Which Upgrade? - CAM350 /CA5300 versus CA2300/CA5300 versus 2 CA5300?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spykids777
    • Dec 2010

Which Upgrade? - CAM350 /CA5300 versus CA2300/CA5300 versus 2 CA5300?

SORRY FOR THIS DOUBLE POST - Had posted this in Classe forum but have not got any replies - Just trying to see if anyone here might have an answer.

I currently have 803Di and HTM4Di as my fronts and a 7.1 system. I am using the CA5300 to power my 803Di by Bi-Amping and using the 5th channel to run the center channel. The surrounds and rears are run by my Denon 5308CI. I am eventually thinking of replacing my Denon with the SSP-800. For the time being I am thinking of the following upgrade -

1. Buy the CAM350 monoblocks ( the newer monoblocks are too expensive for me for now) and power the 803Di - they will go down to 4ohms which the CA5300 does not. Then I will have the 5 channels from CA5300 to drive my center, surrounds and rears.

2. Buy another CA5300 and use four amps from there to run my surrounds and rears.

3. Get a CA2300 to add to my CA5300 and use them for the 803d - since they go to 4ohms.

Which options in your opinion will the system sound better? - Biamp with the 5300 versus the CAM350 monoblocks versus CA 2300? Will the fact that the CAM350 and 5300 are of diff series affect the sound if the 5300 is driving the center channel?

Also in my current setup the input levels from my Denon to the Center channel has to be raised to about +4 versus the 803Di which are -4. Is this big input diff due to biamping? or is it because it is the HTM4d and would be more closer if it was HTM2D? DOes the extra increased center channel speaker level affect sound quality?

Thanks
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

I have the CAM-350s powering my 803Ds and love them. They are dynamic and sound sweet, as well, they enable the 803Ds to perform at peak levels.

My HTM2D is powered in a bi-amp connection to a CAV-150 (150 watts per channel). This amp also powers my side channels. I bump the center channel by 3db to balance the fronts. Ideally, you would want to have the same power for the front end, but, I like my CAM-350s so much for music that I am willing to sacrifice the small differences that I notice for HT.

A Classe dealer told me last year that the CAM-350s are still his favorite amps, and you can get a good deal for them on Audiogon! :T

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by spykids777
      SORRY FOR THIS DOUBLE POST - Had posted this in Classe forum but have not got any replies - Just trying to see if anyone here might have an answer.
      There are plenty of people who can help, just perhaps not always within your expected time frame
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• scanido
        • Apr 2006

if youve got the space i would go with the mono blocks. Normally a manufacturer's mono block designs will outperform their stereo offerings.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"