My audition of the new B&W 802 & 805 Diamonds - Interesting! (pics)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • btf1980
    • Aug 2007

My audition of the new B&W 802 & 805 Diamonds - Interesting! (pics)

Went with a group to Stereo Exchange in NYC to hear their wares. And the new 800 series were there.

Let me just say that to all the people complaining about the way the speaker looks with the silver trim, rest assured that it looks very handsome in person. I think the flash on camera's pick up the silver accent making it more noticeable in pictures. In person, it's a non issue.

Up first was the 802 Diamonds. They were hooked up to the creme de la creme. Top of the line McIntosh gear. Each speaker was hooked up to the behemoth MC2301 tube amp. The source was an MCD500 SACD player (liquid smooth!)

I know the previous 802Ds like the back of my hand and I have heard them with the same mac gear before, but there are definitely differences. To begin with, the new 802 diamonds are more forward. Not a detraction, but noticeable if you know the previous speakers well. In comparison, the previous model has a more polite sound - tamer even. I was very impressed. Impressed enough to drop the dough on it? Ask me in a few years. Not now.

Now the 805 diamonds impressed the hell out of me. To be frank, and I know I might ruffle up some feathers, but the new 805 diamonds with a top of the line subwoofer from the likes of JL Audio is a much smarter buy than the 802 diamonds. That would be a tremendous combination at a fraction of the 802 price.

The 805 diamonds were connected to a lowly Rotel integrated & marantz cd player. The Wall by Pink Floyd (MFSL copy I think) was put in, and WOW! This speaker images like nobodies business. Tight, crisp and detailed. Excellent midrange. There was a couple in the room with me, and the guy whipped out his credit card after about 10 minutes...I left the room to let them take care of business. I think that says it all. I could buy these speakers & be content for a while.

I honestly think most sales for B&W will be between the 802 and the 805 diamonds. The 802 simply because of the leap in dynamics and bottom end from everything below it, and the 805 by virtue of being the only bookshelf in the line up, making it versatile and the most affordable.

Some pics...

A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.
  • John22614
    • Feb 2010

Thanks so much for the great write up and photos, very interesting and very much appreciated.
    B&W 804s Mains
    B&W HTM4 Center
    Monitor Radius 180 Surrounds

Sony 46 HX929 TV
    Marantz AV 7005 processor
    Anthem MCA 30 Amp
    Panasonic 3D BluRay player

Comment

• Skyblue
      • Jun 2009

So you think that the 805 setup was better than the 802?
      B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Aiden
        • Feb 2010

So far from the 5 posters I have read reviews from regarding the new Diamonds have left the same impressions, that the 805Di seems to be the star of the lineup.

Comment

• Industrial
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Aiden
          So far from the 5 posters I have read reviews from regarding the new Diamonds have left the same impressions, that the 805Di seems to be the star of the lineup.
          I wonder if its just the lower price or actual sound quality? I have set of CM1's. Thinking of upgrading to CM9's but it 805Di are that great I may thinking of getting a pair of those instead.

Comment

• Freddie40
            • Jun 2009

Having owned a pair of 802 Diamonds for almost 1 month I think that you are very correct with your write up. Thanks for sharing with us. The 805s will make a very nice addition for many people because of its size and cost.

Dave
            Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• Aiden
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Industrial
              I wonder if its just the lower price or actual sound quality? I have set of CM1's. Thinking of upgrading to CM9's but it 805Di are that great I may thinking of getting a pair of those instead.

I think too may people get caught uo with the "it costs more, it has to be better" mentality. Granted, I am sure the 802Di is the superior speaker as it should be.

There are many who choose a bookshelf paired with a sub not because it costs less, but because they PREFER the soundstage and imaging they get from a bookshelf and the flexibility that a sub affords in placement. I don't think you'll get any arguments from anyone that placement is the most important aspect of SQ (not to mention the room). Now, if you could correct the room to accommodate a speaker like the 802Di that has very solid low end performance, then that would be the option for that person.

