X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ejr1953
    • Apr 2012

B&W 805 Diamonds vs. 804 Diamonds?

I am very happy with my current music audio system (NAD Masters Series M3, M4 & M5), Velodyne Optimum 10 sub, Furman power conditioner, Audioquest cables and B&W CM5's on stands. Silly me, I had some free time the other day and stopped by my favorite audio salon to audition the new PM1's. I would have been satisfied to upgrade to the PM1's, but my salesman offered to hook up the 805 Diamonds and I was REALLY impressed with the sound. I heard sounds on some of my favorite CD's I'd never heard before, very nice and very detailed, without any "rough edges".

I didn't intend to make a purchase that day, came home and reviewed the B&W website, comparing the 805 Diamonds with the 804 Diamonds (when you add the cost of the stands for the 805's, the 804's are "only" about $1800 more). I'm wondering if anyone has compared these two in detail. I suspect that the three way system would be better with vocals, violins, pianos, guitars, etc. I suspect the bass is better, but with a good sub, that's not as much of a concern for me.

Thoughts?
  • leo2498
    • Feb 2012

Hi ejr1953, I have both speakers and they are really good, but I prefer the 804D for music listening because the FTS driver, in bass output a good subwoofer could be better but in mids the FTS worth every penny, if you plan could be a long listening sessions, I will prefer the 804D.
    Leo,
    Saludos
    My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• ejr1953
      • Apr 2012

leo2498,

Thanks for the info. I'm invited to an event next week at my favorite audio shop, if I can, I'll preview the 804d's. Let's just say, my wife is not what I'd call an "audiophile", so I suspect it'll be better to make the leap to a much better speaker, one that I'd enjoy for a long time, and not get the urge to do another upgrade so soon.

Comment

• Skyblue
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by ejr1953
        leo2498,

Thanks for the info. I'm invited to an event next week at my favorite audio shop, if I can, I'll preview the 804d's. Let's just say, my wife is not what I'd call an "audiophile", so I suspect it'll be better to make the leap to a much better speaker, one that I'd enjoy for a long time, and not get the urge to do another upgrade so soon.
        For the "no upgrade soon" feeling, I would recommend the follwing:

B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

If I ever become rich I would love seven of those in a dedicated home theater room to look like an alien ship

Do they use diamonds?
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Pio
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by wettou

Do they use diamonds?
            The Nautilus doesn't use the diamond tweeter, they're aluminium. I heard the Nautilus last year at a dealer in Dallas in a good room with lots of Classe amplification. They sounded very good. Clean as can be and very 3 dimensional.
            Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Jezzus....they're shaped the the human inner ear!!!.
              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• sgtjim57
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by madmac
                Jezzus....they're shaped the the human inner ear!!!.
                That's what I was thinking....
                Sony Bravia OLED A1E 55"
                SVS SB 2000 X 2
                Denon X4000 (Looking to upgrade due to 4K, ATMOS, DTSX)
                Oppo BDP 93
                Apple TV 4K
                B & W N804 Mains
                B & W 603 Rear surrounds
                B & W LCR 600 Center
                B & W CDS6 (Not in use)
                Sony TA N77ES (Not in use)

Comment

• ejr1953
                  • Apr 2012

Just for grins, I see there are a few 803/804's available on eBay. I presume the "pre-diamond" versions were quite good, the new "diamonds" are better. Any insight on the comparison?

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

Don't buy B&W off ebay... you'll probably never get them...or they'll be in pretty bad shape if you DO get them.

Audiogon.com is good though!
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• stuofsci02
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2009

Just for grins, I see there are a few 803/804's available on eBay. I presume the "pre-diamond" versions were quite good, the new "diamonds" are better. Any insight on the comparison?
                      Yes.. I have 804s (previous gen) and have listened to the 804Di...

There is no doubt the 804Di are better.. The bass output is especially better.. The sound stage is a little further back for me, but that could be the room..

But I still love my 804s...
                      Main System:
                      B&W 801D
                      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                      Oppo BDP-105
                      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                      B&W CM7
                      Emotiva UMC-1
                      Emotiva UPA-2
                      Oppo BDP-83SE
                      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• ejr1953
                        • Apr 2012

stuofsci02,

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking, when it's time to make the change, I'd be best to get the latest B&W has to offer.

