X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rod#S
    • Oct 2010

Definitely jumping the gun here but....

Hello;

With B&W not making 800 series in-wall speakers or no longer making wall mounted 800 series speakers how do you think the 805 Diamonds would do for heights? The reason I ask is that late last week Lexicon released some information about it's new SSP, the MP20 and that platform will be a 12.4 design with speakers 8-12 all being heights, three up front above the left, center and right and two to the rear.

Being a typical home theater enthusiast/nut :B I couldn't stop my brain immediately contemplating a setup with heights. Now should I get my hands on a MP20 next year when it releases I am intrigued about the heights and with me recently getting into the Diamond range the 805 Diamonds are literally the only choice for heights if I wanted to timbre match. These would probably be overkill for heights BUT it sure would be cool to have 5 805 Diamonds doing the job.

Rod
    Last edited by Rod#S; 15 August 2011, 16:33 Monday.
    B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

I think you are crazy!
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Skyblue
      • Jun 2009

I think you are crazy too.

As I understand it, there is hardly any 7.1 material available. So 12.4 seems in the very distant future. Get better mains instead
      B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Rod#S
        • Oct 2010

Hi;

Don't think of the heights as distinct channels, they are not, just think of them as we have come to think of the rear speakers in a surround setup. Like you point out there is hardly any 7.1 content but 7.1 speaker arrays have been used for years thanks to surround sound processing technologies like Dolby PLIIx, THX Ultra 2 and Logic 7 and these have gone on to create wonderful surround experiences from the standard 5.1 source or stereo sources. In the days of DVD we had technologies like Dolby Digital Surround EX, dts-ES and dts-ES Discrete which were the severe minoirty of releases to use one or two rear surrounds and now in Blu-ray we get 7.1 dts-HD Master Audio whch again is the minority of releases. I don't think we will ever see the wide spread adoption of discrete 7.1 content let alone anything beyond that but we can use the technologies in our receivers or SSP's to give us a more immersive experience. With the introduction of heights and/or wides by Dolby, dts. DSX and now Lexicon with their Quantum Logic technology we can expand even more.
        B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• stuofsci02
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Rod#S
          Hi;

Don't think of the heights as distinct channels, they are not, just think of them as we have come to think of the rear speakers in a surround setup. Like you point out there is hardly any 7.1 content but 7.1 speaker arrays have been used for years thanks to surround sound processing technologies like Dolby PLIIx, THX Ultra 2 and Logic 7 and these have gone on to create wonderful surround experiences from the standard 5.1 source or stereo sources. In the days of DVD we had technologies like Dolby Digital Surround EX, dts-ES and dts-ES Discrete which were the severe minoirty of releases to use one or two rear surrounds and now in Blu-ray we get 7.1 dts-HD Master Audio whch again is the minority of releases. I don't think we will ever see the wide spread adoption of discrete 7.1 content let alone anything beyond that but we can use the technologies in our receivers or SSP's to give us a more immersive experience. With the introduction of heights and/or wides by Dolby, dts. DSX and now Lexicon with their Quantum Logic technology we can expand even more.
          Yes, but you are talking about $12,500 in speakers to do height channels that are determined through DSP algorithms.

I still think you are crazy...
          Main System:
          B&W 801D
          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
          Oppo BDP-105
          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
          B&W CM7
          Emotiva UMC-1
          Emotiva UPA-2
          Oppo BDP-83SE
          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Rod#S
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by stuofsci02
            Yes, but you are talking about $12,500 in speakers to do height channels that are determined through DSP algorithms.

I still think you are crazy...
            :B Yeah it's a lot of money for sure and doing something like this certainly wouldn't take priority over me getting my 2 pairs of surrounds first and probably a 4th subwoofer but the thought is intriguing. If timbre matching isn't an issue for the use of heights, then I could obviously opt for something much cheaper from one of the other B&W lines. It's too bad you don't hear of more people reporting their thoughts on the whole height thing (i.e what works, what doesn't), Dolby PLIIz and DSX have been out for a while now definitely long enough for people to experiment, perhaps it's just something that isn't taking off. I'm not sure if there is anything on the market yet with dts Neo:X, if not receivers should be appearing shortly.

5 805 Diamonds up high on the wall would look cool though when flanked by a bunch of towers below, with my HTM2 Diamond too of course

Comment

• stuofsci02
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2009

IMO 805's up high would be better to mount upside down...
              Main System:
              B&W 801D
              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
              Oppo BDP-105
              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
              B&W CM7
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Emotiva UPA-2
              Oppo BDP-83SE
              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• emig5m
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rod#S
                perhaps it's just something that isn't taking off.
                Yea, a good 5.1 system already costs an arm and a leg. I don't think all these height and width speakers or whatever are ever going to be mainstream with the masses. I think 5.1 will be mainstream for the average home theater buff for a long while to come...

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"