Need advice for B&W speaker upgrade : Matrix 803 or 704?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yad
    • Mar 2011

Need advice for B&W speaker upgrade : Matrix 803 or 704?

Hi all,

I just registered to this forum because I was looking for information and reviews about some B&W speakers and it seemed you guys are very experienced so you probably have many things to teach me.

I currently own a pair of P4 speakers that I have used for a couple years. They are very nice but sometimes I feel they are a bit weak in the low frequencies, especially since I upgraded my amplifier (now Atoll IN200). Before I bought them I listened to CM7 and I really liked them but they were out of my budget.

I starded looking for adds, and I found two very nice guys nearby my home selling a pair of Matrix 803 (that are 20 years old : http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Downlo...804_manual.pdf) for one and a pair of 704 (6 or 7 years old : http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Downlo...info_sheet.pdf) for the other. Both are in excellent conditions and the price is about the same (more or less 50$). I'm not sure I'll be able to listen to both before someone buys them (especially because I want to listen to them at my place, not in someone else's environment).
    Do you think I should go for the 704? The 803? Or try both even if it's a burden?

Thanks in advance

Yad
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

You could buy both and then resell the ones you don't like.

I think much will depend on what you like and your room setup. That said, my gut feel says the matrix 803 will be the better sounding speaker.

Cheers
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• azazel
      • Dec 2010

Matrix 803 sound excellent! Much better value

Comment

• KRC
        • Aug 2004

I would go with the 803, but keep in mind you are buying something that is 20 years old. As they say, buyer beware!

Kevin

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"