X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rado
    • Apr 2007

B&w 704 and amplifier

Hello,

I intend to upgrade my electronics (two Marantz PM-15S1 in bi-amp mode), because I think the 704 still not shown its full potential, I mean control.
    The source is great: Marantz SA-15S2.
    Now I'm listening to music CD at 12 - 1 o'clock and LP at 2 o'clock. The listening room is 25m2.
    Do you have any impressions which models amplifiers (combo or integrated) would be most suitable?
    In any case do not mention Rotel.
    Does it make sense to keep one as a preamp or completely free from both?
    Price limit: $3000

I would be very grateful for any advise

Best regards,
  • rado
    • Apr 2007

Someone?
    Originally posted by rado
    hello,

i intend to upgrade my electronics (two marantz pm-15s1 in bi-amp mode), because i think the 704 still not shown its full potential, i mean control.
    The source is great: Marantz sa-15s2.
    Now i'm listening to music cd at 12 - 1 o'clock and lp at 2 o'clock. The listening room is 25m2.
    Do you have any impressions which models amplifiers (combo or integrated) would be most suitable?
    In any case do not mention rotel.
    Does it make sense to keep one as a preamp or completely free from both?
    Price limit: $3000

i would be very grateful for any advise

best regards,

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

I'd strongly look at Bryston. IMO Bryston make all speakers shine at all different levels. They have incredibly high current and dynamic range yet has warmth and clarity like no other.
      I'm so impress with Bryston over the years working with them. I'd go on to say they are the overall best in the business at their price points.
      Your 704's are very nice speakers and I believe mated with Bryston you'll discover everything they are capable of doing. Nothing will be left.

At your price point check out the Bryston B135 SST2 Integrated Amplifier, retail it blows the budget but I have seen them go for around 3k used. Trust me when I tell you if you find one used at any price in great shape, go for it. They hold their value very well so if for some strange reason you don't like it, you can reclaim you money and move on.

Good luck, finding the right electronics can be difficult. Also most of the time it really comes down to placement and seating area. Room acoustics and volume levels can play a huge part in overall performance.

Comment

• TomScrut
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Nov 2013

If we are talking used, then Bryston, Classe and McIntosh are good options. A friend has a Classe CAP-2100 and loves it. Uses it with CM9s. I also use Classe with my 803s
        Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Hands down, you won't find a better amplifier to fit your price range than the ones from Odyssey. Give them a call, you'll talk to Klaus and tell him exactly what you have in your system, he'll recommend the best amplifier they make with the right upgrades to them to fit. Best part is he won't try to over sell you with an amp you don't need.... that is of course unless that's what you want to buy.

My guess is you'd be completely blow away by the low end Khartago (I suggest the extreme model which has all the upgrades). I'm guessing you could do Monoblocks easily for your price.... though best to call and see what works best for you.

I guarantee that you will not be disappointed by these amps. They are some of the quickest and most neutral and musical amps I've heard at their price range. I know lots of people say that amp x competes with amps y or z at 10x it's price and a lot of times I tend to disagree... but Odyssey amps greatly perform far above their value.

It's enough that I was looking at Classe CA-M600s and I'm now thinking of saving a ton of money and getting an extreme versin of the Kismet mono blocks.

Don't be afraid of the wattage. I had a Khartago Plus stereo amp on my 802D2 and it had no problem except for the low low low bass (just didn't have that)... and that's almost their lowest model.

Really can't say enough until you hear one.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by PewterTA
            Hands down, you won't find a better amplifier to fit your price range than the ones from Odyssey. Give them a call, you'll talk to Klaus and tell him exactly what you have in your system, he'll recommend the best amplifier they make with the right upgrades to them to fit. Best part is he won't try to over sell you with an amp you don't need.... that is of course unless that's what you want to buy.

My guess is you'd be completely blow away by the low end Khartago (I suggest the extreme model which has all the upgrades). I'm guessing you could do Monoblocks easily for your price.... though best to call and see what works best for you.

I guarantee that you will not be disappointed by these amps. They are some of the quickest and most neutral and musical amps I've heard at their price range. I know lots of people say that amp x competes with amps y or z at 10x it's price and a lot of times I tend to disagree... but Odyssey amps greatly perform far above their value.

It's enough that I was looking at Classe CA-M600s and I'm now thinking of saving a ton of money and getting an extreme versin of the Kismet mono blocks.

Don't be afraid of the wattage. I had a Khartago Plus stereo amp on my 802D2 and it had no problem except for the low low low bass (just didn't have that)... and that's almost their lowest model.

