X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spykids777
    • Dec 2010

Preamp versus SSP

Hi,

I have a silly newbie question. What exactly is the difference in what the SSP800 and CP700 do? Currently I have a Denon 5408CI Preamp/receiver that does a reasonably good job of processing audio and video signals including upscaling all signals to 1080p. I am planning on pairing it with the Classe CA5300 and the 803D for about 70%movies and 30%music. To get the most out of the system:

1. Do I need to look at finally upgrading the Denon to both CP700 and SSP800?

2. Could I do with just SSP800 and use it to process the sound but have the Denon do the video processing since SSP800 does not have the best video processing and does not upscale? - or is this not possible?

Thanks for your help.
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Phew, this is quite a question, but I'll make a start!

The CP700 is a fully balanced ANALOG pre-amp, for the analogue purist with multiple analogue sources.
    The SSP-800 is a 10 channel pre-amp/processor. Processors can decode the mulit-channel film sound tracks.

Your interest is HT, therefore, you'll be looking at the SSP800 - which also happens to have a pretty decent analog stage which sounds arguably as good as the CP700.

The SSP-800 does not contain a scaler, or any other video processing tricks, what goes in comes out. This is actually desirable. Picture quality is superb, but obviously never better than the source. Upscaling does not/cannot improve picture quality (you can only guess at what isn't there).

Bringing the Denon into the video path in addition to the SSP-800 would probably not work due to HDCP limitations, and I can't honestly see it bringing any kind of benefit or improvement anyway.

On the other hand, the CA5300 is supposed to be a fine amp (I've not heard it) and I'm sure it will sound stella with your Denon. You could then upgrade your Denon to the SSP-800 later, and the only thing missing would be a scaler (and an FM tuner) - neither of which are arguably necessary.

My opinion is that an SSP-800/CA5300 combo, with B&W speakers, is some extremely well balanced and very desirable kit, that should sound absolutely superb for many many years!
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Audio_ElF
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by mjb
      The SSP-800 does not contain a scaler, or any other video processing tricks, what goes in comes out. This is actually desirable. Picture quality is superb, but obviously never better than the source. Upscaling does not/cannot improve picture quality (you can only guess at what isn't there).

Bringing the Denon into the video path in addition to the SSP-800 would probably not work due to HDCP limitations, and I can't honestly see it bringing any kind of benefit or improvement anyway.
      This is actually (at least partly) incorrect.

All modern video displays need to have some form of scaler. Each pixel of the display needs to be told what to do: without any scaling with DVD (for example) only a portion of the pixels would be lit - you used to be able to see this on old laptop displays where a 800x600 display would only use middle portion when fed 640x480.

Now different scaling solutions produce a picture of better or worse quality. A basic DVD player or TV will have a relatively cheap scaler in it. A high quality standalone scaler obviously at the other end. You may find that you get a better picture with scaling turned on in your DVD player, or better if no scaling occurs in the DVD player and happens in your TV.

Now the scaling in the Denon is (in quality) somewhere in the middle. I don't have details, but it's probably quite high quality but limited in terms of controls - a high end scaler has control over every aspect of the image.

Anyway you may be able to attach all your sources to a SPP800 and then re output to the Denon to use the scaler in there. But I don't think this would work very well in terms of usibility. The SSP800 has no scaler because a large percentage of users will want to choose their own scaler external.

Buy the SPP800 and CA5300 then add an external scaler would be best method.

Eloise

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
        This is actually (at least partly) incorrect.
        I agree it is an assumption, but all modern display devices have an inbuilt scaler, they must as you rightly point out, and in my limited experience adding a second is usually not an improvement.

Anyway you may be able to attach all your sources to a SPP800 and then re output to the Denon to use the scaler in there. But I don't think this would work very well in terms of usibility.
        I don't think this will work due to HDCP limitations - the Denon will also assume the audio processing role - can anyone confirm this?

The SSP800 has no scaler because a large percentage of users will want to choose their own scaler external.
        See above!

Buy the SPP800 and CA5300 then add an external scaler would be best method.
        This is my recommendation too - IF adding the scaler is beneficial!
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"