In the end while 5k may not be perceived to be expensive at all, it still isn't cheap when you consider most will add a 4k sub and I'll restate my previous readings, many have felt that the 805Di is the star, probably because it yields the greatest benefit from the revamping of the line (and this has come from many experienced members from a couple of different forums).

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

I wonder if its just the lower price or actual sound quality?
                Cannot separate them. I have to say that I was mightily impressed with the 805Di but am much more interested in the 800Di and 802Di.
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• AV-OCD
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by btf1980
                  I know the previous 802Ds like the back of my hand and I have heard them with the same mac gear before, but there are definitely differences. To begin with, the new 802 diamonds are more forward. Not a detraction, but noticeable if you know the previous speakers well. In comparison, the previous model has a more polite sound - tamer even. I was very impressed. Impressed enough to drop the dough on it? Ask me in a few years. Not now.

Now the 805 diamonds impressed the hell out of me. To be frank, and I know I might ruffle up some feathers, but the new 805 diamonds with a top of the line subwoofer from the likes of JL Audio is a much smarter buy than the 802 diamonds. That would be a tremendous combination at a fraction of the 802 price.

The 805 diamonds were connected to a lowly Rotel integrated & marantz cd player. The Wall by Pink Floyd (MFSL copy I think) was put in, and WOW! This speaker images like nobodies business. Tight, crisp and detailed. Excellent midrange. There was a couple in the room with me, and the guy whipped out his credit card after about 10 minutes...I left the room to let them take care of business. I think that says it all. I could buy these speakers & be content for a while.
                  Hey btf -

Good to hear your take on the two Diamond speaker models, and it is even better to get a bit of validation to the impressions I posted over in the 800 Diamond series thread that caused so much controversy.

Hallo, I spoked with B&W/Classe Switzerland about a pair of 802d but with big surprise .....well in 2010 with come out with the complety NEW series from the Nautilus line!! New electronics inside, new design, new ALL!!!! Wait and buy a 802 or big with a good price? or the newcomer will be so amazing that the

What's even more interesting is that both of our dealers had the two models set-up very similarly (ultra high-end front end on the 802Di's, and the exact same inexpensive Rotel integrated for the 805Di's) and yet we both came away very impressed with the 805Di's. Not that the 802Di's aren't great, they are.

I know there have been some questions about whether price factored into your favorable impression of the 805Di. I can't speak for you, but I can honestly say that it played very little into my impression of the speaker. A good speaker is a good speaker, regardless of price or size. As I mentioned before, I would take the 805Di over most of the larger and more expensive speakers I've owned (Revel, MA Platinum, Focal Electra, KEF Ref). No, the 805Di won't have the ultimate output or bass extension of those speakers, but partner the 805Di with a JL sub as you and I have both suggested, and as long as you are trying to reach concert levels, you would have a very high performance full range speaker system.

Edit: OK so size can come into play if the speaker (usually a small one) seems to play fuller range than you expect. The 805Di and other speakers like the Dynaudio C1 fall into this category.

Comment

• Industrial
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Aiden
                    I think too may people get caught uo with the "it costs more, it has to be better" mentality. Granted, I am sure the 802Di is the superior speaker as it should be.

There are many who choose a bookshelf paired with a sub not because it costs less, but because they PREFER the soundstage and imaging they get from a bookshelf and the flexibility that a sub affords in placement. I don't think you'll get any arguments from anyone that placement is the most important aspect of SQ (not to mention the room). Now, if you could correct the room to accommodate a speaker like the 802Di that has very solid low end performance, then that would be the option for that person.

In the end while 5k may not be perceived to be expensive at all, it still isn't cheap when you consider most will add a 4k sub and I'll restate my previous readings, many have felt that the 805Di is the star, probably because it yields the greatest benefit from the revamping of the line (and this has come from many experienced members from a couple of different forums).
                    All I know is I want a pair! Even with my little CM1's when I'm playing vinyl I set my pre/pro to bypass which shuts off all sound processing/tone control/sub and I still love the sound. So I can see myself being happy with the 805Di and my simple Mirage sub.