Really can't say enough until you hear one.
            Class A/AB for $895. That's definitely worth a listen.
            $ 895 USD
            2 x 110 Watts RMS @ 8 Ohms
            2 Ohm load stable
            Class A/AB
            2 - 400,000 Hz frequency range
            60,000µF memory
            40 amps current delivery
            <0.04% THD (not audible)

Comment

• Antioch
              • Feb 2013

Ditto for Bryston. I use a 4Bsst and BP 25 to push my 803 D2's and purchased this combo used for about $3000. You don't need any more power than that and it will give you plenty of headroom. In fact a 3Bsst would be more than adequate, but the 4B series would allow for upgraded speakers. Nothing wrong with McIntosh or Classe. See if you can listen to some different amps/pre-amp combos and let your ears be the judge.

Comment

• rado
                • Apr 2007

Well, thanks to all.

Bryston is on half above my limit. Located in Bulgaria, very rare I can see brands like Bryston & Classe. Anyway I feel that will be very happy with Classe CAP-2100 .
                What about Marantz PM-11S2 with very good reviews, rated at 2x100/8 & 2x200/4 ?
                Does someone has experience with Lavardin (IS & IS REFERENCE) ?
                Lavardin amplifier, a truly innovative audio amplifiers based on a revolutionary Memory Free amplification technology. Lavardin amplifiers are the most ambitious and innovative product in the world of audio

I am afraid that only 35w will be enough for driving B&W to their full potential. Yes, some special technologies ...

Comment

• emig5m
                  • Aug 2008

I personally think most amps are the biggest waste of money in the audiophile world. I went to this guys house to purchase his set of 803D running on Classe gear and it sounded very lackluster. In fact my system at home with 683's and a Yamaha AVR sounded miles better than his system and there was a dramatic difference in cost and the lesser system performed better. I've heard systems costing even more that sounded even worse (a Legacy audio showroom) Other than acoustics, speakers, and placement, nothing has enhanced the sound quality of my system to the magnitude that of Audyssey XT32 has. I wouldn't even bother with the lesser versions of room correction... XT32 all the way... Room correction DSP is the future....

Personally I'd rather swap to the 804S speakers with the FST midrange and extra bass driver than get a different amp for the 704 and wind up with the same performance in the end...

Comment

• TomScrut
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Nov 2013

I used to have 683s and an Onkyo AVR and it was not even remotely close to sounding as good as my classe amp and 803S. So not sure what is wrong with your mates system but something must be unless your Yamaha is one of the best amps ever built to make 683s sound better than 803Ds, except in some peoples book the 803D was one to avoid
                    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

Most likely the guy didn't have things set up correctly.

Now I will say that my Rotel RB-1090 performs at the same level as Classe CA-M400... to the point where I bet in a blind test no one could pick out the two. I've done a few mods on my 1090 to get it this way...but that says a lot.

I have a Yamaha RX-V830 that I've also put my system on as well... and wow they sound similar (more than not)...you can definitely tell where the money went.

My friend has the same Yamaha with my old B&W 604s3s on them and it sounds amazing... and in some ways better than mine did on the Rotel Gear...but it's very much more his room fits them perfectly. I'm trying to convince him to add an Odyssey amp as he wants the super quick and tight bass and the Yamaha just can't do it... so hopefully in the next week or two I can get him to demo an Odyssey amp (friend is trying to sell his as he bought the upper model Odyssey after hearing them).

I bet anyone that has a Yamaha receiver and would add an Odyssey amp would not say that amps don't make a difference. For that matter adding my RB-1090 to the Yamaha... makes a huge difference (especially in the deep lows) and smooths out the sound a little bit.
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• TomScrut
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Nov 2013

Yes it is a case of diminishing returns to an extent, and also being practical about the quality of other components in the system. I had B&W XT8s with my Classé amp and although it made an improvement it was with the idea of 800 series. I would never have bought it to run with XT8s forever I would have bought a rotel. And 683s probably wouldn't benefit a lot from an external power amp against a high end AVR. I tried a low end Onkyo last night that my mate wants to buy, I was impressed by how good it sounded. But when I plugged the Classé back in it reminded me of why I spent the money on it.

Comment

• svx94
                          • Oct 2021

If you look hard, you may find a Hegel H120 for $3000. It drives the 704 with confidence. I saw people complaint about 704 base. But with H120, I have to turn down the sub for base heavy sources very often, so much so I got the SVS 3000 micro for their ability to use App to quickly set the base. The only problem with this pairing I see today is the rendering of piano. I'd like more "grand" feeling from concert piano, and yet to find a CD that shows that.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"