X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gasoil
    • Feb 2011

NEW B&W series 2015 ?

Hi,

Any idea if B&W will launch a new 800 series 2015 ?
    In 2005 , they presented the D series, in 2010 the Diamond series , so in 2015 ????
    If so what could they possibly improve ?
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

The D series was about 7 years after nautilus though! But it is next in line. I think an active option with external xovers would be good

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• Greg Gale
      • Nov 2006

My B&W dealer that I have known for 30 plus years told me there will be a new 800 series in 2015 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of B&W. He told me the 800/802 for example will be radically different than what it is today and substantially more expensive (whatever that means).

I asked him if B&W is moving away from the iconic Marlan head with yellow Kevlar FST midrange and he was not sure but when I think of B&W that is the image I have in my mind. They have done an excellent job marketing this look.
      Greg Gale

Main System:
      802 D2
      Classe CA2300
      Ayre K5XEMP
      Graham Slee Reflex M
      Esoteric X-05 SACD
      VPI Classic 3
      Dynavector X20x2
      Oppo BDP 95

Comment

• kobestonecold
        • Sep 2007

NO NO NO. Don't released anymore. Still love my 804D. How can i afford the new one?

Comment

• TomScrut
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Greg Gale
          My B&W dealer that I have known for 30 plus years told me there will be a new 800 series in 2015 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of B&W. He told me the 800/802 for example will be radically different than what it is today and substantially more expensive (whatever that means).

I asked him if B&W is moving away from the iconic Marlan head with yellow Kevlar FST midrange and he was not sure but when I think of B&W that is the image I have in my mind. They have done an excellent job marketing this look.
          Yeah I thought that there may be an anniversary speaker, (like the signature diamond was last time) but I wasn't sure if 2015 or 2016 was the anniversary. I think they ought to replace the Nautilus as it is a bit dated as the top model. I do think a lot of what dealers say is speculation as dealers I have spoken to say they don't know but they think if you see what I mean.

I won't be able to afford the new models anyway so I aren't too bothered unless there is a smaller model that will sound better than the 802 Diamond

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
          Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• leo2498
            • Feb 2012

B&W was founded in 1966 so we have at least one more year
            Leo,
            Saludos
            My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• kobestonecold
              • Sep 2007

so you guys just gonna sell the the Diamond series set then get the newer diamond? NO NO NO

Comment

• dan87951
                • Nov 2005

My dealer was speaking to their rep who said sales were down across the range and was asking for input from dealers on why. In my opinion, the Best Buy contract has hurt Bowers & Wilkins image and in this business image is just as important as the product. 2. Internet sales, looks like lots of dealers or entrepreneurs are using their dealer discount to sale online (against policy). 3. Price on 800 series has out paced their customer base. Anyone remember when 802's were 8k a pair? They should it wasn't that long ago. If B&W is releasing a new line I would be very careful about any new price increases if I were them...
                dan87951
                audio guru

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                  • Jan 2014

Hi Dan87951,

Business is actually up this year with independent dealers and Magnolia stores. Perhaps the dealer you referenced was the one who is not having a great year (it happens.)

Regarding 800 Series, every time a new range is introduced it surpasses the previous series in sales. 802N (Nautilus) was $8000 in 2005 (yes, that long ago.) It was double the price of the model it replaced and sales went up. Price is only a concern if you're not delivering a product with real performance and value.

Best regards,

Patrick
                  B&W Group North America

Comment

• lastexit
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by dan87951
                    Price on 800 series has out paced their customer base. Anyone remember when 802's were 8k a pair? They should it wasn't that long ago. If B&W is releasing a new line I would be very careful about any new price increases if I were them...
                    Agreed. I think the 805s was $2k back in 2008 when I was auditioning speakers. The replacement model jumped to $5k which was beyond my limit.

Comment

• Greg Gale
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Patrick Butler
                      Hi Dan87951,

Business is actually up this year with independent dealers and Magnolia stores. Perhaps the dealer you referenced was the one who is not having a great year (it happens.)

Regarding 800 Series, every time a new range is introduced it surpasses the previous series in sales. 802N (Nautilus) was $8000 in 2005 (yes, that long ago.) It was double the price of the model it replaced and sales went up. Price is only a concern if you're not delivering a product with real performance and value.

Best regards,

Patrick
                      B&W Group North America
                      Patrick any word if a new 800 series will be introduced some time in 2015?
                      Greg Gale

Main System:
                      802 D2
                      Classe CA2300
                      Ayre K5XEMP
                      Graham Slee Reflex M
                      Esoteric X-05 SACD
                      VPI Classic 3
                      Dynavector X20x2
                      Oppo BDP 95

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                        • Jan 2014

Hi Greg,

No word.

Happy Holidays!

Patrick

Originally posted by Greg Gale
                        Patrick any word if a new 800 series will be introduced some time in 2015?

