

Thanks Patrick. I was hoping that was still the case and they were not produced in China.

Comment

• beden1
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006

corbelli - Beautiful setup. It must sound amazing.

Comment

• sarsi
                    • Nov 2004

The new 800 series look amazingly beautiful

I must said I share the same sentiment with many of the folks here, it looks like my 804D2 is the last B&W for me, it is not just about affordability but with the kind of money the new 803 asking for can get me beyond the my love for the brand. After all the choices for good speakers are pretty much endless these days.

I like B&W speakers not just for the beautiful sound but also the beautiful look of the yellow Kevlar driver and it go way back, I remember I used to admire them from the shop window in my younger days when HiFi is not within reach. I became the proud owner with my first B&W 700 series home theatre many years ago, a huge upgrade from my Infinity setup. A few years ago I broke my piggy bank and bought my dream 800 series, a pair of 804D2 and HTM4D.

My 804D2 now sit side by side with a pair of Dynaudio Contour S5.4 (incidentally, Dynaudio is about the same price range with the 804D2 when first bought them), I always wanted to own a pair of 800 series. I originally wanted to off load the Dynaudio once I get the 804, however, upon comparing both my wife and I actually like the Dynaudio sound better, even though she is a great fan of B&W and we audition the 804 together at the shop before making the purchase. She was really upset with me when I purchased the Dynaudio without WAF process years ago. Lucky me, now I am not allow (WAF) to sell the Dynaudio and I get to keep both speakers. Though my wife and me believe 803D2 is a fairer replacement for Dynaudio, looks like we will never find out

Unlike Apple, B&W definitely does not command a cult like following, so I must say B&W may have out done themselves this time, or probably like all branded good they have the rich Chinese market in mind instead of the current following. At this price range, buyers probably are no longer audiophile but designers and their rich clients that are looking for something that go well their curtain or sofa, because the quest of good sound go beyond just brand but the best sound the limited resource at hand can get you.

Comment

• TomScrut
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Nov 2013

I think you ought to listen to them new 804s first before you rule them out. I had a listen on Friday and think they are way better than what I remember the 804D2 sounding like.

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                        • Jan 2014

Hi Sarsi,

When designing the new 800 Series, we had one primary goal- performance. This is the same goal since the founding of the company in 1966. Sure the products need to attractive and impeccably finished, but performance is the reason for being.

The new 800 Series is a massive upgrade in performance. With the exception of 8 components (1 tweeter dome, 3 capacitors and 4 binding posts) everything is new. We invested millions in order to bring the series to market, which includes 7 years worth of research and development and all the new tooling necessary to build the products. Why? John Bowers believed that if you build a better product, then you will sell it. Almost 50 years later, he is still correct.

Our customers are music lovers, audiophiles and people who appreciate great quality. While I wish that interior designers and their rich clients were purchasing high end audio to compliment their decor, the reality is that they would rather spend $50,000 on motorized shades to cover windows than spend $10,000 or a pair of speakers that conflict with their notions of design. That's the world we live in.

The new 800 Series is certainly more expensive than what it replaces. Have a listen and I think you'll agree that the performance justifies the price.

Best regards,

Patrick Butler
                        B&W Group North America

Originally posted by sarsi
                        The new 800 series look amazingly beautiful

I must said I share the same sentiment with many of the folks here, it looks like my 804D2 is the last B&W for me, it is not just about affordability but with the kind of money the new 803 asking for can get me beyond the my love for the brand. After all the choices for good speakers are pretty much endless these days.

I like B&W speakers not just for the beautiful sound but also the beautiful look of the yellow Kevlar driver and it go way back, I remember I used to admire them from the shop window in my younger days when HiFi is not within reach. I became the proud owner with my first B&W 700 series home theatre many years ago, a huge upgrade from my Infinity setup. A few years ago I broke my piggy bank and bought my dream 800 series, a pair of 804D2 and HTM4D.

My 804D2 now sit side by side with a pair of Dynaudio Contour S5.4 (incidentally, Dynaudio is about the same price range with the 804D2 when first bought them), I always wanted to own a pair of 800 series. I originally wanted to off load the Dynaudio once I get the 804, however, upon comparing both my wife and I actually like the Dynaudio sound better, even though she is a great fan of B&W and we audition the 804 together at the shop before making the purchase. She was really upset with me when I purchased the Dynaudio without WAF process years ago. Lucky me, now I am not allow (WAF) to sell the Dynaudio and I get to keep both speakers. Though my wife and me believe 803D2 is a fairer replacement for Dynaudio, looks like we will never find out

Unlike Apple, B&W definitely does not command a cult like following, so I must say B&W may have out done themselves this time, or probably like all branded good they have the rich Chinese market in mind instead of the current following. At this price range, buyers probably are no longer audiophile but designers and their rich clients that are looking for something that go well their curtain or sofa, because the quest of good sound go beyond just brand but the best sound the limited resource at hand can get you.

