To spike or not to spike, that is the question ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RNKC
    • Jun 2005

To spike or not to spike, that is the question ...

Hi everyone. So I've read that putting my N802 on spikes instead of the castors can make a big difference. To those who have spiked, what have you found?

My N802 currently live on top of carpet which in turn is on top of cold, hard concrete. (I live in a high-rise apartment.) To my ears things sound very good. But ... there's always that nagging thought / feeling that I'm still missing something. It strikes me that spikes might be a somewhat cost-efficient way to tighten things up. Either that or upgrade to 802D.

Anyone care to share their spiking experience?
    • Nov 2005

HI RNKC,
    You are thinking right. Upgrade. Then spike. Or..... don't upgrade then spike. But be sure the speakers are in their final location or you will have a terrible time moving them. Cosmic Law: spikes are good. No spikes is bad. Spike everything in sight including your hair dryer and toothbrush!!

Sparky
    Last edited by Karma; 06 February 2006, 16:40 Monday.

Comment

• RobP
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Karma
      Spike everything in sight including your hair dryer and toothbrush!!

Sparky

:laughat: I just got a visual on that one.
      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• misterdoggy
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by RNKC
        Hi everyone. So I've read that putting my N802 on spikes instead of the castors can make a big difference. To those who have spiked, what have you found?

My N802 currently live on top of carpet which in turn is on top of cold, hard concrete. (I live in a high-rise apartment.) To my ears things sound very good. But ... there's always that nagging thought / feeling that I'm still missing something. It strikes me that spikes might be a somewhat cost-efficient way to tighten things up. Either that or upgrade to 802D.

Anyone care to share their spiking experience?
        I spiked my 802D's and felt there was an improvement

Also it stops accidental rolling from your position

Comment

• JKalman
          • Nov 2005

I haven't spiked my 802Ds, and I don't feel they need to be spiked at the moment. Perhaps I will once I find a permanant setting I am happy with. I plan on moving my equipment around, rearranging my office and adding a lot of audio room treatments before I am ready to put spikes on them. It will make a difference, but I don't think it will be so big a difference that you need to rush it before you have found the perfect spot for your speakers. I'm going to take my time for now.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Jeff,
            I agree.

Sparky

Comment

• georgev
              • Jul 2004

I spiked my 802's and felt the bass was tighter and the sound more defined. Prior to that they were on carpets on a suspended wooden floor.
              I placed granite slabs under and then the spikes. Difference was noticeable. Go for it, but as all have said place them in the final location.
              Enjoy,
              George.

Comment

• grit
                • Jan 2005

Spike it! Besides, it's the cheapest upgrade you'll ever make!

Comment

• JKalman
                  • Nov 2005

How much does the spike kit for the 802s cost? Rather, how much for the spike kit for the 802D? They don't come with the speakers, so it might not be the cheapest upgrade I'll ever make.

Comment

• RNKC
                    • Jun 2005

Interesting - seems the concensus is to spike. My speakers are pretty much in their final resting place. I am constrained by the size of the room so there's not a lot I can do there. I'll check out the price of the spikes and post back here.

Thanks guys!

Comment

• chinets
                      • Jun 2005

IMHO Spiking didn't make any difference. Maybe it's my room but I found it a pain if I had to move the speakers for any reason!!
                      Could you guys please explain what would be the obvious difference between spiking and Non spiking??? For all of us out there!!
                      Thanks,
                      Chinets

Comment

• worldys
                        • Dec 2005

i find spikes clean up the bass considerably, experimenting with a pair of n803s was night and day

without spikes: muddy/diffuse/boomy bass that detracted from music

with spikes: subtle lower extention that rounded out the music without taking anything away from the midrange

i think the rationale is that when you have the base of the speaker in contact with the floor or carpet, some of the low frequency energy get tansmitted through the cabinet and absorbed by the floor, by spiking, there is less surface area in contact with the floor, so the energy from the drivers is more accurately transmitted into sound waves

Comment

• kurtholz
                          • Feb 2005

I would do the sound anchor stands, massive difference, can't say much about spikes , but the stands did take my 803's to a new level

good luck

Kurt

Comment

• Eliav
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by kurtholz
                            I would do the sound anchor stands, massive difference, can't say much about spikes , but the stands did take my 803's to a new level

good luck

Kurt
                            I spiked my 803s. cannot say there was a huge difference but definitely a change for the good with bass definition . I have also recently tilted the speakers downward (rear higher than front part) , I think I can hear more details and more focused image.
                            Cheers
                            Eliav
                            :T Socrat

Comment

• grit
                              • Jan 2005

Eilav, I'd guess the change in imaging is because you were previously sitting lower than the top of the speaker?

I had the same results with spikes... didn't make my speakers sound like I upgraded, but in an a/b test, I preferred the subtle improvements with spikes.

