X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chemguy
    • May 2005

Centre for 804S

I am going to be making some changes to my sound systems and need some advice. I currently have a 2-channel set-up in our living room using 804S's. I've generally been happy with these speakers, but am considering a switch to Sonus Fabers. That said, I would like to move the 804's downstairs to my home theatre system to replace an aging pair of B&W 603's and an LCR600 (series 3). The problem, of course, is the lack of a matching centre for the 804's. Forgive me if this issue has been already discussed in other threads, but is there anything at all in the current line that would be at least a reasonable match? It's a small room and my dealer suggested the possibility of the CMC2. I realize I could also go HTM4D, but I don't want to put out that kind of cash for a match that isn't ideal. I know there may be the odd HTM3S or HTM4S out there for sale, but let's face it...they are few and far between. I realize compromises are likely in order but am open to suggestions.
  • emig5m
    • Aug 2008

As much as I'm against using a phantom center, I would use a phantom center until you can acquire an HTM3S. I wouldn't even bother with the HTM4S with the 804S. Just keep an eye on Audiogon and eBay and you'll eventually find one. And don't forget to come back here and do a review on your new speakers vs the 804S when you get them.

Comment

• sgtjim57
      • Dec 2008

Sony Bravia OLED A1E 55"
      SVS SB 2000 X 2
      Denon X4000 (Looking to upgrade due to 4K, ATMOS, DTSX)
      Oppo BDP 93
      Apple TV 4K
      B & W N804 Mains
      B & W 603 Rear surrounds
      B & W LCR 600 Center
      B & W CDS6 (Not in use)
      Sony TA N77ES (Not in use)

Comment

• chemguy
        • May 2005

Thank you for the tip. I will look into it, though, like enig5m suggested, I would ideally like to go with the HTM3S.

I see you are in a similar situation as me with your N804 mains and the 600 series speakers around it. How do you find the match between the LCR600 and the 804's?

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by chemguy
          Thank you for the tip. I will look into it, though, like enig5m suggested, I would ideally like to go with the HTM3S.

I see you are in a similar situation as me with your N804 mains and the 600 series speakers around it. How do you find the match between the LCR600 and the 804's?
          Trust me, I've used my 804S with lesser center channels including the 600 series (HTM61). The HTM3S will be so worth the wait to find one! In case you're curious, the leap in the center channel performance was much bigger going from the 600 series to 800 than even the front main speakers (683 to 804S)! Much more noticeable jump in performance! The HTM3S is so much more coherent, detailed, and airy! One of the main reasons I won't get rid of my 800 series is because of that fine matching center channel! Not saying that the 4S is a bad center, it would be my choice to match up with the 805 but you still want that FST midrange to match your mains! Not to mention it even has the matching bass drivers! The 804S/HTM3S is one of the best matching B&W front ends because of this IMO! All matching drivers!

Comment

• baranowski
            • May 2012

I AGREE... trust the posts here... Wait tor the htm3s then buy it... it is well worth the wait.

Bill

Comment

• goe2112
              • Feb 2005

Hello Chemguy,
              Honestly, I would keep the 600 series and sell the 804s. Why? because you already have what you need, otherwise you will constantly be searching a center speaker for your 804s. If you do want to keep your 804s, then get the center speaker BEFORE you buy Sonus Fabers. I've been there and done it, get the center first to go with your 804s or be happy with the 600 series. There is one other choice, use the 804s without a center. Myself, I don't see anything wrong utilizing a phantom center if your system is set up properly. To go with a center other than the B&W 800 series for your 804s is just a waste of time and money, period.
              I hope this gives you something to consider, I too have been in your boat when it comes to center channel speakers...I know..been there done that.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Sonus Faber is an interesting choice after the 804s. Any reason for that switch. Vivid was more of a logical choice for me if moving away from B&W.

I put my 804s at the rear when I got my Vivid B1s, but I have an integrated HT system (which I use less and less it seems).

I still use a HTM7 as a centre. I think its perfectly adequate for movies. I rarely notice the centre once I'm engrossed in a movie, or otherwise come to think of it.
                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• sgtjim57
                  • Dec 2008

I find my N804's and 600's are a close match sonically. May not be the perfect or ideal match but it is close and I am pleased.
                  Sony Bravia OLED A1E 55"
                  SVS SB 2000 X 2
                  Denon X4000 (Looking to upgrade due to 4K, ATMOS, DTSX)
                  Oppo BDP 93
                  Apple TV 4K
                  B & W N804 Mains
                  B & W 603 Rear surrounds
                  B & W LCR 600 Center
                  B & W CDS6 (Not in use)
                  Sony TA N77ES (Not in use)

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"