X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diononiz
    • May 2011

Cm9 vs 805 Diamond

Ladies and Gents,
    I am hopeful you can assist me. Recently, I had a chance to demo both the CM9s and 805 Diamond from local retailers. Overall I enjoyed both but there were some very noticable differences. CM9s had a better overall balance form top to bottom with a fuller midrange. They seemed more relaxed and I found I could listen longer. 805 Diamonds had much better clarity and definition, imaged better and just had a deeper stoundstage. I really liked them but I found them but just a bit harsh. I tired moving the speakers but since the room is a family room my options are very limited. Trying to decide has been very difficult

History:

Previous Speakers were NHT 2.5i which I owned for almost 20 years
    Had purchased some Monitor Audio RX8s and Center but found them too forward sounding and returned them

Room:

Hardwood floors, 60 inch TV behind the speakers, Window to the rear of the room. The room does have echo but there is an 8X10 area rug and a leather sofa and ottoman in it. Right to the left of the listening area there is a stone fireplace. Basically the room is not the greatest for listening to music. Also, there is no way in heck my wife is going to go for any room treaatments. She would rather I spent the money on speakers.

Equipment

Marantz SR7005 Receiver
    Marantz CD5004 CD player
    Proceed HPA3 AMP
    Transparent Music link plus MM2 interconnects and speaker cable
    Monster Power HTS5100
    Velodyne HGS10 Subwoofer (Used only for Movies)
    Samsung Blu Ray Player

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • specialized
    • Apr 2008

805 Diamonds had much better clarity and definition, imaged better and just had a deeper stoundstage. I really liked them but I found them but just a bit harsh. I tired moving the speakers but since the room is a family room my options are very limited. Trying to decide has been very difficult

History:

Previous Speakers were NHT 2.5i which I owned for almost 20 years
    Had purchased some Monitor Audio RX8s and Center but found them too forward sounding and returned them

Equipment

Marantz SR7005 Receiver
    Marantz CD5004 CD player
    Proceed HPA3 AMP
    Transparent Music link plus MM2 interconnects and speaker cable
    Monster Power HTS5100
    Velodyne HGS10 Subwoofer (Used only for Movies)
    Samsung Blu Ray Player

Any advice would be greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

I had a chance to listen both .. CM9 and 805D. 805D are amazing speakers.. As first i thought that they are too expensive, but they give very big and good sound.. I listen them with McIntosh MC275 and McIntosh C42 preamp and MCD201 CDP. I guess u'r problem is u'r Marantz electronics.. 805D need beter electronics.

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• Pedro
      • Jan 2006

Or you´re feeling the CM9 is more smoother because it´s a floorstanding instead a bookshelf what 805Di is. According to the spec sheet the CM9 should be more bright (at -6dB it reaches 50khz of response) than 805Di which at same level achieves 33khz. Your old NHT speaker have much more low frequency response (-3db ~ 29hz), one 8" bass drive. In 800 series you have to get a listen to 803Di, i dont think you would be satisfied with any speaker below that.

Comment

• bows3r
        • Jul 2010

I had CM9's for about six months and changed them to 805 diamonds. In my opinion 805di suits me better, since my room wasn't that big. Now I have them in a 7x4 meter room and I still like them alot. Ofcourse they are twice the price than CM9's but they look twice as good and they are from the legendary 800-series ;x(

Comment

• dan87951
          • Nov 2005

I have had both as well and for the money cm9 all the way. The cm9 is a better balanced speaker as it has bass drivers. After you get the stands and sub for the 805s your way north of 7 grand. Don't get me wrong the 805ds are a great speaker for there size but they are definitely lacking in the bass department.
          dan87951
          audio guru

Comment

• scanido
            • Apr 2006

If your going to get a sub or better yet two in stereo, then the 805 Diamond is the way to go.

The CM9 is also a great speaker and i would be interested in getting one for me recreational room.

Comment

• diononiz
              • May 2011

Thanks for the comments. I do have a Velodyne HGS10 sub. Do you think it will match up well with the 805s? I like the CM9 but it seems to lack the detail, dynamics and soundstage of the diamonds. The midbass is better in the CM9s. The interesting thing is that if you read B&W specs, the -3db on the CM9 is 52hz and the diamond is 32hz.

