X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigchief
    • Mar 2010

B&W 802D vs new 803Di

Any opinions on if a new set of 803Di would be better than buying a used set of 802D in overall sound quality. Just curious becsaue I believe the price is going to be really close. I can get a used set of 802D about 8500-9000 plus shipping fees, and i think a new pair of 803Di run around 9K is this correct?.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

bigchief,

Good question. I own 802D's, so I'm a bit biased. The 803Di's could be comparable. One definite difference is the footprint. The 802D's are definitely bigger.

And the 802D's, to some extent, love more power. The more power and current you throw at it, the better. But I think the ceiling on the 802D's, in terms of power, is higher.

The marlin head on the 802D to me is the difference maker. It's just so liquid and open. Amazing soundstage.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

Hy,

from a "old" demo B&W802D with ca. 200hr. versus a new 803Di was too my
      dilemma. what was the best solution?

well I'm gos with the new 803Di :T (replace a old 803D: today setup L&R 803Di, center Htm2D rear 803D or hte always "green" 805S)

the new serie fromB&W is very gooood: I had never thinked in a so revolution, not evolution, very safisfait.

the soundstage from the 803Di is not the same from the marlin head but you must listen before a purchasing! you can be very surprised.
      the LF with the new serie on the 803Di are amazing with te HF: just married!
      not like before....

style

Comment

• bigchief
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by htsteve
        bigchief,

Good question. I own 802D's, so I'm a bit biased. The 803Di's could be comparable. One definite difference is the footprint. The 802D's are definitely bigger.

And the 802D's, to some extent, love more power. The more power and current you throw at it, the better. But I think the ceiling on the 802D's, in terms of power, is higher.

The marlin head on the 802D to me is the difference maker. It's just so liquid and open. Amazing soundstage.

Hope this helps.
        Hey Steve

As you can tell I am still in the market for the B&W, but since I am in Italy and looks like I won't be purchasing them until December now, I thought I's look into the 803Di. I agree the Marlan head sound great and adds extra beauty but I have to keep things in perspective in relations to my HT room and size. 802D means more modification , 803Di means very little modification ....
        So if sound and power reqirements are a plus for the803Di, I may have to make and adult decision and go for whats best and give up the signature look! ops:

Comment

• bigchief
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by style
          Hy,

from a "old" demo B&W802D with ca. 200hr. versus a new 803Di was too my
          dilemma. what was the best solution?

well I'm gos with the new 803Di :T (replace a old 803D: today setup L&R 803Di, center Htm2D rear 803D or hte always "green" 805S)

the new serie fromB&W is very gooood: I had never thinked in a so revolution, not evolution, very safisfait.

the soundstage from the 803Di is not the same from the marlin head but you must listen before a purchasing! you can be very surprised.
          the LF with the new serie on the 803Di are amazing with te HF: just married!
          not like before....

style
          Hi, Style
          Okay so If I understand you correctly, you are saying you use to own the 802D and now you have decided to go for the 803Di, because they are more efficient and sound just as good if not better than the 802D..
          Thanks for the input...

Comment

• HedgeHog
            • Dec 2008

Hi Chief,

When I talked to our local dealer, he was claiming the new 803Di may be superior than the 802D. However, after auditioning them, I still think the 802D offered a better overall tonality. While the new series sounded slightly better in certain details, it lacked an overall cohesiveness, imho. Of course, others that heard these in the same demo said the room may be a part of this. Having said that, my own room isn't that great but I still like the 802D over the 803Di.

However, when I sauntered into the dealer's 802Di demo room, I can definitely say I prefer the 802Di over the 802D. It just sounded more 3D. To my ears, the 802Di just seem to be more enveloping and warmer.

My 2 cents...

Have fun in your search!

-Hedwig
            Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
            Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
            B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
            Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
            Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

Hi HedgeHog,

the new B&E diamond are a lot difference vs. the old serie..

the new Diamont I like much more vs. the old: is a very Revoluton not one Evolution .....

the 802Di are muchbetter vs. the 802d old and the same with the 803.

but if I must choice from a old 802D or the new 803di I go with the new serie:
              without any doubt.

this new serie ,expecially with classe audio sound amazing!

I had changed the setup from my SSP800 (all the level db.) the new speaker "need" much minus "pressure".

style

Comment

• bigchief
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by HedgeHog
                Hi Chief,

When I talked to our local dealer, he was claiming the new 803Di may be superior than the 802D. However, after auditioning them, I still think the 802D offered a better overall tonality. While the new series sounded slightly better in certain details, it lacked an overall cohesiveness, imho. Of course, others that heard these in the same demo said the room may be a part of this. Having said that, my own room isn't that great but I still like the 802D over the 803Di.

However, when I sauntered into the dealer's 802Di demo room, I can definitely say I prefer the 802Di over the 802D. It just sounded more 3D. To my ears, the 802Di just seem to be more enveloping and warmer.

My 2 cents...

Have fun in your search!

-Hedwig
                Hi HedgeHog,
                Thank you for your observation, I can only imagine how great the 802Di sounds. Hopefully when I get back to the U.S. I can start auditioning some 803Di vs the 802D. I would love to have the 802Di but they are out of my price range. Its either a used pair 802D or a new pair 803Di.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"