X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gostan
    • May 2003

Amplifier Upgrade For N803's

I have a great opportunity to pick up an open box Bryston 14BST (600Wx2) for a great price. This unit would replace my Aragon 8008ST (200x2) and would power my front N803's. I know that the bottom end for 2-channel listening (about 75% of my useage v. 25% HT) would be greatly improved and the entire sound field would open up dramatically, but the 803's have power handling of 50W-250W into 8ohms on unclipped program per B&W specs. Is the Bryston overkill? Or is this my final 2-channel amplifier upgrade.

The funny thing is that I went to my dealer to investigate adding a turntable and vinyl back into my system. But, I got sidetracked listening to the new 802D's (WOW!) Wait until those babies break in. I am still thinking about the turntable, but the opportunity to upgrade to the Bryston amp is very difficult to pass up. The only aesthetic downside is that it is the 19" rack-mount version with handles.
    Stan
  • jahlion
    • Feb 2005

I think it would be a little overkill... That Aragon you already have is a good match for your 803's. I've heard good things about that amp's rock-solid build quality. However, if you are getting a really good deal on the Bryston, and may get 802D's in the future, go for it!

Comment

• Mark_C.
      • Jan 2003

A waste of money. That Aragon is plenty for the 803s. If you were going to 802s or 800, then, yes, definitely go for the Bryston beast. Otherwise, save your money. Scratch you upgrade itch some other way.

Comment

• DrBoom
        • Dec 2003

I think I smell a i-already-made-up-my-mind-but-still-want-to-ask thread :B
        If you can afford them, like them, and feel like buying them, by all means go for the Bryston.
        The Aragon is supposed to be a great amp as well (haven't heard it yet) and should be fine, but if you feel like upgrading, and are asured that it will be a significant upgrade, why not go for it ?

The only aesthetic downside is that it is the 19" rack-mount version with handles.
        You get used to that, my Parasound 2205AT has rack handles too, doesn't bother me.

Comment

• gostan
          • May 2003

No, I have not made up my mind yet. And an upgrade to 802's is at least two years away. I really do want to put a turntable and vinyl back into my system. However, when I think about how much I am going to spend on new vinyl to go with the turntable, then, some of my cd's and sacd's sound pretty good and that makes the price of the Bryston worth considering. The Aragon is a very good amp which I have been quite happy with.
          Stan

Comment

• Stockinv
            • Jan 2005

Would the Aragon 8008mkII be a good match for the new 802D's? Or should I step up to something more powerful?

Comment

• Phil Rose
              • Aug 2000

The Bryston would be great for the N803s, would let you upgrade to 802D later and has a 20 year warranty. With the 14B you'd hear all the dynamics that the music had to offer on a black background. I'm not sure your Aragon could match the control and dynamics of the Bryston. Also, don't worry about the 600wpc rating. You'll leave the room before you reach that level.

If the rack front panel bothers you, you can get a 17 inch front panel in black or silver from the factory and replace it. You're not locked into the 19 inch rack mount.

A question that you want to ask yourself about vinyl is whether or not the kind of music you want to listen to is available on vinyl before diving in. If yes, then go for it, if not then work on improving your digital front end. Also, if you're using a pre/pro instead of a stereo pre-amp you might want to stick with digital.

Comment

• jahlion
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Stockinv
                Would the Aragon 8008mkII be a good match for the new 802D's? Or should I step up to something more powerful?
                I would be perfectly happy with that combination too. If the choice was 803's and the Bryston or 802D's and the Aragon, I would choose the Aragon.

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
                  • Mar 2005

I don't know of any Nautilus speaker, or in the new replacement line, that doesn't prefer more power, as long as it is quality, which the Bryston is.

Comment

• turnitup
                    • Feb 2005

My N803's need more power..advice please

I posted a thread asking for help on what to get in another post i started with little feedback. You guys sure like this thread so I will ask here.

just got the N803 and Arcam CD 23 on saturday
                    have 2150B amp and SM 2 pre amp from Perreaux I got in 1984. the 2150B is a monster, buy for sure I can tell I am not getting the sound I should, loud it is muddy,instruments arent clear and I dont love it. I paid good money to really love it. Help me guys.
                    my budget is $2-2500. for amp/pre or integrated.

If I need to spend 3k I guess I could if it makes enough difference.

thanks for the help.
                    Mitch
                    stepup@cox.net

Comment

• js24
                      • Feb 2005

Try Musical Fidelity A5
                      250W 8ohm 400W 4ohm $2500 USD
                      or some other old MF stuff
                      Rotel is always safe

good luck

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
                        • Mar 2005

Js24 gives good advice, look into the MF A5. Also, I once owned N803's and they were 'ok', but once adding a Jeff Rowland Concentra II they really came to life; that setup makes one of my top three favorite systems that I have owned; if patient you may be able to get one on www.audiogon.com for close to 3k.

Comment

• NonSense
                          • Nov 2003

Hey Guys

I've recently had a chance to see a bunch of the new Musical Fidelity gear at the Montreal show. Beautiful cosmetics. The A5 CD player sounded good, however it was being mated to the kW series electronics for Pre/Pwr. I might be a little suspect of the A5 integrated to perform the duties required by a pair of N803's. (IMO) The unit was somewhat small and certainly not heavy enough to hold the transformer you would expect to deliver the boasted 250W's. I would audition this unit thoroughly to ensure it doesn't run out of juice when large demands are made for current.

Otherwise, they are statement pieces for sure. Both the A5 and kW look amazing.
                          Bruce

Comment

• Fife
                            • Apr 2004

B&W dont just need large power, they need high current amps that can provide the juice to drive them well.

The Aragon 8008ST is a good Amp and I would place it in the same caliber as a Bryston 4B ST.
                            However, I would only use the 4B's for 804.
                            If going to 803 or 802, I would definitely feed it a 7B/14B SST or two 4B's (2 Aragons in your case).

MF is a good match for B&W as well.

For B&W: Current is King.

Comment

• js24
                              • Feb 2005

check out www.musicalfidelity.com and read some reveiws on the A5s (both integ. and CDP plus the recently released separates) I think the pple at MF are one of the best in PRs....:blah:

The integ. A5 has relatively higher current capacities (~75amps peak?) and
                              250W, IMHO, should be enough to drive anything up to reasonable levels
                              my A5 has no problem driving my 703s :driver: and I've seen quite a few using the MF A308 (150W) for N803s
                              I think all the amps recommended here are great, I would go borrow some amps from local dealers and have fun.
                              good luck :T

Comment

• Zoran
                                • Apr 2005

Is it Bryston's super clarity in higher frequencies good match for B&W Nautilus series? A few customers complain on a bit bright metal-dome tweeter, rather in N803 than N804 - later seems to be a whisker little more polite (according to some editorial reviews, the same relation between 703 vs 704 - interesting point).
                                Keeping that in mind, I would be very cautious with Brystons, particularly with BST series which is considered as brighter than BSST successors...

Just impression, not hard opinion, since never owned Bryston amp.

Zoran, Macedonia

Comment

• caleb
                                  • Aug 2004

I have two Bryston 7B SST driving my 802's and IMHO they are well suited.

If I'm not mistaken you can swop the 19" faceplate with handles for a 17" version without handles if this troubles you.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"