X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chucka
    • Aug 2009

803di vs 804di

I have been auditioning 804di and 803di's in a number of different dealers, with different rooms and electronics. My wife prefers the larger physical size of the 803's to better match the scale of the room and other items in the room but does not like to looks of the 802's. The system, which will eventually become a 5.0 system but starting as a 3.0 system will use no sub-woofers and will be located in a Condo living room. So in theory, the 803Di's would be better because they have more low end extension.

On many occasions where both were available for audition, the 804di's were more involving than the 803Di's (many times with the same electronics and wires). Same when 803Di's vs 802Di's were in the same room, the 802's seemed more involving. All sounded OK but the 803's were less "magical" though they did have better bottom end compared to the 804Di's. On a few occasions where I listened to 803's by themselves without the 804/802 comparison, in some locations 803di's were good and in others my reaction was ho-mum (could be the effects of the electronics and wiring).

While I can hear the effect of room and electronics on all of these speakers, the 804Di's and 802Di always have given a good presentation but the 803Di's lesser so.

Has anyone experienced this who either have 803Di's or have auditioned the 803Di's when compared to the 804Di's of 802Di's? What is the feelings towards the 803Di's when compared to the 804Di's with everything else being equal?

Chucka
  • Pedro
    • Jan 2006

I cannot judge this comparison between 803Di and 804Di. But from what i listened in the old line just "D" series, the 804S (which hasnt diamond tweeter) sounded a bit better in the mids (more detailed) than the 803D which presented so much better highs and lows. I don´t know if it´s something like you´re reffering in your comparison...

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

I have the 803D and the 804 Diamonds in different rooms and systems. I don't agree with your analysis, but it greatly depends on the system and room acoustics, as well as your own ears and experience in listening.

Comment

• dukester
        • Sep 2010

When I auditioned them both, I found the 803Di's mids/hi's to have bigger presence and deeper/fuller soundstage. But when I did, I made sure to put them in the same positions with the same toe-in, distance apart, etc. since it made a significant difference otherwise. If you did not do that, highly recommend it. If you did, and you like he 804Di's over the 803Di's, then bonus for you (and you save about $2.5K)! Gotta love win-win situations
        McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• altanpsx
          • Nov 2008

If you auditioned them with the same electronics, 804di are probably sound better. 803di's are very power hungry speakers, on the contrary 804di can sound very good with low power amp. When you are in the league of the 803di you will need at least 200 watt amp, and amp must be a decent one, like mcintosh, classe, asr....

Comment

• Chucka
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by altanpsx
            If you auditioned them with the same electronics, 804di are probably sound better. 803di's are very power hungry speakers, on the contrary 804di can sound very good with low power amp. When you are in the league of the 803di you will need at least 200 watt amp, and amp must be a decent one, like mcintosh, classe, asr....
            Should the Anthem A5 amplifier be large enough to properly power the 803di's in a medium size condo (room is 19'x16'). Lack of dealers with 803di's on display make comparison very difficult.

Thank you to all who commented on my listening observations. This is why I am still leaning towards the 803di's over the 804di's (and that there will be no sub in the system).

Chucka

Comment

• dukester
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Chucka
              Should the Anthem A5 amplifier be large enough to properly power the 803di's in a medium size condo (room is 19'x16'). Lack of dealers with 803di's on display make comparison very difficult.

Thank you to all who commented on my listening observations. This is why I am still leaning towards the 803di's over the 804di's (and that there will be no sub in the system).

