Which series do you own: 600, 700 or 800?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Which series do you own: 600, 700 or 800?

Several posts around the forum got me thinking about the popularity of the different B&W series of speakers. I believe of the three primary series (600, 700 and 800) the 600 series is by far the most popular. While the 800 series is reserved for the hi-end esoteric the 600 series is the entry in to this foray and the 700 series the bridge between the two.

I remember my first pair of B&W speakers the DM110i's (Circa 1986). I loved those 110i's back then as much as I do my 803Ss today. The 110i's are the early predecessors to the current 600 series models which makes me wonder if my theory still holds true. That many people new to hi-end acoustics will start with the 600 series and move up the line as their tastes for higher fidelity becomes more acute, just as mine did.

So what B&W series speakers do you own or have owned?
    600 Series
    22.54%
    700 Series
    16.20%
    800 Series
    50.00%
    Other B&W Series (Past and Present)
    11.27%

The poll is expired.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
  • scottielee
    • Apr 2005

other - signature 805

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

I would consider the Nautilus and Signature families as part of the 800 series just like I would consider the original 600, 600 S2 and 600 S3 as part of the 600 series.

Comment

• KvHagedorn
        • Jul 2005

.. and the older CDM-SE and CDM-NT series should be classed with the 700s.

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
          • Mar 2005

What about the Matrix series? Many would argue that the Matrix and the Nautilus series have now relation as the changes are pretty dramatic between the two lines.

Comment

• KvHagedorn
            • Jul 2005

I agree, but it was the best of their line at the time, and still 800 series.

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
              .. and the older CDM-SE and CDM-NT series should be classed with the 700s.
              Could be but then where do you draw the line? I will leave that up to you but if it were me I would classify it as "other".

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ZX10 Guy
                What about the Matrix series? Many would argue that the Matrix and the Nautilus series have now relation as the changes are pretty dramatic between the two lines.
                Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                I agree, but it was the best of their line at the time, and still 800 series.
                Hmm, I would definitely place the Matrix 800 series in the "other" category. While I agree that both lines share some technologies the Nautilus series (followed by the Signature and Diamond series) was a radical departure and based primarily on the Nautilus flagship which the Matrix series was not.

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Where's all the 600 and 700 series owners??? I know there are a lot more out there.

Comment

• jim777
                    • Mar 2005

I just love my 703's, they just need good amplification and then they sing

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by beehive
                      just kidding there tbooe, im actually saving for the 800's...
                      the 600's owners ( including me ) are merely in the "read only" mode in
                      this forum

hey guys can we talk about our humbled speakers too?*
                      Is this why the poll numbers are low? Get out of "read only" mode and speak up!

*(Copied from another thread.)

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

For those of you 600 series owners too shy or to new to have seen this, now is the time to speak up!

Comment

• RobP
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

Well Rebelman, I own the 800 series in my main system, N803, n805s and a HTM1, in my second system I have DM602's and 601's. I love both of the series, I also own a pair of the older 600i speakers in my garage, They all do things a little different from one another, The 600's play older rock recordings better, The 600i's play well with my old Marantz tube tuner in the garage, and my 800's are used for HT and more critical listening.
                          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Jonesy
                            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by RebelMan
                            For those of you 600 series owners too shy or to new to have seen this, now is the time to speak up!
                            Well ok then....

I've lurked here since getting into Rotel amps a while ago and finally got my mains....604s3's! Man am I loving them. I heard them a couple years ago when I went to hear the 603's and felt the 604's much more than $300 better.

They were the reference for the rest of my auditioning since then and while I heard much better speakers, at much higher price points, I always went back to the 604 as the price/performance leader.