Comment

• btf1980
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Skyblue
                      So you think that the 805 setup was better than the 802?
                      The 802 is the more powerful speaker, but I simply think the jump from the 805s to the 805Di is much more dramatic than the 802D to the 802Di. The 802Di is more forward than its predecessor. The 805Di sounds like a completely different animal than the 805s. It is the star of the show.

Comment

• btf1980
                        • Aug 2007

It's not just about money. The 805 diamonds are the real deal. But, I can't see how someone shopping for new speakers won't consider the finances.

Option 1 - 802di = $15,000
                        Option 2 - 805di = $5,000 + JL Audio Fathom f112 = $2,900

I would take option 2 in a heartbeat personally.

Comment

• btf1980
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by AV-OCD
                          Hey btf -

Good to hear your take on the two Diamond speaker models, and it is even better to get a bit of validation to the impressions I posted over in the 800 Diamond series thread that caused so much controversy.

Hallo, I spoked with B&W/Classe Switzerland about a pair of 802d but with big surprise .....well in 2010 with come out with the complety NEW series from the Nautilus line!! New electronics inside, new design, new ALL!!!! Wait and buy a 802 or big with a good price? or the newcomer will be so amazing that the

What's even more interesting is that both of our dealers had the two models set-up very similarly (ultra high-end front end on the 802Di's, and the exact same inexpensive Rotel integrated for the 805Di's) and yet we both came away very impressed with the 805Di's. Not that the 802Di's aren't great, they are.

I know there have been some questions about whether price factored into your favorable impression of the 805Di. I can't speak for you, but I can honestly say that it played very little into my impression of the speaker. A good speaker is a good speaker, regardless of price or size. As I mentioned before, I would take the 805Di over most of the larger and more expensive speakers I've owned (Revel, MA Platinum, Focal Electra, KEF Ref). No, the 805Di won't have the ultimate output or bass extension of those speakers, but partner the 805Di with a JL sub as you and I have both suggested, and as long as you are trying to reach concert levels, you would have a very high performance full range speaker system.

Edit: OK so size can come into play if the speaker (usually a small one) seems to play fuller range than you expect. The 805Di and other speakers like the Dynaudio C1 fall into this category.
                          Don't know why there would be controversy, those are my findings, and my friends & dealer all agreed. My favorite small speaker was the Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento. That changed today. I think the 805Di is tremendous. A giant killer in the truest sense.

Comment

• Pedro
                            • Jan 2006

The 802Di is more forward than its predecessor.
                            Considering this impression do you prefer its predecessor (802D)? Have you noted some more bass extension or more detail in the new one?

Comment

• jamesdaman
                              • Apr 2008

I need some help then. I've got the 805S I was going to keep
                              those and get some stuff from classe and replace my quad gear but if the new 805Di are so good maybe keep my amp and get the speakers???

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by jamesdaman
                                I need some help then. I've got the 805S I was going to keep
                                those and get some stuff from classe and replace my quad gear but if the new 805Di are so good maybe keep my amp and get the speakers???
                                I'd personally place a speaker upgrade over a front end change, but the only way to know which is more important to you is to go take a listen to the 805Di's.

Comment

• jamesdaman
                                  • Apr 2008

Haha yeh maybe I should go listen to them but I'm actualy scared lol the other reason i asked was because the few dealers I've spoke to all have told me to change the amp so it's all abit confusing

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

The Quad 909 is a small amp. How easy would it be to take it for a trip down to your local dealer and listen for yourself. Better still do a home audition with the 805, although they may be unwilling to let them out of the store at this early stage.

