which of those Classe's is best on the 802s?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmt
    • Jan 2005

which of those Classe's is best on the 802s?

First of all my apologies! This is a question about amps - preamps, maybe I should have post this in the audio hideout forum, but since Classe seems to go together with B&W speakers I'll post it in this group.
    note: all prices I mention are in euro, but you can substitute it for dollar.
    Situation: I'm starting from scratch for some audio equipment that will last me for years to come.
    I'm going to buy second hand Nautilus 802 speakers for about 5500 - 6000 euro/dollars.
    Now here are the questions:

1) I can also buy a Classe CA-401 for 4600, only 2 months old, or a CA-301 for around 3600. Is the $1000 difference justified? The 802s are rated upto 500Watts so I would think the bigger the amp the better. Since an amplifier can last for several years and it's one of the most important parts of an installation, I'm considering the CA-401, since it has more power available for those hungry 802s.

2) what would be a good pre-amp for this system? CP-35 for 800 or CP.47.5 for 1500? I think the big difference is the CP47.5 having true balanced circuits, and the CP-35 only having balanced outputs, but not fully balanced internal circuits. Am I correct?

3) any suggestions about source components? Can a CD-P10 ($1500) play SACD? I don't have a lot of expierence with cd players.

thanks a lot for the help!
  • Frustrated
    • Jan 2005

Classe

Stay away from the SSPs (300 & 600).

Comment

• jlee
      • Aug 2004

My suggestion:

Go for the CAM-350's for amps.
      Go at least 47.5 for preamp.
      CDP-10 is good for CD, but doesn't play SACD. The new Musical Fidelity A5 is also one you should consider for your 802's.
      I would also suggest getting a REL stadium III to go with your 802's.

Comment

• DanR
        • Dec 2004

I would save the grand and buy the CA-301. Great amp with more than enough power to drive the 802's. I have demoed this amp on my 802's and you will be more than satisfied. PLENTY of power. Use the extra 1000 for the CP 47 and fully balanced cables.
        :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• Fraise
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Frustrated
          Stay away from the SSPs (300 & 600).
          for what reasoning?

are the CAM-400s out of the question?

Comment

• Frustrated
            • Jan 2005

The SSPs, especially the 600 model is a rip-off. All you are paying for is one extra component. The balance board..If you happen to blow the fuse on the main power supply, you will have to take apart most of the processor to change it. A major inconvenience to say the least.

Comment

• tmt
              • Jan 2005

CA-301 then...

I can also get a Krell 2250 for the same price as the CA-301.
              2 CAM-350 monoblocks would cost me $7000, which is too much...

I want an amplifier (one I can afford) that will bring out everything the 802 has to offer. But when you get to a certain level the improvements in relation to the increased costs is getting smaller and smaller.

It's amusing when you read a few CA-401 reviews on audioreview where the guy is raving about the 401 being a lot better than a 301, but it's not uncommon in the hifi world that small audible differences are sometimes blown out of proportion.

review from that guy:
              "I personally liked the punchier sound of the VT100, and was going to buy it, when for fun I substituted a Classe 401 for the 301, and the result was startling. The 401 is not just 100 watts stronger, but has a different character that is immediately apparent. Its just as smooth as the others, but the soundstage opened up from being mostly in between the speakers to occupying the whole front of the room, and the impact from something like a Dave Mathews CD went from good to Oh-my-God."

Comment

• Glen B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by tmt
                what would be a good pre-amp for this system? CP-35 for 800 or CP.47.5 for 1500? I think the big difference is the CP47.5 having true balanced circuits, and the CP-35 only having balanced outputs, but not fully balanced internal circuits. Am I correct?
                TMT, I advised against the CP-35 in my reply to your other post. The CP-35 is not as transparent as Classe's higher level preamps. If your were to purchase a CP-35, it would be a weak link in your system as it would not be at the same level of performance as a CA-301/CA-401/CAM-XXX.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"