Comment

• worldys
                                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by JKalman
                                How much does the spike kit for the 802s cost? Rather, how much for the spike kit for the 802D? They don't come with the speakers, so it might not be the cheapest upgrade I'll ever make.
                                if you purchased your 802D new, you should be able to get them for free by contacting your dealer and simply requesting them

Comment

• goffriller
                                  • Jan 2006

My post today was about a similar issue. I think that if your listening room has a rigid floor and you're far from the corners its no big deal.
                                  I live in a Vicorian home with old wood floors. Sound anchors improve the sound hugely. Also , if you're a bit close to walls or corners you have to have them.
                                  The spikes probably do some of the same thing: jut talked to BW AMerica who told me that the spikes are free upon request in ordering new 802Ds.

Comment

• EastCoaster
                                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by RNKC
                                    Here is an interesting article on spiking... **caution - might give some people serious heartburn!**

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI All,
                                      Interesting reading. Thanks. The initial proposition of spikes providing isolation is clearly wrong. The idea of spikes is to provide a low impedance mechanical connection for the purpose of efficiently transmistting vibration from a vibrating source (a speaker) to a mechanical ground (the floor).

I don't have the mechanical engineering background to prove that this works. I do have ears though. My ears tell me that the idea works MOST, but not all, of the time.There is a very complex set of relationships going on that defies easy analysis. Each case should be considered on an individual basis.

When using spikes on equipment other than speakers, one must consider the direction of travel of the vibrations. For example, if you have a vibrating equipment rack, would we want to efficiently couple those vibrations into our CD player by putting the player on spikes? This is a case where no spikes would be better. Instead, the use of rubber or Sorbothane (better) feet on the player could be used to isolate the player from the rack.

The bottom line is one should carefully analyze the system vibration conditions before making blanket statements. I have a tendency to generalalize and recommend spikes for everything. So, call me guilty of being too broad. However, I do think that the use of spikes can be very beneficial if used correctly, with an understanding of what they do, and mixed with appropriate isolation devices.

Sparky
                                      Last edited by Karma; 14 February 2006, 10:29 Tuesday.

Comment

• abqnmusa
                                        • Jan 2006

I recently added the "free to original purchaser" B&W spikes to my Nautilus 802 S3's. The spikes are the ones for the 802D. The spikes are free if you bought the speakers.

Only downside is they put holes in your carpet if you move the speaker.

I did notice the bass seems better with the spikes. Also feel imaging is improved.

Comment

• r100gs
                                          • May 2005

A good solid connection to the floor is important for all floorstanding speakers. They don't sell those expensive stands, that weigh a ton, for bookshelf speakers for nothing. I was amazed when I filled my Joseph Audio RM25's with sand. I put it off because I just was not a believer. I am now! Solid bass with a more defined image. :T
                                          Jay

Comment

• caleb
                                            • Aug 2004

R100GS - if you fill them with lead shot you will get a far heavier stand and the effects you heard will be even more pronounced.

Comment

• r100gs
                                              • May 2005

Originally posted by caleb
                                              R100GS - if you fill them with lead shot you will get a far heavier stand and the effects you heard will be even more pronounced.
                                              I thought about lead. I thought about the cost. I thought about my back. Sand it was. No stand. They are floorstanders.
                                              Jay

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI all,
                                                In actual fact, the experts fill their stands with a mixture of lead shot and very fine sand. The sand is intended to fill the small spaces between the shot balls. All of this provides the maximum density and weight of the fill.

I have done this. I'm not really sure how well it works. There are several nasty problems. First, how does one determine the ratio of sand to lead? Next, how do you get the mixture to be thoughly and evenly mixed? Last, how do you avoid going crazy over this? My stands are very heavy and dead. So maybe it actually works. Or maybe it should go into the snake oil catalog.

Sparky

Comment

• ED K
                                                  • Apr 2005

Is anyone sure that you can getspikes for free when you buy a pair of 802Ds? If so do you need to contact B&W directly or go through the dealer?
                                                  Those who know it all know less than those who don't

Comment

• abqnmusa
                                                    • Jan 2006

are spikes for 802D free to purchaser?

Ed,

Yes, the spikes are free to the original purchaser of the Nautilus 802 or 802D, or other Nautilus models. However, they do not ship with the speakers. You must request them from the dealer you purchased the speaker from.

Comment

• abqnmusa
                                                      • Jan 2006

When I added spikes to my Nautilus 802's it allowed me to aim the tweeter. That is, to have the back of the speaker higher than the front, aiming the tweeter down and directly where I wanted it.

Comment

• ED K
                                                        • Apr 2005

Thanks. I called the dealer yesterday and they ordered them at no charge!
                                                        Those who know it all know less than those who don't

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"