The Quad 909 is known for its midrange which is said to excellent. Teamed with the ultra low distortion 2905 it is said to be stunning. No reason why the 909 and 805 would not also work very well also.
                                    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Skyblue
                                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                      Cannot separate them. I have to say that I was mightily impressed with the 805Di but am much more interested in the 800Di and 802Di.
                                      Me too. Any news on you getting them for review, or are you even allowed to say so?
                                      B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Skyblue
                                        Me too. Any news on you getting them for review, or are you even allowed to say so?
                                        Soon.
                                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• btf1980
                                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Pedro
                                          Considering this impression do you prefer its predecessor (802D)? Have you noted some more bass extension or more detail in the new one?
                                          I prefer the new 802Di. There is definitely more detail on the high end & midrange. Bass seems to be a bit tighter. Enough to warrant an upgrade? If I had the previous 802D, I would stick with it.

If I had the 805s & I was looking to upgrade to a similar sized speaker, then I would get the 805Di.

Comment

• btf1980
                                            • Aug 2007

BTW - I also listened to other speakers, including the Meridian DSP8000 & Sonus Faber Stradivari.

Go here to see my other post with pics.

Comment

• Orb
                                              • Aug 2008

Don't know why there would be controversy, those are my findings, and my friends & dealer all agreed. My favorite small speaker was the Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento. That changed today. I think the 805Di is tremendous. A giant killer in the truest sense.
                                              That has made me take note and I guess was a surprise for you as it looks like as you say the 805di is a giant killer and hitting above its price.
                                              Please could you share what you liked about the Memento, and how the 805Di was an improvement over it.

You know what would also be interesting, how the 804Di compares as this has the FST, while also benefiting from the diamond tweeter and woofer upgrade.
                                              I appreciate the comments about using a sub for integration but still curious how the 804Di does.

Looking forward to your comment regarding the Sonus/805Di as I will look to audition both next year, along with a few other standmounts higher priced than the 805.

Cheers
                                              Orb

Comment

• scanido
                                                • Apr 2006

I prefer the new 802Di. There is definitely more detail on the high end & midrange. Bass seems to be a bit tighter. Enough to warrant an upgrade? If I had the previous 802D, I would stick with it.

If I had the 805s & I was looking to upgrade to a similar sized speaker, then I would get the 805Di.
                                                Not sure how there can be more detail in the midrange as the FST and Marlan head hasn't changed. Maybe the change in x-overs made most of this difference you are hearing?

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by scanido
                                                  Not sure how there can be more detail in the midrange as the FST and Marlan head hasn't changed. Maybe the change in x-overs made most of this difference you are hearing?
                                                  A simple change in speaker "voicing" (frequency response curve) can affect the perception of midrange detail. The original 802D had a swayback FR curve (boosted bass and treble), which can give the impression of a recessed midrange. If the FR curve on the new 802Di is flatter, then the midrange would become more forward (relatively speaking) and it would be easier to hear details in the midrange than before. The new crossover would be responsible for the change in voicing, and to some extent the change in parts could also affect the resolution of the speaker as well since the musical signal has to pass through this filter before reaching the drivers.

Comment

• style
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Feb 2006

Great Tim,

I wrote that the 805d and 804d was / are THE only 2 VERY NEWs from B&W!!!

The "big" model are from every B&W fans known!!!! but the 2 new Diamont are are truly jewels!!
                                                    :T :T :T :T
                                                    Style

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by style
                                                      Great Tim,

I wrote that the 805d and 804d was / are THE only 2 VERY NEWs from B&W!!!

The "big" model are from every B&W fans known!!!! but the 2 new Diamont are are truly jewels!!
                                                      :T :T :T :T
                                                      Style
                                                      Hey Omar -

Did you get your 804Di's yet?

