X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • omadain
    • Dec 2011

Center Speaker Decision Input Needed Asap

Hi

I wanna bounce a few ideas around you all.
    So I have the CM9 front speakers. I currently have a different center as I used to have a different system, so I decided to go separates, and decided on the CM line, mainly because the sound was good and it was in my price range. So I bought the CM9s for the fronts, bought an amp, a preamp and other bits n pieces. Now I have to move on to changing the center speaker, I could not do it all at once given the costs.

So my next choice is get a new center, then a new sub, then rears.

So here is my dilemma, i watch home theater and music 50:50 or maybe more into watching live music.

I am thinking CMC2, or getting a different "higher end" B&W center. This is my dilemma, I know the CMC2 is the center speaker for the line, but would it be so wrong to get a higher spec B&W center speaker from the diamond line? Maybe a HTM-4 diamond or HTM-3 or HTM-2?

I really just need your input and help,
    Would the CMC2 speaker sound better with the CM9 despite it being a lower spec center speaker in the B&W range?

Would the HTM Diamond center just not sound right with the CM9's?

Any advice good or bad appreciated, i hear that 70% of Home Theater goes via the center speaker and the vocals come via the center, so I really just want as best a center as I can get........is that the CM9 in my situation.....or can i look elsewhere??
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

You are definitely on the right path.. The center channel is very important.. I have had many including the HTM61, CMC, HTM4s and HTM3s (currently own).

I will say without a doubt I would stick to tweeter over midrange designs like the CMC2, and all the 800 series centers. I would not go lower than a CMC2 with your setup.

If you went to an 800 series center you will no doubt improve the sounds. I don't think it is a bad thing. If you can tolerate the mismatch looks, there would be obvious benefits for movies.. If not, the CMC2 is not a bad center in its own right.
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

they are going to sound close... The timbre might be off slightly with going towards a better center over the CMC2. The CMC2 is voiced to match the CM9s just about perfectly.

Now going with a better center you might notice that it is... infact... well better. And that could get you to start thinking that well you need something better than the CM9s.... hee hee.

I'm one that notices when voices and sounds go from one speaker to another and the sound is different across the speakers...if you might not like this... I'd be hesitant to go with it (along with spending extra money that you might not need to).

I really think it's more important to make sure your speakers are balanced by calibrating them then so much as getting a better speaker (when you really are at the line of only 800s above).

One thing with B&W though is most of their speaker lines sound very similar, so it won't be like getting a completely different manufacturer's speaker where it's a night and day difference.

I'd say either way you go, you won't "really" be going wrong. Unless, the CM9s are your end point... if they are... then getting the matching might be the right choice.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by PewterTA
        Unless, the CM9s are your end point... if they are... then getting the matching might be the right choice.
        Hey... There is no end point.... It is the first rule of high end audio...

All I ever wanted was a pair of DM602 S3 8O
        Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Skyblue
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by stuofsci02

Its your lucky day then! I can trade you a couple of new ones for the 801s
          B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• stuofsci02
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Skyblue
            Its your lucky day then! I can trade you a couple of new ones for the 801s
            II am not sure you need them.... Sounds like you have the same problem as me.. :T
            Main System:
            B&W 801D
            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
            Oppo BDP-105
            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
            B&W CM7
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Emotiva UPA-2
            Oppo BDP-83SE
            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

My opinion is that if you are playing music through a 5.1 system, then get matching speakers that utilize all the SAME drivers and tweeters (same line). Movies on the other hand can be a little more forgiving since 80% of the movie comes out of the center speaker alone in most cases. In other words, I believe that matching speakers are VERY important for a seamless sound field.
              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Skyblue
                • Jun 2009

II am not sure you need them.... Sounds like you have the same problem as me.. :T
                I might have *tweedle dee, tweedle dum* ...
                B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• John22614
                  • Feb 2010

If it were me I'd buy the CMC2 now, and if I ever wanted to upgrade across the board to the 800D series I would sell all three CM's as a set. That should be fairly easy. Keep in mind one of the major features of the 800 series is the diamond tweeter which for music is wonderful but, with the center speaker used primarily for dialogue, not as important.

I would even take it one step further and say if I ever upgrade from my 804S to 804D I would probably not replace my HTM4 because its already superb for dialogue and I only listen to music in stereo.

Plus with the CMC2 you have the additional benefit of a visual match.
                  B&W 804s Mains
                  B&W HTM4 Center
                  Monitor Radius 180 Surrounds

Sony 46 HX929 TV
                  Marantz AV 7005 processor
                  Anthem MCA 30 Amp
                  Panasonic 3D BluRay player

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

John does have a good point here... should be an easier sale than a mis-matched center and if you don't move to the 800 series... and go somewhere else... then you'd have to sell that seperately.

That being said... I LOVE my HTM2Di... it's amazing!
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• omadain
                      • Dec 2011

Which is the best center speakers in rank of order from #1 in the B&W line?
                      I don't know the difference between the HTM1, 2,3, S, D etc

Comment

• nikos
                        • Dec 2005

htm1d-->htm2di--> htm2d ---> htm4d<---> Htm3s --->Htm4s

Get the one that matches your mains don't mix it.
                        Save money and upgrade as a whole after selling your current setup to a friend
                        Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• stevek
                          • Oct 2011

my god this is the truth.ever since i bought my first set of b&w's"cm9,cmc2,cm5 i have been on a quest to improve what feeds them and they sound so damn good that now i find myself looking at the 800 series and saying to myself "self"i sure would like to have those 804di's i bet they sound really good.but wait i bet those 803's would be even better.its gonna happen and then all my electronics will have to be upgraded again.lol there should be a warning sticker on these things.

Comment

• mpauline
                            • Dec 2003

Yes it becomes a vicious but wonderful circle. Had a HTM1 loved it, switched to a HTM2 Di and 803Di's and now I need new amp/amps :-)

Comment

• leo2498
                              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by mpauline
                              Yes it becomes a vicious but wonderful circle. Had a HTM1 loved it, switched to a HTM2 Di and 803Di's and now I need new amp/amps :-)
                              Jajaja I'm agreed. I thought that with my 804d I would not want anything more and now I bought HTM4D + 805D +oppo bdp95 + rotel RB1582 and now I'm thinking to buy a classe combo stereo(all this in the last 10 month). definitely this hobby is adictive, very adictive. ops:
                              Leo,
                              Saludos
                              My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• stevek
                                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by leo2498
                                Jajaja I'm agreed. I thought that with my 804d I would not want anything more and now I bought HTM4D + 805D +oppo bdp95 + rotel RB1582 and now I'm thinking to buy a classe combo stereo(all this in the last 10 month). definitely this hobby is adictive, very adictive. ops:
                                man im with ya,my last 6months,denon 3312 to pioneer elite vsx52 to nad t175hd,nad 2 channel int.amp,3 emo upa-1,3-transparent super cables,oppo-95"last week"and today 4- b&w ccm683 surround speakers along with an hour long demo of the 804di that i guess i have to start saving for because i guess i have to have them bad boys,and i guess i will have to get an htm-4 to match."help".i hope those ccm683's will sound ok with the diamonds or they wont be around to long.
                                i will be selling a nice 5 piece set of cm's in a couple months

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"