Comment

• leo2498
                          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by TomScrut
                          I think you ought to listen to them new 804s first before you rule them out. I had a listen on Friday and think they are way better than what I remember the 804D2 sounding like.
                          What do you think about the 804D3 vs second hand 802D2, it could be the same league of price
                          Leo,
                          Saludos
                          My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• TomScrut
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by leo2498
                            What do you think about the 804D3 vs second hand 802D2, it could be the same league of price
                            Well, I would be interested to know this myself. I do suspect the 802D2s will still be better (and I don't think B&W claim any different, they say you can drop one model to the new range and still be better) but I cannot say for definite as I haven't heard the 804 in my system. But the gap will be a fair bit closer than with the 804D2. Also may depend on your room and listening levels.

Comment

• leo2498
                              • Feb 2012

Well, I would be interested to know this myself. I do suspect the 802D2s will still be better (and I don't think B&W claim any different, they say you can drop one model to the new range and still be better) but I cannot say for definite as I haven't heard the 804 in my system. But the gap will be a fair bit closer than with the 804D2. Also may depend on your room and listening levels.

I'm agree with you and I know that is very hard to remember the sound but I wondering what setup you will prefer: your setup with 802D2 or the trial that you did with the 804D3.
                              Leo,
                              Saludos
                              My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• TomScrut
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by leo2498
                                I'm agree with you and I know that is very hard to remember the sound but I wondering what setup you will prefer: your setup with 802D2 or the trial that you did with the 804D3.
                                Definitely my setup. But my amp (Classe 2300)is a lot better than the Linn 4200 and I think my source (Antelope Zodiac Platinum) is better than a Klimax DS too. And I have Dirac which is good.

Comment

• leo2498
                                  • Feb 2012

Definitely my setup. But my amp (Classe 2300)is a lot better than the Linn 4200 and I think my source (Antelope Zodiac Platinum) is better than a Klimax DS too. And I have Dirac which is good.

gotcha,
                                  I'm feeling that even with the new material a 804D3 never will defeat in sound reproduction at the 802D2, so even with the continuum midrange and improve diamond in new house enclosing, will not do.
                                  two thing I could guess: our ears are not training for listening at level of golden ear or the new improvement is not so huge .
                                  Leo,
                                  Saludos

Comment

• TomScrut
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Nov 2013

Well the head probably makes a bigger difference than the mid-range material. The new material for the bass is basically rohacell with a variable thickness

Comment

• sarsi
                                      • Nov 2004

Hi Patrick, thanks for the comments, I am sure that the new 800 series will sound awesome. However, I am very happy and contented with my 804D for now.

Originally posted by Patrick Butler
                                      Hi Sarsi,

When designing the new 800 Series, we had one primary goal- performance. This is the same goal since the founding of the company in 1966. Sure the products need to attractive and impeccably finished, but performance is the reason for being.

The new 800 Series is a massive upgrade in performance. With the exception of 8 components (1 tweeter dome, 3 capacitors and 4 binding posts) everything is new. We invested millions in order to bring the series to market, which includes 7 years worth of research and development and all the new tooling necessary to build the products. Why? John Bowers believed that if you build a better product, then you will sell it. Almost 50 years later, he is still correct.

Our customers are music lovers, audiophiles and people who appreciate great quality. While I wish that interior designers and their rich clients were purchasing high end audio to compliment their decor, the reality is that they would rather spend $50,000 on motorized shades to cover windows than spend $10,000 or a pair of speakers that conflict with their notions of design. That's the world we live in.

The new 800 Series is certainly more expensive than what it replaces. Have a listen and I think you'll agree that the performance justifies the price.

Best regards,

Patrick Butler
                                      B&W Group North America

Comment

• Mark_NZ
                                        • Apr 2007

Links to the first reviews:

Testbericht B&W 802 D3 (Stereo, 11/2015)
                                        Testbericht B&W 802 D3 (Audio, 11/2015)
                                        Testbericht B&W 803 D3 (stereoplay, 11/2015)

According to the magazine ratings, the D3 series does indeed better the previous one model up:

Audio: 802D3 106 points vs 800D2 104 points
                                        stereoplay: 803D3 66 points (Sound) vs 802D2 64 points (Sound)

Comment

• Art Vanderlay
                                          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Mark_NZ
                                          Links to the first reviews:

Testbericht B&W 802 D3 (Stereo, 11/2015)
                                          Testbericht B&W 802 D3 (Audio, 11/2015)
                                          Testbericht B&W 803 D3 (stereoplay, 11/2015)

According to the magazine ratings, the D3 series does indeed better the previous one model up:

Audio: 802D3 106 points vs 800D2 104 points
                                          stereoplay: 803D3 66 points (Sound) vs 802D2 64 points (Sound)

The responses indicate a very different voicing from the old models, so I look forward to hearing them when they arrive at the local dealer.

I don't usually pay much attention to ratings but those would suggest that upgrading from 800D2's to 802D3's is a small step rather than a huge leap, but I do like the smaller footprint and the LF measurements are really outstanding.

Comment

• gerardhn
                                            • Jun 2005

Hi,

Her today 802 D3 at official introduction!!!

Linn streamer , cp 800, 2 * M600.

802 D2 is totally different speaker as the D2 (i have). More open , more bass, more 3d, other league

Chief B&W said 803 D3 will be THE star!, ( standing there not demonstrated live ), better as 802 D2, because no Kevlar. He said even liked 803 3D image more compared 802 D3 because of its more compact head.

Sales started,

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"