My first pair of 805Di's should arrive this Wednesday.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Nov 2009

To those that have also listened to the 804s would you consider the 805Di to be an upgrade? Pricing is very similar and I am wondering if I should change my 804s. I have always loved the sound of a good 2-way speaker..
                                                        Main System:
                                                        B&W 801D
                                                        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                        Oppo BDP-105
                                                        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                        B&W CM7
                                                        Emotiva UMC-1
                                                        Emotiva UPA-2
                                                        Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Orb
                                                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                                                          To those that have also listened to the 804s would you consider the 805Di to be an upgrade? Pricing is very similar and I am wondering if I should change my 804s. I have always loved the sound of a good 2-way speaker..
                                                          Heya Stu,
                                                          I think you would need to listen to both as they have different midrange driver, add to that the changes to woofer that may improve the 804Di as well.
                                                          Be nice to hear if anyone has compared both 804Di and 805Di.
                                                          Even then, Stu its advisable to listen to both due to the differences I mentioned.

Cheers
                                                          Orb

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Orb
                                                            Heya Stu,
                                                            I think you would need to listen to both as they have different midrange driver, add to that the changes to woofer that may improve the 804Di as well.
                                                            Even then, Stu its advisable to listen to both due to the differences I mentioned.

Cheers
                                                            Orb
                                                            Oh Yeah... An audition is always first! I just wanted to see what peoples impressions were. I have to believe the 804s will have more punch and base, but I would be willing to sacrafice that for a smoother better image.

The new 800 series won't be making an appearance at my dealer until end of April...
                                                            Main System:
                                                            B&W 801D
                                                            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                            Oppo BDP-105
                                                            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                            B&W CM7
                                                            Emotiva UMC-1
                                                            Emotiva UPA-2
                                                            Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Orb
                                                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                                                              Oh Yeah... An audition is always first! I just wanted to see what peoples impressions were. I have to believe the 804s will have more punch and base, but I would be willing to sacrafice that for a smoother better image.

The new 800 series won't be making an appearance at my dealer until end of April...
                                                              May also come down to the midrange driver, some have a preference one way or the other when it comes to the FST; the 804Di has FST while 805Di does not.
                                                              Although it may not have a noticable affect in short term, or even at all for most.

Cheers
                                                              Orb

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Orb
                                                                Heya Stu,

Cheers
                                                                Orb
                                                                Pulled from AVS:
                                                                Originally posted by FAUguy
                                                                I noticed on the far left side of this picture there is another B&W floor-standing speaker.
                                                                Was that an older 804S/803S/D or a new 804/803 Diamond?
                                                                If it was a newer Diamond model, did you try it?
                                                                That was the 804 diamond. A guy at the gym just bought a pair for his den, so I have listened to them extensively, no point in listening at the dealer.

My thoughts? The 805di with a sub is just as good.

Again, with these new series, it will be the 802Di and the 805Di that will be the bestsellers. Also, there might be a new found interest for the previous 802D. While the 803Di is great, you could easily buy a gently used 802D with money to spare for what the 803Di costs. Crossovers, tweeters etc cannot defy physics. The 802D would be a smarter purchase. Provided you have space for them.

Comment

• Industrial
                                                                  • Mar 2009

Seeing as your a CM9 owner. What would you pick today, CM9's or the new 805di (plus better subs down the road)?

Edit: because this is the road I will be going down in a few of months.

Comment

• btf1980
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2007

Seeing as your a CM9 owner. What would you pick today, CM9's or the new 805di (plus better subs down the road)?

Edit: because this is the road I will be going down in a few of months.
                                                                    805di for sure. :T

Comment

• btf1980
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Orb
                                                                      That has made me take note and I guess was a surprise for you as it looks like as you say the 805di is a giant killer and hitting above its price.
                                                                      Please could you share what you liked about the Memento, and how the 805Di was an improvement over it.

You know what would also be interesting, how the 804Di compares as this has the FST, while also benefiting from the diamond tweeter and woofer upgrade.
                                                                      I appreciate the comments about using a sub for integration but still curious how the 804Di does.

Looking forward to your comment regarding the Sonus/805Di as I will look to audition both next year, along with a few other standmounts higher priced than the 805.

