X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

802 Series Diamond Purchase Advice

Hello. I currently reside in Victoria BC Canada. Comments from locals would be greatly appreciated, as well as input from everyone else.

I am planning on buying a pair of 802's. The Canadian full retail price is $16500.

I have never bought anything at this price level and am wondering what kind of deal/haggling I can get away with, without seeming cocky or rude. Should one expect free delivery/set up? What kind of % discount should I expect? Note that I will be paying in cash for the 802's. I am hoping that by paying cash it will give me an extra bit of leverage when it comes to negotiating. If anyone from Victoria has experience in dealing with the guys at Sound Hounds, please comment and let me know how it was. Also, anyone in Canada who has bought the 802's please comment and let me know what kind of a deal you got on them. I know this type of question comes up a lot, I am asking in hopes of talking specifically with Victorians, or Canadians, who have purchased the 802's. And again, as I said, non Canadian comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated as well. Thank you everybody. This is an amazing forum here at HT Guide. I've been on here for years.

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • leo2498
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by BWLover
    Hello. I currently reside in Victoria BC Canada. Comments from locals would be greatly appreciated, as well as input from everyone else.

I am planning on buying a pair of 802's. The Canadian full retail price is $16500.

I have never bought anything at this price level and am wondering what kind of deal/haggling I can get away with, without seeming cocky or rude. Should one expect free delivery/set up? What kind of % discount should I expect? Note that I will be paying in cash for the 802's. I am hoping that by paying cash it will give me an extra bit of leverage when it comes to negotiating. If anyone from Victoria has experience in dealing with the guys at Sound Hounds, please comment and let me know how it was. Also, anyone in Canada who has bought the 802's please comment and let me know what kind of a deal you got on them. I know this type of question comes up a lot, I am asking in hopes of talking specifically with Victorians, or Canadians, who have purchased the 802's. And again, as I said, non Canadian comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated as well. Thank you everybody. This is an amazing forum here at HT Guide. I've been on here for years.

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
    the general agreement is a least 10% is the initial point, many owner could get better discount if you have a large relationship with your dealer, free delivery is a rule in the majority of dealers as well so I think that it is not negotiate point. larger discount of 10% is very difficult but always with some dealer you could get until 15% but if you get a 20% you will be one lucky man.

All this is tax not included.
    Leo,
    Saludos
    My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I agree... you'll get what you can... you have some wiggle room and you can haggle as far as you want...however, retailers will only come down as much as they "want" to. Not to what they can. It's more about building a sense of coming back and making return purchases from the place you buy. I've done that with all my equipment purchases and have never felt I gotten ripped off by any place. Some I've gotten really good deals... and some not so much. My 802Diamonds & HTM2Diamond, I got a price untouched by any other place I looked tried to work with. So I went with them and it worked out. And now... When I can afford to.... I'll be going back and moving from Rotel to Classe, though I will buy each separately (ie CP-800 and after that's paid off, replace my amp with monoblocks).

All you can do is just keep being unsure about your purchase as it's sooo much money...but you have to come off as wanting them. The best thing to do is your research...know your rough cost on what YOU want to pay (as long as it's not completely unreasonable). Then learn everything you can about the speaker and come in sounding knowledgeable. Right there, they will know that you know the retail cost and know they can work deals on the speaker.

There's two types of people that walk into the stores. Those that have no clue what they are looking for and the retailer knows he will have to do work to sell anything to them and the other is the people that just walk in and know exactly what they want and the retailer just has to close the deal. The second type of people often get much better deals than the first type.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Rod#S
        • Oct 2010

I'm on the opposite side of the country, what the guys above posted is good advice. 10% is a good starting point, you shouldn't be paying full MSRP on anything really even if you have no relationship at all with the dealer. If a dealer quotes and sticks to MSRP just find another dealer, simple as that really. I have seen people post discounts from 10% all the way up to mid 20's so this is going to vary greatly by region I suspect. If there is more than one B&W dealer in your area then that competition will most likely prove beneficial to you.

There was no "extra" cost for delivery for my 802's and 800's but seeing as the dealer had to get a shipping company to get them here and unpacked due to their size I think it's safe to say that the cost, at least in part if not all was past onto me. This is more because the dealer is small and just can't accommodate extra staff and vehicles for moving large equipment, if they did then it would most likely truly be free. No big deal really because doing it yourself will be no fun at all and you need 2 or 3 people, there's no way around it. If your dealer is larger and has the infrastructure to accommodate big moves then delivery may very well be free.

Dealers seem to vary on whether they will bend more when it's cash. I know it makes no difference with my dealer and I have been buying from them since 2002 but they always get me prices which are to my satisfaction regardless if I'm paying with cash or credit.
        B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"