Comment

• scanido
                • Apr 2006

Maybe the 805 Diamonds have not been broken in?

I'm using SCMS for rears which are similar to the midbass drivers of the 805 Diamond, and at one time have used them as my fronts and i recall that the mid bass was not lacking. They surprisingly put out a lot of bass for their size when given enough juice.

Any decent sub should be able to fill the low end satisfactorily. Would it be able to keep up to the 805 Diamonds is another matter. Not sure if your particular model is known to be musical.

Comment

• zele
                  • Jun 2008

I have a pair of 805s driven by Pass XA100.5 power amplifiers + 1 Velodyne DD-15 sub in a 5mx3,3m room. It has really beautiful, natural sound, the sub nicely adding to the bottom end, though I'm thinking about trying 804Di because sometimes I feel there's a range between the sub's top end and the speaker's bottom end that needs to be filled. Theoretically it should not be the case (sub goes up to 70Hz, 805s goes down to appr. 40), yet subjectively it does feel like something is missing. On the other hand I'm a very bass needy person, maybe it is just my taste....

Comment

• diononiz
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by zele
                    I have a pair of 805s driven by Pass XA100.5 power amplifiers + 1 Velodyne DD-15 sub in a 5mx3,3m room. It has really beautiful, natural sound, the sub nicely adding to the bottom end, though I'm thinking about trying 804Di because sometimes I feel there's a range between the sub's top end and the speaker's bottom end that needs to be filled. Theoretically it should not be the case (sub goes up to 70Hz, 805s goes down to appr. 40), yet subjectively it does feel like something is missing. On the other hand I'm a very bass needy person, maybe it is just my taste....
                    Thanks for the input. Do you feel it is becuase the DD15 is not fast enough because it is a 15 inch driver or do you think the 805s are missing something in the lower midrange?

Comment

• zele
                      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by diononiz
                      Thanks for the input. Do you feel it is becuase the DD15 is not fast enough because it is a 15 inch driver or do you think the 805s are missing something in the lower midrange?
                      I think the DD15 is fast enough because on its own range of frequencies it is producing a very strongly defined, tight but powerful sound. I feel more like the issue starts where the sub's range ends. I can not increase the sub's top end because then the sub becomes directional and also because it starts interfering the 805's. I feel (and again it is only a feeling) that I might have an issue somewhere around 70-100 Hz, hence the desire to try the 804Di's. But again, it might just be my special preference for strong bass sound in all ranges of the bass frequencies.

Lastly, as for the subs, the DD15 is clearly an overkill for such a small room, I opted for it to maintain flexibility, i.e. if it does not work out in my small audio room I can still transfer it to the main living room where I have my HT system.
                      Today most likey I would choose 2xDD10's, or perhaps another brand because I'm not satisfied the way the DD's need a strong enough signal in the start of each session to come to life (somehow the preamp in is in a sleep mode either in automatic or manual mode and does not turn on the unit until a fairly strong signal is sensed. very anoying).

Comment

• diononiz
                        • May 2011

Leaning towards 804 Diamond

Finally got a chance to do an extended audtion of the 805. I really enjoyed the huge soundstage and amazing detail, truly awesome speakers. The only thing I felt that was missing the lower midbass/bass. I do have a sub but honestly enjoy the fullness a tower speaker provides. So if the 804 has the top end of the 805s with some added midbass. I will be a happy camper. Anyone audition both the the 804 and the 805? Does the 804 have the imaging and clarity of the 805? Thanks in advance

Comment

• stuofsci02
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2009

I have auditioned both the 804D and the 805D. The 805D was great, but IMO the 804D is even better. Midrange is slighly better, but the bass is much better. 805D might (and I say might) disappear a little better since it is a smaller enslosure..
                          Main System:
                          B&W 801D
                          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                          Oppo BDP-105
                          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                          B&W CM7
                          Emotiva UMC-1
                          Emotiva UPA-2
                          Oppo BDP-83SE
                          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"