Comment

• 5th element
                          Supreme Being Moderator
                          • Sep 2009

Do keep in mind that the diamond tweeter itself is very expensive. Buying a replacement part costs around $1300 vs the 805S replacement for $160. We're talking at least $2000 extra just in the diamond tweeters. If the 805S were $2000, a price hike to around $5000 makes perfect sense.
                          What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                          5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                          Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• TomScrut
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by 5th element
                            Do keep in mind that the diamond tweeter itself is very expensive. Buying a replacement part costs around $1300 vs the 805S replacement for $160. We're talking at least $2000 extra just in the diamond tweeters. If the 805S were $2000, a price hike to around $5000 makes perfect sense.
                            Yeah I don't see why people have such a beef with this. The 800 802 and 803D were a lot more expensive than their Nautilus counterparts. The 803D was significantly more expensive than the 803S. So when they slapped a diamond tweeter in the 804 and 805 why was it a surprise that they hiked the price?

Comment

• dan87951
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by TomScrut
                              Yeah I don't see why people have such a beef with this. The 800 802 and 803D were a lot more expensive than their Nautilus counterparts. The 803D was significantly more expensive than the 803S. So when they slapped a diamond tweeter in the 804 and 805 why was it a surprise that they hiked the price?

Or they wanted to increase their bottom line... They're in business to make a profit after all.
                              dan87951
                              audio guru

Comment

• TomScrut
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by dan87951
                                Or they wanted to increase their bottom line... They're in business to make a profit after all.
                                Yeah and that, which I aren't surprised by either. No point in giving them away. But it was more the hike the aluminium tweeter versions got when going to diamond and people bemoaning that I was getting at. They generally chuck a bit more onto the price when they bring out a new range

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                                  • Jan 2014

Products get more expensive over time for a variety of reasons. Here are a few.

1. Inflationary- Labor and materials tend to get more expensive over time. What cost you $100 to make something 5 years ago is very likely to cost more today. A new product is your opportunity to get ahead of inflation (but not for long.) That being said, you better hope the new product is significantly better than the old one.
                                  2. Research & Development- Figuring out how to improve products necessarily entails hiring smart people who can do fundamental research and use what they learn to engineer solutions. This is expensive. We have over 20 of these very bright people in our Steyning R&D facility.
                                  3. Technological improvements- While some technological solutions are relatively inexpensive to produce (i.e.- a Nautilus Tapering tube on a CM9S2 tweeter) other solutions are more expensive (i.e.- Diamond Tweeters.) Although I'm not an expert, I'll take an educated guess that many of the inexpensive technological improvements hiding under stones have already been found.
                                  4. Tooling- Whenever you develop a new product, a new tool is required to produce parts. The more changes you make, the more tools you need. These tools are expensive. I recall a tool for one driver cone used by a manufacturer I know costs $80K. The tool has a finite lifespan and can (and will) break.

All of these things contribute to the cost of a product. There are ways that you can hold down the retail price of a cabinet. Using more expensive parts or construction techniques that don't convey are real benefit would be an area where you can control cost. For example, we could make an 802 Diamond's cabinet out of aircraft aluminum. While this would hugely increase the cost of each cabinet (think $35K versus $15k a pair), bending our cabinets and using matrix bracing results in a cabinet which is just as quiet but MUCH less expensive to manufacture. Another area where you can control cost is in manufacturing most everything yourself. This assumes that you run a tight ship (we use LEAN manufacturing techniques.) If you run sloppy operation, any savings are quickly eaten up by inefficiencies. That being the case, you'd be better off buying finished parts from suppliers who run a tighter ship.

Best wishes,

Patrick
                                  B&W Group North America

Comment

• TomScrut
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Patrick Butler
                                    Products get more expensive over time for a variety of reasons. Here are a few.
                                    2. Research & Development- Figuring out how to improve products necessarily entails hiring smart people who can do fundamental research and use what they learn to engineer solutions. This is expensive. We have over 20 of these very bright people in our Steyning R&D facility.
                                    Would be my dream job!

Comment

• wkhanna
                                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

Agreed, I would love few things more than being the guy building the cabinets & chassis.
                                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• TomScrut
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                        Agreed, I would love few things more than being the guy building the cabinets & chassis.
                                        Design is more my thing. I am a design engineer who designs buses but I aren't a bus spotter!

Comment

• mglimabr
                                          • Sep 2010

Double priced! That's why!

Comment

• lastexit
                                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by mglimabr
                                            Double priced! That's why!
                                            Wish to elaborate on this statement?

Comment

• TomScrut
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by lastexit
                                              Wish to elaborate on this statement?
                                              I presume the point was that the 805 Diamond was twice the price of the 805S. Who cares if the diamond tweeters cost loads to make and they massively improved the crossovers using expensive components?

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                • Jun 2005

Hi,

Heard from my local dealer following rumors.
                                                End of this year new models.
                                                Prices + 25 %.
                                                803 gets head.

True , not true. ? Who says?

Comment

• RedWolf
                                                  • Sep 2007

I hope the rumors are true. I am ready for new speakers and don't want anything that is nearing end of cycle.
                                                  If the number of preowned listing are any indication I expect it will be very soon.
                                                  Call me crazy but I will be first in line if they offer them in white.