Anyhow, I now understand the Rotel/B&W synergy. My 991/604 combo is absolute ear candy! The only thing I need to tweak it up a notch is new furniture (don't ask) :roll:

Comment

• Mitchell
                              • Sep 2004

I have 703's and am happy with them.
                              Mitchell

Comment

• Movieman
                                • Sep 2005

I Have :

Nautilus 804 (front)
                                Nautilus HTM 1 (center)
                                DS6 Di poles (sides)
                                CDM1 (rears)

Cheers
                                Movieman

Comment

• Nolan B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2005

I think I am the only person who posts here that has the FPM series. If im not I havent read anything from anyone about them yet.

p.s. they are very surprising.

Comment

• martino
                                    • Aug 2004

my imput on speakers

i have N803S and HTM3 in front and 602's in the rear (plan to upgrade to N805's soon.

Cheers

martino

Comment

• Claw
                                      • Apr 2005

I have a pair of DM604s2's in front with an LCR60 centre.

Comment

• Wizard-of-Odd
                                        • Jun 2005

I seem to collect older B&W's - not by design, I just can't seem to part with any. I currently have the following:
                                        802 Series 80 (2)
                                        DM3000 (4)
                                        DM640 (6)
                                        P5 (1)
                                        DM620 (2)
                                        DM570 (2)
                                        DM220 (2)
                                        DM1600 (2)
                                        ASW650 (2)
                                        assorted center channel and in-wall
                                        assorted drivers and electronics to keep everything healthy

Always looking for more good deals.

It's fun being the only grownup in the house. 8)
                                        It's fun being the only grownup in the house.

Comment

• grit
                                          • Jan 2005

I HAD a pair of DM620s and the matching center and bookshelf speakers at one time. Presently have 703s, HTM7, 705s.

To address the original question of the post: Yes, I bought low-end B&W speakers when I got into high-end audio. When you're use to buying your audio equipment from large audio/video stores, spending as much or more on a brand you've never heard of is an intimidating step (at least it was for me).

Several years ago (10 or so), I had to sell my DM600 series to a close friend. A year or two later, I purchased some Boston Acoustics speakers and a nice Denon receiver. Every time I went over to my friend's house and got to listen to those speakers, I hit myself in the head.

I'm back to B&W nows (700 series). And one day, I'll upgrade to 804's or 803's, and that'll probably be my financial maximum. Also, for the first time, I've got far better electronics with my Rotel gear.

Something else these speakers have changed in me is how much music I listen to and WHAT music I listen to. Previously, I mostly listened to pop/rock stuff, and mostly as music for filler. With my 700's and Rotel gear, I've started to recognize some recordings as flat and without depth (probably due to a lack of acoustics when they're recorded?). Norah Jones use to be a girl that sang a song I heard once in a while on the radio. Diana Krall I never even heard of. Now, I listen to those because I enjoy different things.

Basiclly, I use to hear music, now I listen to it. Or as my dealer jokingly said, "You're maturing."

Comment

• OnlyOne
                                            • Aug 2003

I bought 704s and an HTM7 center two weeks ago. I'm picking them up tomorrow morning. And I'm excited like a kid on Christmas morning!

Tomorrow is going to be a great day.

Comment

• springer49
                                              • Oct 2004

I have had N804's, 803D's and I just ordered 802D's.
                                              Htm3S until I can afford the HTM2D. My rear speakers are the N805's. I hope to keep upgrading as the funds become available.

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                • Sep 2003

I've got the 700's predecessor -- CDM 9NTs, CDM CNT, and CDM 1NTs in the home theater. Also still running my first B&W purchase, a pair of 602 S2s, in the family room.
                                                Brad

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

Wow, the feedback has been great. Keep them coming!

Martino, I have a similar setup. You should also consider the SCMS's in lieu of the 805S's. I did and LOVE them.

Wizard, are the DM220's your oldest pair? I know how you feel about wanting to hold on to your pieces. It was hard letting go of my DM110i's

grit, I understand what your dealer means by "maturing". My tastes have grown up too. Thanks for sharing.

