Statement Mini and Center/Surround Speaker placement.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Travis
    • Jan 2012

Statement Mini and Center/Surround Speaker placement.

Hoping someone will help me with this dilemma.
    I plan to eventually build the Mini Statements for my mains, Mini Statement center channel (Center) and have read that the center channel can also be used as surround (side) and surround (rear) speakers?? This will be for a 7.1 system.
    Question 1. Where should the Mini Statements be placed in relation to my T.V.? next to the T.V.? At what distance from the side of the T.V. is best? Lots of different diagrams out there so I was hoping that someone has this setup and could chime in.
    Question 2. I thought I read somewhere that the Statement center channel had to be a certain distance from the wall, I assume that if I use the statement center channel speaker for the rear and side speakers that they would have to be as well. I currently have my side and rear surround speakers mounted right onto the walls and would like to keep them that way with the Statements Center/Surround speakers. Is this possible?
    Question 3. Lastly. The center channel is quite large, I don't have a Flat screen T.V. My T.V. sits away from the wall about 2'. The only possible solution I have for the center channel is to position it below the T.V. in the T.V. stand. Is this ok?
    Thanks a ton for all your help on this matter. And many others!
  • BeerParty
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Travis
    I currently have my side and rear surround speakers mounted right onto the walls and would like to keep them that way with the Statements Center/Surround speakers. Is this possible?
    No, you cannot use any of the Statement designs mounted to a wall.

All the Statement designs involve a transmission line for the mid-range driver. The mid-range driver tunnel is open in the back and the sound from that driver reflects off the rear wall and integrates with the sound from the front of the speaker. All the Statement designs must be placed so the rear of the cabinet is ~18 inches from the wall. The Statement Monitors have an alternate crossover that allows them to be placed ~12 inches from the wall, but the Center Channel and the Minis do not have this option. They need free space on either side of them as well (they should not be placed next to a wall or in an entertainment center).

You cannot use the Statement Center Channel in a AV center or under a TV, it needs to be in free space just like the Minis.

If you want to build speakers that can be mounted to the wall, you need to look for a design that supports on wall placement. If you look in the Mission Accomplished sub-forum (above) I am sure you will find several designs that will meet your needs. You'll want to look for designs that have an on-wall (or in-wall) crossover.
    Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
    My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• Silver1omo
      • Sep 2010

About how much space does the Statement center needs?
      I'm planning to build it and put it under my wall mounted TV.
      So the Statement center would have 15.5" in each side to my Statement monitors. 11" from the ground (angled just a bit) and 9" to the wall mounted TV.
      I don't have the 18" from the wall, so it will be around 12" to 14".
      A lot of compromises, I know, but, would it be to bad?

Sorry for the hijack...
      Ivan.
      My Statement monitors

Comment

• BeerParty
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Silver1omo
        About how much space does the Statement center needs?
        I'm planning to build it and put it under my wall mounted TV.
        So the Statement center would have 15.5" in each side to my Statement monitors. 11" from the ground (angled just a bit) and 9" to the wall mounted TV.
        I don't have the 18" from the wall, so it will be around 12" to 14".
        A lot of compromises, I know, but, would it be to bad?

Sorry for the hijack...
        The center is supposed to have 18 inches behind it, but I have heard of people using like you that claim it sounds just fine. Its sweet spot is ~18 inches off the wall, but I would bet it wold take a highly trained ear to tell the difference between 12 and 18 inches. I have to get my Monitors within 6 inches (with the 12 inch crossover design) of the wall before I hear an obvious difference in the sound.

How far back from the speakers will you be sitting? If I remember correctly the center is designed to be listened to off axis, so it should be below ear height but not tilted up. I don't know how much though, I would check Curt's web site to see his suggested placement.
        Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
        My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• Silver1omo
          • Sep 2010

"As a nod to all possible permutations, I voiced it with
          the design axis perpendicular to the plane of the baffle and sitting on, but
          not flush with, a 24" x 18" base."

"As designed, the main vertical lobe of the mid/tweeter angles up
          approximately 7 degrees from the design axis. This allows the speaker to
          work well when placed below the screen and the mid/tweeter height is below
          or equal to the listening height."
          Ivan.
          My Statement monitors

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Silver1omo
            "As a nod to all possible permutations, I voiced it with
            the design axis perpendicular to the plane of the baffle and sitting on, but
            not flush with, a 24" x 18" base."

"As designed, the main vertical lobe of the mid/tweeter angles up
            approximately 7 degrees from the design axis. This allows the speaker to
            work well when placed below the screen and the mid/tweeter height is below
            or equal to the listening height."
            No surprise, Curt's comments are exactly correct. To clarify positioning of the center, when he says below the screen, that means with a wall mounted LCD and the center channel sitting in front of the screen in open air without anything to block the back wave from being reflected forward.

HTH

Jim

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"