In my past life, I worked in high-end audio, and will probably never be a customer for used equipment, unless I actually personally know the seller.

Thanks to everyone for such great comments!

Comment

• ejr1953
                          • Apr 2012

OK, last night I attended an event sponsored by my favorite local audio salon (Gramophone in Columbia, Maryland) and after attending two sessions on computer audio (NAD & Audioquest/Peachtree), I attended a session sponsored by Totem Acoustic and was blown away by the new Element Fire models. I suspect, introducing larger floor-standing speakers (like the 804 Diamonds) won't go over well, so I'll be comparing the 805 Diamonds with these Totems, as soon as I can.

Comment

• dan87951
                            • Nov 2005

I have a set of 805D's in rosenut currently and love them for their small foot print. They were a huge upgrade over the CM5's I tried out before. The 805D's combined with a good well balanced sub will sound just as a good as a 804D.
                            dan87951
                            audio guru

Comment

• ejr1953
                              • Apr 2012

Everyone,

Thanks for the great input. I've been a long-time B&W advocate, purchasing some DM602's, 685's and CM15's. I was ready to commit to the 805's but compared them to the Totem Element "Fire" models recently introduced and after 2.5 hours of auditioning, selected the Totems over the 805's. They are both great speakers, I just preferred the "musicality" of the Totems.

Comment

• Pio
                                • Nov 2005

Everyone,

Thanks for the great input. I've been a long-time B&W advocate, purchasing some DM602's, 685's and CM15's. I was ready to commit to the 805's but compared them to the Totem Element "Fire" models recently introduced and after 2.5 hours of auditioning, selected the Totems over the 805's. They are both great speakers, I just preferred the "musicality" of the Totems.
                                Congrats on your choice! I've never heard Totems but have read great reviews on them.
                                Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• ejr1953
                                  • Apr 2012

Long Time with B&W's and NAD

I'm anxiously waiting for my Totem Element "Fire" speakers to arrive. I feel strange, having listened to B&W's for so many years. I think when you are at the level of the 800 series loudspeakers (and their competitors), you can't really say one speaker is "better" than another; I think it comes down to personal choice at that level.

When the Totems arrive my main system will be:

NAD M3 integrated amp
                                  NAD M4 tuner
                                  NAD M5 CD/SACD
                                  Velodyne Optimum 10 subwoofer
                                  Totem Element "Fire" (living room)
                                  B&W CM5 (dining room)
                                  Furman Elite 15 (power conditioner)
                                  Audioquest cables

When I pick up the Totems, I'll be getting an NAD DAC1 unit, to improve the sound of the MP3's I'm streaming from www.mog.com

Comment

• ejr1953
                                    • Apr 2012

NAD DAC1/MOG.com Great Investment!

Everyone,

I set up my old XP Pro Dell laptop with a $5/month subscription to www.mog.com and an NAD DAC1 unit and am happy to report that I'm really happy with the result. MOG has lots of great content and the 320k MP3's sound really good (not "super audiophile" quality, but very good, like listening to a CD on a "regular" CD player).

I suspect NAD's M51 DAC sounds a bit better, but comparing $300 vs $2000, the DAC1 is "music to my ears".

Comment

• ejr1953
                                      • Apr 2012

Totem Element "Fire" Speakers are Just Wonderful!

Everyone,

I'm thru the break in period recommended for my new Totem "Fire" monitors and am really impressed by how natural they sound. Though the B&W 805 diamonds were really outstanding speakers, I'm glad I opted for the Totems. The next time you visit your local audio salon, I'd recommend you give them a listen.

Comment

• leo2498
                                        • Feb 2012

I think that it's difficult in a forum of B&W we will want change of brand, if you happy with your purchase well, good for you! but I think you are posting in the wrong forum.
                                        Leo,
                                        Saludos
                                        My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• Skyblue
                                          • Jun 2009

Everyone,

I'm thru the break in period recommended for my new Totem "Fire" monitors and am really impressed by how natural they sound. Though the B&W 805 diamonds were really outstanding speakers, I'm glad I opted for the Totems. The next time you visit your local audio salon, I'd recommend you give them a listen.
                                          Hey enjoy them!

I heard Totem with Ayre once, and that sounded faboulous and organic. You certainly can't go wrong.
                                          B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"