My audition of the new B&W 802 & 805 Diamonds - Interesting! (pics)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Industrial
    • Mar 2009

Too bad the official 805di stands costs so damn much (for stands). For just a little more I can get the 804di's! Too many beautiful choices

Comment

• Isaac
      • Jan 2006

RA-1520 and B&W805

I am courious how those 805 Diamonds sound paired with that Rotel RA-1520 that is only rated at 60 watts. It seems like the B&W's would be a bit under powered. I would be glad if that rotel could drive those speakers with ease.

Comment

• jamesdaman
        • Apr 2008

Well I spoke to one dealer and he said the are Much easier to drive then thebold range. I already have 805 stands, I'm guessing they are the same?

Comment

• btf1980
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Highroller
          Curious, if the cost difference between the 802Di and the 802D was $1500, would you go with 802Di or 802D? Would anybody ever feel the 802D sounded better than the 802Di?
          It's all subjective of course, but the 802di is better, but how much better it's worth to people depends. I would personally stick with the 802D if I had them, as it's a fine speaker. I've seen 802Ds as low as $8K on Audiogon. I don't think the price disparity can be ignored. Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm no Bill Gates. :B
          A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• btf1980
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Isaac
            I am courious how those 805 Diamonds sound paired with that Rotel RA-1520 that is only rated at 60 watts. It seems like the B&W's would be a bit under powered. I would be glad if that rotel could drive those speakers with ease.
            They sounded fine, but listening was at moderate levels.

Comment

• btf1980
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Highroller
              A lot of people seem to be recommending the JL audio f112... is it better than the ASW855? what is the difference?

Thank you
              It's better in every conceivable way.

Comment

• ssabripo
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by btf1980
                as are a slew of other subs... SVS PB13-ultra, Seaton Submerssive, etc, etc.
                My simple HT setup
                4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• Aiden
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by ssabripo

Well, it is no secret that a LARGE box will have greater overall output. There is no replacement for displacement.

Comment

• btf1980
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by ssabripo
                    Agreed! You know a thing or two about subs. :T

Comment

• AV-OCD
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by btf1980
                      What I love most about my JL F112, is that it has the power and impact of a much larger sub in a nice compact box (relatively speaking).

When I bought the F112 to replace my Velodyne DD15, I did so to get a smaller, more room-friendly box, and I was willing to accept some compromises to make the switch. I was pleasantly surprised when the JL actually outperformed the Velo in every area, including slam, punch and "musicality".

I'm sure that you could find its performance equal in a larger box, but to me having that performance in a small cabinet is worth the premium.

Comment

• btf1980
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by AV-OCD
                        What I love most about my JL F112, is that it has the power and impact of a much larger sub in a nice compact box (relatively speaking).

When I bought the F112 to replace my Velodyne DD15, I did so to get a smaller, more room-friendly box, and I was willing to accept some compromises to make the switch. I was pleasantly surprised when the JL actually outperformed the Velo in every area, including slam, punch and "musicality".

I'm sure that you could find its performance equal in a larger box, but to me having that performance in a small cabinet is worth the premium.
                        Agreed.

Audiophiles are crazy people. Who else can wax poetics about a 115lb box being "small". :B

Comment

• alebonau
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Isaac
                          I have heard the 805s run off the musical fidelity a1 class A amplifier and even through the amp is only rated at 36w pc it was an excellent match for a fantastic result. I dont think the 805 series bookshelf speaker is a power hungry hard to drive behemoth so doent seem to need big monsterous amp to do its thing. By the sounds of it the 805D seems along similar lines in being easy to drive and a benign load as a speaker. a good thing as gives you more choices amp wise
                          "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• ssabripo
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Aiden
                            Well, it is no secret that a LARGE box will have greater overall output. There is no replacement for displacement.
                            who said anything about a large box?

i'm talking about accurate, undistorted, low frequency response with good headroom and low extension... :T
                            My simple HT setup
                            4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• magicvinny
                              • Jul 2008

How would you compare the XT8 with the 805D?
                              I have the PV1.

100% HT.

Comment

• kmcheng
                                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by magicvinny
                                How would you compare the XT8 with the 805D?
                                I have the PV1.

100% HT.
                                I previously compared an XT4 vs. 805S at the dealer. Even without the sub, the 805S sounded more powerful, natural and open. I immediately knew that I liked the 805S much better. I hope you can find a dealer who has both the XT8 and the 805D on display so that you can hear for yourself. But I believe that the only attribute that the XT series has over the 800-series is the form factor.

Comment

• RedWolf
                                  • Sep 2007

I just finished a side by side comparison of the 804s with the 804Di. The 804Di provides more information at a better speed in the mid-range than the 804s. Does the 804Di wow me to the point of purchase, No. My reference is that I attend live performances at least twice a month at some of the best performance halls. I hoped that B&W would have wowed me to the point of purchase. It did not happen. The speaker is still missing something. I agreed to allow the dealer more time to break them in.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"