Cheers
                                                                      Orb
                                                                      The Guarneri Memento still rates high with me, but the 805di is a bit more resolving. Compared to the 805di, I don't think it has the same authority on the bottom end. This is irrelevant if you use a sub. The 805di is also more affordable than the memento, while conceding nothing in terms of performance. Just my opinion.

Comment

• Orb
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2008

Thanks Tim.
                                                                        btf1980 (assuming its same person here hehe) can you expand on what you feel is better/same on 805Di to the 804Di.
                                                                        Curious as the 804 and 803 share the same midrange and woofer magnets (although I appreciate the 804 is smaller and maybe the reason on preference), I would had expected you to also prefer 805Di with sub over the 803Di.
                                                                        Or is there more to the 803Di than what the 805Di with sub offers.

Thanks
                                                                        Orb

Comment

• Orb
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2008

The Guarneri Memento still rates high with me, but the 805di is a bit more resolving. Compared to the 805di, I don't think it has the same authority on the bottom end. This is irrelevant if you use a sub. The 805di is also more affordable than the memento, while conceding nothing in terms of performance. Just my opinion.
                                                                          Good to hear and thanks for the info, sounds like the 805Di is going to generate a lot of interest and will be looking forward to hearing it.

Thanks
                                                                          Orb

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Nov 2009
                                                                            • 1241

Originally posted by Orb
                                                                            May also come down to the midrange driver, some have a preference one way or the other when it comes to the FST; the 804Di has FST while 805Di does not.
                                                                            Although it may not have a noticable affect in short term, or even at all for most.

Cheers
                                                                            Orb
                                                                            Yeah.. For sure.. I have always liked the FST, although with the 805 two-way design I am sure they were able to better integrate the mid/bass then with a 3-way design. Will this offset what is lost on the FST? I guess it will depend on who is listening.. These are exciting times... :W
                                                                            Main System:
                                                                            B&W 801D
                                                                            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                            Oppo BDP-105
                                                                            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                            B&W CM7
                                                                            Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                            Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                            Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• wettou
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2006
                                                                              • 3389

#39
                                                                              BTW - I also listened to other speakers, including the Meridian DSP8000 & Sonus Faber Stradivari.

Go here to see my other post with pics.
                                                                              http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=36322
                                                                              Outstanding thank you great pictures, I wish I were there :B
                                                                              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2008
                                                                                • 568

#40
                                                                                I haven't liistened to the SF Guarneri Memento, but man that is one expensive standmount.

I think Fremer of Stereophile said it best: "... while the Guarneri Memento's cabinet looks spectacular, it's still a 6" woofer and a familiar Scan-Speak ring-radiator tweeter in a box. "

Comment

• Highroller
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2010
                                                                                  • 27

#41

Curious, if the cost difference between the 802Di and the 802D was $1500, would you go with 802Di or 802D? Would anybody ever feel the 802D sounded better than the 802Di?

Comment

• Highroller
                                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2010
                                                                                    • 27

#42
                                                                                    A lot of people seem to be recommending the JL audio f112... is it better than the ASW855? what is the difference?

Thank you

Comment

• Aiden
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2010
                                                                                      • 56

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Highroller
                                                                                      A lot of people seem to be recommending the JL audio f112... is it better than the ASW855? what is the difference?

Thank you
                                                                                      From an objective standpoint, it is the superior sub. Subjectively, everyone has varying opinions.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2005
                                                                                        • 1537

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by Highroller

Thank you
                                                                                        I sold my 855, as nice of a sub it was I feel it was overpriced for how limiting it was. My next expensive sub will be a JL.
                                                                                        B&W

Comment

• jamesdaman
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Apr 2008
                                                                                          • 136

#45
                                                                                          I'm going to try an listen to the new 805d this week, if I can hear a big differnce from my current 805s (and I can stretch my budget hehe) I may buy a pair. Fingers crossed I hear a differnce

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"