X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

804 Diamonds vs 802D v1

Hello. Was wondering about these two speakers and their differences. That is the 1st generation 802D, and the current 804 diamonds. I am trying to decide on which of the two to buy. Thank you in advance for your help.
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

The only way I can describe this would be like this.

802Ds... are well 802Ds.... The sound is very big and open and the bass is pretty powerful... to me it was honestly a little over baring when compared to the 802Dis. The 802Dis were more tight and articulate in the lower range...but it also gives a sort of lacking 'feeling' in this regard.

The 804Dis aren't going to have the bass of the 802Ds... that's just pure fact. And the 804Dis aren't going to have the midrange that the 802Ds will have. However, the 804Dis will have a better upper range due to the re-designed diamond tweeter that's in it. There's just nuances that the old 802D doesn't bring out. Now not saying the 802D is lacking in hardly any ways...just side by side, that's where the difference is going to really noticed. With you having the 683s, you might like the sound of the 804Di better as it'll be more similar than the 802D will be (especially where the tweeter is concerned). I'd defintely say if you can go have listen you should.

It's definitely a tough call. I heard the 802D and 802Di side by side and to me, my old 604s3s sounding more similar to the 802D... but then I heard the 802Dis (well I heard them first) and to me 802Dis were just in another league sound wise.

A question would be... is the 802Ds in the color you want... that could be a deciding factor as well....
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• BWLover
      • Jan 2009

Thanks for your reply

How much do the 802 Diamonds (V2) go for in Canada? MSRP.

How much could I expect to pay for a used pair of 802 Diamonds (V2)?

How much could I expect to pay for a used pair of 802D's (V1)?

How much do the 804 Diamonds go for in Canada? MSRP.

How much could I expect to pay for a used pair of 804 Diamonds?

Between those speakers is where I am trying to decide

One person is selling a used pair of 804 Diamonds for $5500 in Vancouver.

1 pair of B&W 804D speakers.Current generation. Rosenut colour. Speakers are in excellent condition. NO RECEIPT!

I am going to start working in the oil field in Alberta soon. So I will have some extra cash for new speakers!!!

Thanks again people for all your help!

Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
      Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
      Playstation 3
      Shaw HD PVR
      Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
      Playstation 3
      Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• Rod#S
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by BWLover

The 802 Diamonds are $16,500 in Canada if memory serves so I would expect used prices to be around $10k

Oil fields dude, then skip B&W all together and go striaght to Wilson Alexandria XLF's or Focal Grande Utopia EM's :B I know people who started working out there and get to buy all kinds of expensive toys. Just skip the Lamborghini's and Ferrari's and get some speakers :T If you need a sports car just get a less expensive one, like a Mercedes SLS or an Audi R8 :P
        B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• Antioch
          • Feb 2013

[QUOTE=BWLover;574167]Thanks for your reply

How much could I expect to pay for a used pair of 802D's (V1)?

How much do the 804 Diamonds go for in Canada? MSRP.

How much could I expect to pay for a used pair of 804 Diamonds?

ESTIMATES:

802 V2 in the U.S. are $16,000 and there is used pair on Audiogon for $10,995

802 V1 on Audiogon for $7,600

804 D new in U.S. $7,500 and used for a current generation usually run about 65%, so used they should be around $4,800 to $4,900.

There is a used pair of 800 D1 on Audiogon for $13,500.

Pewter gave you a rundown on differences and I would add the following.

The 802's have a very full sound because of the larger box and the marlan head also adds to the midrange of the 802's. I spent about three weeks auditioning the 804 D, 803 D2 and N 802 (also PMC ob1i) at my house. I really liked all three and dropped the N 802 from consideration because I thought the new drivers were providing a faster and better tonal balance to both the 804 D and 803 D2 at least to my ear and I really liked the highs of the diamond tweeter with their new drivers. The 803 D2 won out only because their sound filled my room better than the 804 D and I liked the extra bass they provided. I actually think the tonal balance in the 804 D may have been a little better and if you have a room they work in I would go with them and never look back. I listened to the 802 D2 at the dealer but I didn't want to spend $15,000 and my better half sealed the deal by telling me I wasn't going to have those in her living room. If you really want a speaker that provides a bass slam then look at the 800 D1 at Audiogon or wait for a pair.

If possible listen to them at home. The room is really going to make a big difference. My room is 27' x 17' with a ceiling that is 8' at one end rises to 15' and then drops to 12' so I have a lot of volume to fill. The 804 D sound just got lost in the room. The dealers room was maybe 20' x 12' with an 8' ceiling and they sounded great in that room and it is not set up too well for an audition.

At the dealer I looked really hard at a used set of Wilson's but the wife nixed the silver monoliths. She could live with the 803 D2 and so could I.

Good Luck in the fields and good listening,

Mike

Comment

• scanido
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Rod#S
            The 802 Diamonds are $16,500 in Canada if memory serves so I would expect used prices to be around $10k

Oil fields dude, then skip B&W all together and go striaght to Wilson Alexandria XLF's or Focal Grande Utopia EM's :B I know people who started working out there and get to buy all kinds of expensive toys. Just skip the Lamborghini's and Ferrari's and get some speakers :T If you need a sports car just get a less expensive one, like a Mercedes SLS or an Audi R8 :P
            +50K for speakers?!? 8O Wow, crazy!

Still think the 802 Diamonds have much better price-performance, let alone much better resale!

Comment

• Rod#S
              • Oct 2010

$50K, try $200k, the Focal's are a bit under and the Alexandria's are a little over thus the references to the sports cars
              B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"