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by gerardhn
                                                    Hi,

Heard from my local dealer following rumors.
                                                    End of this year new models.
                                                    Prices + 25 %.
                                                    803 gets head.

True , not true. ? Who says?

Headed 803 will be interesting if it happens. Would maybe be able to swap my 802s for them if they are more suitable for my room. The head makes so much difference I couldn't buy 803s even if they are more practical.

Comment

• Rod#S
                                                      • Oct 2010

If true and if the marlan head is the same size as the existing ones I think it would look foolish on a 803 because the cabinet isn't large enough.
                                                      B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Rod#S
                                                        If true and if the marlan head is the same size as the existing ones I think it would look foolish on a 803 because the cabinet isn't large enough.
                                                        Ya think so?
                                                        Kal Rubinson
                                                        _______________________________
                                                        "Music in the Round"
                                                        Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                        http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• Rod#S
                                                          • Oct 2010

That's about how it would look
                                                          B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• windshear
                                                            • Dec 2004

Lets not get a"head" of ourselves.

Comment

• Freddie40
                                                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by kal rubinson
                                                              ya think so?
                                                              rotflmao
                                                              Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Rod#S
                                                                Yeah I would suspect if it was true there would be a smaller head. Possibly a CM8 or CMC2 sized FST?

Comment

• luisev
                                                                  • May 2015

I'm new here as I'm thinking about replacing my 16+ year old 804M and HTM with either the CM10s or 804Ds. Curious though if the rumors are somewhat true and a new 800 line is on the horizon. I'm not in any rush as my 804Ms have treated me great thus far, but curious how true the rumors are.
                                                                  B&W 804 and HTM | Emotiva ERD-1 | HSU VTF-15H
                                                                  Emotiva XMC-1 | XPA-2 | XPA-5
                                                                  Samsung 58" Plasma | BenQ HT1075 100" Screen
                                                                  Amazon Fire TV with XMBC | Oppo BDP-103 Bluray Player
                                                                  Mogami and Blue Jeans Cables
                                                                  ATS and DIY Acoustic Panels

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2008

All signs are point to a new 800 series lineup within 3-6 months. From memory they announced the "Diamond" series around the time of CES which is January.

I am in the market too and trying to decide if I should buy now or wait.
                                                                    SoundEngine355

-------------------
                                                                    [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• Freddie40
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
                                                                      All signs are point to a new 800 series lineup within 3-6 months. From memory they announced the "Diamond" series around the time of CES which is January.

I am in the market too and trying to decide if I should buy now or wait.
                                                                      Yes, they announced the current series in Jan 2010.

Dave
                                                                      Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Nov 2013

Over here in the UK, all the dealers have their stock for sale ex demo. I did also hear a rumour there is limited availability of finishes when buying brand new and that October was when the announcement was going to be made. Marlan head on the 803 and that its possibly the biggest update since Nautilus are the other things I have heard. Could all be made up though.

Comment

• TimbaLand
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2013

803s with Marlan head will look very disproportional
                                                                          Last edited by TimbaLand; 06 August 2015, 14:15 Thursday.

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Nov 2013
                                                                            • 532

I presume they will change the size/geometry? They could make it a 5 inch FST for example and up the bass crossover frequency?

Comment

• Art Vanderlay
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Jul 2013
                                                                              • 12

#39
                                                                              I've also heard that the kevlar driver will be replaced, so there are rumors a plenty.

I suspect that the new 800 series will (finally) sport a new fst mid driver and along with it a new crossover design.

I do like my 800 diamonds but I think it would have been better to use a higher order tweeter crossover without the mechanical phase alignment, as per the Signature 800, which IMHO is the best sounding iteration of the Nautilus 800.

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2008
                                                                                • 313

#40
                                                                                Found this from the recent industry briefing for the new 800 series due in Sept.

SoundEngine355

-------------------

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Nov 2013
                                                                                  • 532

#41
                                                                                  Very interesting....

So if we presume that left to right we have 805, 804, 803, 802, 800 then the 803 does look to follow the same design convention to the bigger models, possibly even the 804.

The far left two look to have marlan heads, and the middle one looks to have a smaller marlan head. The left two are a bit harder to work out, the one I think is an 804 looks to have something like a marlan head but not tweeter on top? And if the far left is an 805 it looks big!

Comment

• Art Vanderlay
                                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                                    • Jul 2013
                                                                                    • 12

#42
                                                                                    Looks as though they're aiming at the Middle Eastern market.

Comment

• Mikael
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2007
                                                                                      • 379

#43
                                                                                      Do you have the link to the news story?

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Nov 2013
                                                                                        • 532

#44
                                                                                        I did a Google image search for the posted image and the page on the forum that it was posted on had the image deleted, it was still just lurking on Google

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Feb 2008
                                                                                          • 313

#45
                                                                                          SoundEngine355

-------------------

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"