X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cyisone01
    • Feb 2012

Power for 802 Diamonds

What size amplifier do I really need. I am going to use the speakers with for two channel and 7.1. I have looked at the MC8207 which is 200 watts per channel and many feel I would get improved sound with the MC452 &MC205. For the extra money will I hear a big difference and if so in what way?
  • quan325i
    • Apr 2005

I would go for a pair of Krell FPB monos.

Comment

• sgtjim57
      • Dec 2008

Here's a beast for you at a song.
      Sony Bravia OLED A1E 55"
      SVS SB 2000 X 2
      Denon X4000 (Looking to upgrade due to 4K, ATMOS, DTSX)
      Oppo BDP 93
      Apple TV 4K
      B & W N804 Mains
      B & W 603 Rear surrounds
      B & W LCR 600 Center
      B & W CDS6 (Not in use)
      Sony TA N77ES (Not in use)

Comment

• miner
        • Mar 2005

MC452 is a great amp that runs cool. In you case current trumps watts.

Comment

• stuofsci02
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

Power is overrated.. It is stability you want..

I am powering 801D's with a 130wpc into 8 ohm amp. But my amp is 210 wpc into 2 ohm..

Usually people feel they need more power but really it is to compensate for an amp that struggles with the speaker load.
          Main System:
          B&W 801D
          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
          Oppo BDP-105
          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
          B&W CM7
          Emotiva UMC-1
          Emotiva UPA-2
          Oppo BDP-83SE
          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Greg Gale
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by cyisone01
            What size amplifier do I really need. I am going to use the speakers with for two channel and 7.1. I have looked at the MC8207 which is 200 watts per channel and many feel I would get improved sound with the MC452 &MC205. For the extra money will I hear a big difference and if so in what way?
            I had a Classe CA2200 which is rated at 200 Watts per channel which will double down into 4 ohms. The impedence of the 802 Diamonds is quite demanding in the low bass dipping below 3 ohms so they can really use an amp that is very stable into 4 ohms. I upgraded to the Classe CA2300 which is rated at 300 watts per channel into 8 ohms and 600 into 4 and the difference was quite substantial especially in bass dynamics. I like to crank up my system from time to time and have a large room 23X22 with 18 foot ceilings so having this type of extra power did make a difference.
            Last edited by Greg Gale; 06 January 2013, 23:54 Sunday.
            Greg Gale

Main System:
            802 D2
            Classe CA2300
            Ayre K5XEMP
            Graham Slee Reflex M
            Esoteric X-05 SACD
            VPI Classic 3
            Dynavector X20x2
            Oppo BDP 95

Comment

• dan87951
              • Nov 2005

Nice choice with the McIntosh amplifiers. IMO B&W gear sounds really good when paired with McIntosh equipment. The MC452 is a fantastic amplifier and has plenty of head room for a set of 802 Diamonds. If you feel the need for more power you can always add a second MC452 and bridge them as mono blocks. The best part is McIntosh still takes pride in what they build unlike a lot of other manufactures out there (Classe).
              dan87951
              audio guru

Comment

• cyisone01
                • Feb 2012

If I go with the MC452 for the fronts - does anyone see a problem with using a 5 channel amp with the remaining 5 speakers? In this case the MC205? Or for that matter can I go with something less expensive for the remaining 5?

Comment

• dan87951
                  • Nov 2005

Not at all. A MC205 should fit the bill nicely.
                  dan87951
                  audio guru

Comment

• cyisone01
                    • Feb 2012

So no issues with different power outputs to the fronts and center and rears?

Comment

• BVLDARI
                      • Dec 2012

I have old Marantz MA700 powering my 802D2. I did an experiment the other day – played as loud as I could stand it and I think they had some room left on them. Now with that said, I was at my dealer for a demo night where they have the 600W per channel Classe running a pair of 800D2. In their “treated” room they only got up to about 100db before the amps clipped. So I think a lot of it depends on your room.

I am also looking into amplifiers. I like the idea behind the xpa1 and can’t seem to find anything negative about the emotive XPA1. The only negative comment I’ve heard is from my dealer who says they are not “musical” at all and that I am better off with my Marantz amps vs. going to the XPA1. Another one I am eyeing is the MC303 but can’t figure out why the price is more per channel than the MC302.

At any rate, I would say, unless you have a super dead room, 250W is probably more than enough to drive these speakers to any “reasonable” level. But please note that I am not sure what the effects of “headroom” really are…

Comment

• cyisone01
                        • Feb 2012

I agree with what you are saying. I currently have rotel amps powering my 7.1 system. While they are good amps I feel I could get more out of amps better suited for my upgrade to 802 diamonds. I don't want to make the call on a lower powered amp and hate myself. So far I have only heard the MC8207 with the 802 diamonds. They sounded great but many are saying with a larger amp it will sound more dynamic and have tighter, cleaner and more realistic bass

Comment

• PewterTA
                          • Nov 2004

I have a 200w Rotel RB-1080 that I put on the speakers just to test it out over my Rotel RB-1090 384w and the only difference was the in the Bass, which is due to the amplifier anyway (which I've heard on every speaker I've hooked both up to)...

Your current amplifier will drive the speakers pretty darn well, so I'd say no worries unless you want to upgrade! hee hee

Which Rotel Amps do you have??? I can make them a lot better. hee hee, if you live anywhere near Pittsburgh, PA I can hook you up. If not, a little soldering is all you need to do to make them sound like a much better amp.
                          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                          -Dan

Comment

• cyisone01
                            • Feb 2012

Mine are class D amps so I am not sure if you can do much with them.

Comment

• Antus
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by PewterTA
                              I have a 200w Rotel RB-1080 that I put on the speakers just to test it out over my Rotel RB-1090 384w and the only difference was the in the Bass, which is due to the amplifier anyway (which I've heard on every speaker I've hooked both up to)...

Your current amplifier will drive the speakers pretty darn well, so I'd say no worries unless you want to upgrade! hee hee

Which Rotel Amps do you have??? I can make them a lot better. hee hee, if you live anywhere near Pittsburgh, PA I can hook you up. If not, a little soldering is all you need to do to make them sound like a much better amp.
                              I am interested in how to make the rotel sounds better. the model i am thinking is 1582.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"