Chucka
              Good point made by altanpsx. I powered my 803Di's w/150 wpc initially but have since doubled it, and the difference was significant in all respects. Recommend 300 wpc minimum w/803Di's..
              McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• Rod#S
                • Oct 2010

Why no sub? I live in an apartment and have 3 Paradigm 15" subs, 2 Servo 15a's and a Sub25, I can't imagine not having at least one sub unless you were planning on getting ridiculously capable mains for which in my opinion B&W does not make and that includes the 800 Diamonds. I would consider speakers like the Wilson Alexandria Series - 2 X-2 or the Focal Grande Utopia EM the types of speakers that would not require dedicated subwoofers when used in a home theater environment.
                B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• Chucka
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Rod#S
                  Why no sub? I live in an apartment and have 3 Paradigm 15" subs, 2 Servo 15a's and a Sub25, I can't imagine not having at least one sub unless you were planning on getting ridiculously capable mains for which in my opinion B&W does not make and that includes the 800 Diamonds. I would consider speakers like the Wilson Alexandria Series - 2 X-2 or the Focal Grande Utopia EM the types of speakers that would not require dedicated subwoofers when used in a home theater environment.
                  Wife does not want Subs and it is her room - so no subs. But we only watch a couple of movies a month if that. Majority of use of this system is for Music listening (and television watching).

Chucka

Comment

• dukester
                    • Sep 2010

Wife does not want Subs and it is her room - so no subs. But we only watch a couple of movies a month if that. Majority of use of this system is for Music listening (and television watching).

Chucka
                    All things considered, 803Di it is then, and imo, will fit your needs very well. However, I agree w/Rod#S, my sub balances out my music much better than 803Di's alone...and can't imagine listening w/o it. In any case, happy hunting.

Comment

• Rod#S
                      • Oct 2010

Chucka
                      Gotcha, then the 804Di's or 803Di's will both do very well.
                      B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• Rod#S
                        • Oct 2010

I have been auditioning 804di and 803di's in a number of different dealers, with different rooms and electronics. My wife prefers the larger physical size of the 803's to better match the scale of the room and other items in the room but does not like to looks of the 802's. The system, which will eventually become a 5.0 system but starting as a 3.0 system will use no sub-woofers and will be located in a Condo living room. So in theory, the 803Di's would be better because they have more low end extension.

On many occasions where both were available for audition, the 804di's were more involving than the 803Di's (many times with the same electronics and wires). Same when 803Di's vs 802Di's were in the same room, the 802's seemed more involving. All sounded OK but the 803's were less "magical" though they did have better bottom end compared to the 804Di's. On a few occasions where I listened to 803's by themselves without the 804/802 comparison, in some locations 803di's were good and in others my reaction was ho-mum (could be the effects of the electronics and wiring).

While I can hear the effect of room and electronics on all of these speakers, the 804Di's and 802Di always have given a good presentation but the 803Di's lesser so.

Has anyone experienced this who either have 803Di's or have auditioned the 803Di's when compared to the 804Di's of 802Di's? What is the feelings towards the 803Di's when compared to the 804Di's with everything else being equal?

Chucka
                        Hello, just checking in to see if you made a decision yet and if so which you decided on and of course how are you liking it

Rod

Comment

• Chucka
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Rod#S
                          Hello, just checking in to see if you made a decision yet and if so which you decided on and of course how are you liking it

Rod
                          Condo is delayed so no purchase yet. I am leaving my options open until the last minute except that it WILL be B&W.

Chucka

Comment

• Rod#S
                            • Oct 2010

Thanks for the update. Hopefully you get your condo situation back on track.

Comment

• gerardhn
                              • Jun 2005

Iám confused by these opinions. 803 Di is a better speaker than 804Di. 803 D was a classe above the S version. Independant of power hungry stories.
                              Calibrate or recalibration of quality is asked!

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by gerardhn
                                Iám confused by these opinions. 803 Di is a better speaker than 804Di. 803 D was a classe above the S version. Independant of power hungry stories.
                                Calibrate or recalibration of quality is asked!
                                What is it that makes the 803Di better then the 804Di? IMO it is really down to the room they are in...
                                Main System:
                                B&W 801D
                                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                Oppo BDP-105
                                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                B&W CM7
                                Emotiva UMC-1
                                Emotiva UPA-2
                                Oppo BDP-83SE
                                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"