X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Freddie40
    • Jun 2009

Couple/Decouple

My 802s are sitting on Herbie's Audio Labs Cone/Spike Decoupling Glider which is then resting on carpet.

Will I get better sound with the Gliders or without? In other words is it better to couple the speakers to the wood floor or to decouple the speakers?

Thanks,

Dave
    Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I have yet to spike my 802Dis as they are just so darn heavy and I need to make sure they are in the right spot.

On my 604s3 that I had, I noticed a nice gain from putting the spikes on and going through the carpet. I noticed an even better gain when I put the speakers on spikes and put a wooden board under the spikes and used quarters to keep the spikes from driving into the wood. It was a VERY nice difference, everything seemed much more focused and the bass was really brought to life. I'm still waiting for my friend to get me some granite pieces to put my 802Dis on and then I'll probably spike them as well.

For you, I'd say the gliders might help... though them might hurt also. I'd tend to lean more towards helping, but really only way to know is to experiment.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• aarsoe
      • May 2004

Hi Freddie

Have been looking at those glider cone/spike units. Any chance you could post a picture of them in order to get an idea of what it looks like?

Thx..

Comment

• Freddie40
        • Jun 2009

Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

Hi Freddie

Thanks - but was thinking in terms of together with the speaker. For me to get an idea of how it looks and if the small ones are big enough for the 802D's..

Comment

• Freddie40
            • Jun 2009

The small one are big enough for the 802s. That is what I have

Dave

Comment

• RobP
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

It has always been my belief to decouple the speakers from the floor, thinking just the spikes may be your best option, the less surface area contact to the floor the better.
              Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"