X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevek
    • Oct 2011

amp or sub

hello,im a new member"today"and im new to b&w.purchased 686s in january witch lead to cm5s then cm9s and center2.my question is this.i am currently running the cm system with a denon 3312 and i am currently using a def tech super cube 2 as my sub.i just picked up this sub to get me by "350.00 open item at best buy" while i save the cash for a larger sub.my room is 25x14 but it is open to the rest of my living area witch is around 1800sgft with 10ft ceiling.i would like to purchase an svs pb12 plus and upa 2 emotiva amps to run the cm9s.any suggestions for a sub that will perform like this one for less money and should i get the amps first to improve the bass on what i already have.thanks for any help you can give me
  • dukester
    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by stevek
    hello,im a new member"today"and im new to b&w.purchased 686s in january witch lead to cm5s then cm9s and center2.my question is this.i am currently running the cm system with a denon 3312 and i am currently using a def tech super cube 2 as my sub.i just picked up this sub to get me by "350.00 open item at best buy" while i save the cash for a larger sub.my room is 25x14 but it is open to the rest of my living area witch is around 1800sgft with 10ft ceiling.i would like to purchase an svs pb12 plus and upa 2 emotiva amps to run the cm9s.any suggestions for a sub that will perform like this one for less money and should i get the amps first to improve the bass on what i already have.thanks for any help you can give me
    Welcome stevek!

What is your budget? If you're more of a HT guy I would invest in a quality sub. I don't have any first hand experience w/the SVS PB12+ but the specs look good...maybe even get two of them.

If you're more 2ch, then I'd definitely go with external amps but not necessarily the UPA2 (seems like a lateral move in terms of power)...maybe the XPA 2 or 3 if budget allows. I don't have experience with the Emo gear but many in this forum do and have said nothing but good things.

In any case, good luck!
    McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• stevek
      • Oct 2011

thanks for your reply,i probably lean more towards home theater but i definitly do my share of listening.my budget is tight since i just bought all the gear.i am considering the upa because they have them on close out for 299 each.the guys at emo claim there is not much difference in the quality of the sound between the 2 just a little more power.which i no dought do need.i have had the denon shut down on me a few times.all the reviews ive seen on the svs are quite impressive as well.

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

stevek,

Welcome to the forum! :T

Decisions, decisions. You have a nice system. And you've figured out the next logical moves to help you out.

I think the first issue you need to address is the power in the system. If you've already noticed the Denon shutting down on you, that needs to be fixed before permanent damage is done, to both the denon and/or speakers.

I would suggest the Emotiva XPA5. Definitely more $$ than the UPA2, but you would 'lock down' your power situation for quite awhile. The CM series is the point where external amps are preferable than recievers, in terms of full performance. Another alternative is the XPA-3. You could run that for the fronts, and use the Denon for the rear speakers. Long term, a 5 channel amp is better, but the XPA-3 is something that would help as well.

There are also other SVS subs that would help, and be a bit more affordable. Like the PB12-NSD.

I'm not sure if you are considering both the PB12-Plus and the UPA2. If this is the plan, I would suggest the XPA5 and the PB12-NSD or similar. I believe that would give you a very nice, balanced system at the same price point.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• stevek
          • Oct 2011

thanks htsteve,i have considered the other emo models.i think you are right about the five channel,but im kind of limited on the funds.ive dropped around 6k so far and the economy is holding me back.maybe patience is in order.on the svs have you had any experience with the nsd,i would much rather go that route to save cash but i also need a powerful sub do to my room problems.i sent a drawing to svs of my floor plan and they suggested the plus.

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

stevek,

I totally understand about using limited funds. Our ideas always seem to be more than the $$ on hand.

I do not have direct experience with the NSD sub. But the reviews and specs are quite nice. I believe it will be a major set up for your room.

Another thing to consider is doing dual subs. Get the NSD, and keep the super cube. Simply split the signal, and put the super cube in the opposite area of the room (generally speaking. There are many threads in this forum on subs).

Long term, you could get another NSD to replace the super cube.

An NSD and an XPA 3 would be a very nice upgrade. Even the XPA3 would add bass, and quality bass at that, to your room.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• stevek
              • Oct 2011

htsteve,i think the dual subs may be the way to go.i got a great deal on the cube with plans on moving it to my kids little theater room after i get me one.but they may have to wait.i have been quite suprised by that little cube but i really want to get as low as possible and i would not mind seeing a few pics fall off the walls.lol.that 5 channel emo is a great deal also at only 899.any way thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"