X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Penningtonsm
    • Jan 2005

Center Channel Speaker

Hey guys me again. Needing your help once again. I am almost completly happy with my home theater system. Got the panny ae700 with the 92" screen. HK receiver with a couple of 15inch speakers and two 10inch speakers. The sound is great for the most part. My problem is the center channel speaker. Lately I have been noticing that when I play a great sounding movie like for example the Lord of the Rings, the sound is great, but the dialogue is pretty low to where I cant really hear what people are saying. I am using a center speaker from an old sony home theater in a box that I used to have. I need a new center speaker but dont know which one to buy and cant really afford too much. I know most people on these boards always talk about the high end stuff, but does anyone know of any "low end" center speaker that I could get until i can afford a better one. Thanks alot for any help you can provide me.

Steve
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hi, as many of you know, I'm really big on matching your speakers. So I would go with something of the same brand and type of speaker as your mains. Possibly even just buy another speaker that you ARE using for your mains.

As far as dialogue "being too low", having you calibrated the system, adjusting individual channel levels for equal output? You have to do this even for the highest-end speakers. For example, my nice Klipsch system has to turn down the mains like -15db, I think, even though the center is only turned down -8db or so, because they're so efficient. Before calibrating, it sounded like CRAP, the mains were so overpowering.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Nick M
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Well it should have a matched timbre to your other speakers, so it's hard to recommend one. You also need to define "not too expensive".

Internet direct companies like AV123, Ascend Acoustics, and Axiom all have good reviews and center channels that are around ~$300. Given that you have a front PJ, you could also use the same speakers you have as your front L & R as a center (if it fits below the screen). The latter would actually be your best option.

EDIT: I second Chris' suggestion of calibrating with an SPL meter and a setup disc like AVIA. But a sony HTIB center will only take you so far, especially when viewing a 92" image... :B
      ~Nick

Comment

• Penningtonsm
        • Jan 2005

Thanks for the quick response. I did a calibration........or at least I thought it was a calibration when I first got my new receiver. It did it by its self though, if that makes any sense.

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Hmmm, this could be a tough one. Not because of price but because, it is best to use a center that matches the mains speakers. Or even better, having the exact same speaker for your left-center-right speakers.

That being said, my suggestion would be to just audition a few and find one that sounds good to you. Maybe one that you like so much, it's sound would push you to get the matching left & right down the road! :B There are a ton of decent sounding speakers at entry level. Another idea would be to try a set of speakers form one of the internet direct companies (Axiom,HTB,etc.) that sells packages at what a single center speaker would cost from many companies.
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• jimmyp58
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Steve:

I sent you a PM.

Jim
            jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"