"Merry Christmas" OnlyOne. Enjoy your day!!! :T

Springer, what happens to the 803D's when the 802D's arrive? Are the 802D's THAT much better to your ears? I am considering an upgrade to the 803D's or the 802D's, but still undecided. Each has their share of strengths and weakness. I will need to make compromizes either way, just looking for the ones I can live with the most. :roll:

Nice line up Blindamood. :T

Comment

• springer49
                                                    • Oct 2004

RebelMan.. I just sold the 803D's and will pick up the 802D's next week.
                                                    and yes I feel the 802D's are that much better. smoother midrange and a stronger tighter bass. Now I can stop the upgrades, at least speaker wise. Amps are next.

Comment

• G12345567
                                                      • Jul 2004

My B&W 600 series speaker setup

I have older marantz stereo amplifier with a set of B&W DM302

My main home theatre setup is a Marantz SR-7500 amplifier, with a B&W 5.1 speaker setup consisting of the following.

B&W LCR60 (center)
                                                      B&W 601s3(x2) rear left and right
                                                      B&W 602s3(x2) Front left and right
                                                      and a 3rd party sub.

Comment

• rick c
                                                        • Aug 2004

I have a rotel rsx1056 driving the following
                                                        B&W 603s3(2)
                                                        B&W lcr600
                                                        Will be getting 601s3's to replace def.tech. monitors for surrounds.
                                                        Def.tech. 200tl sub.

Comment

• Wizard-of-Odd
                                                          • Jun 2005

Hey RebelMan, how you doing?
                                                          The DM220's are my oldest. I just hate to think about selling any of my B&W's, but may have to. My oldest daughter had her second surgery of the year last Friday. Even with insurance the deductibles add up in a hurry.

What amps/receivers have you used to drive your B&W's? I recently picked up a Sony STR-DA3000ES. All I can say is WOW! :T It was manufactured late in the model run so the initial problems with the receiver have been corrected. I think it will work out well for my HT.

Peace,
                                                          The Wiz
                                                          It's fun being the only grownup in the house.

Comment

• Ryx
                                                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Wizard-of-Odd
                                                            DM640 (6)
                                                            you have 3 pairs of DM640s 8O
                                                            I have been looking to pick up a set of those speakers for a while now, man if I had the money I would have a list of older speakers similar to your own. just because there old doesn't mean they aren't anygood anymore, one set I would love to get a hold of are matrix 800s, they are defanetly unique. I think alot of the discontinued stuff is nice. I am always looking for a deal, and there is somthing about getting a speaker that they don't make anymore that just seems special.

B&W wouldn't be where they are today if it wern't for all the classics from years past.

Comment

• UCLAman
                                                              • Oct 2005

my speakers

below are my speakers and the rest of my equipment: :P

Video
                                                              ----------
                                                              Home Theater: Bedroom:
                                                              Mitsu 55809 Mitsu 42315
                                                              Hughs E86 HD reciever HR10-250 HD DVR
                                                              Kenwood DV5700 Mitsu DVD 8020

Audio
                                                              ----------
                                                              Rotel 1095 AMP
                                                              Kenwood VR4090B Reciever
                                                              Kenwood 423M 200 CD Changer
                                                              Monster PowerCenter HTS2600
                                                              B&W CDM CNT (center)
                                                              B&W Nautilus 803s (left/right)
                                                              Polk Audio AB755 In-wall (surrounds)
                                                              Infinity Interlude 10" (sub)

Wiring
                                                              ----------
                                                              Moster Cable ILS200 Toslink connects (x3)
                                                              Audioquest Diamondback (receiver to amp x5)
                                                              Audioquest Diamondback (6 ch. analog music)
                                                              Moster Cable MCX-1s Biwire (center channel)
                                                              Audioquest Type 6 Biwire (left/right channel)
                                                              Monster Cable In wall rated 14/2 (surrounds)

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • May 2005

2 x DM610i - 13 years old and still going strong. The DM610i's come from an era before B&W took a turn to the bright. They are warm and good for long sessions.
                                                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"