X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gump
    • Sep 2005

Speaker Spiking Saga

So, I'm sitting on my couch in stereo bliss listening to Bonnie Raitt serenade me on my 803D's when a little voice in the back of my head asks me what I can do to make them sound "just a little bit better". It's then that I get the proverbial wild hair and decide to take the plunge into the world of "spiking" my speakers.
    The nice thing about not having the speakers spiked is that I can move them around easily and adjust the sound. I normally keep them about 14 inches from the back wall. They sound pretty good and they're not that far into the room which makes my wife happy. But to get that optimal 3-D deep soundstage I've found that about 2 feet from the wall is best. So I usually slide them out another foot when I do some "serious" listening. I could put my foot down and leave them 2 feet out from the wall, but I'd probabably have to string a hammock between them to sleep in.
    At any rate, I was curious what difference adding spikes would make to the sound so I decided to go for it.
    I cleverly put tape on the carpet marking the "perfect" spot where the speakers were placed. I then laid them on their sides on a nice thick blanket to protect them. Attaching the spikes was easy and then I stood the speakers back up. Unfortunately, I was several inches off my marked spot.
    Then I tried to move them.
    It was at this exact moment that I uncovered the conspiracy. It is now my firm belief that this whole "speaker spiking" thing is a devious plot thought up by the hernia and back doctors of the world. I have to believe that
    the speaker companys are in cahoots with them.
    How do you lift a hundred pound speaker that has no handles and is spiked into the carpet? The answer is ---not very easily. The only technique I found effective was to do a half squat and "bear hug" the speaker, lifting it straight up moving it over and then setting it straight down.
    I finally got them on the marked spot on the carpet.
    That's when I learned my next lesson.
    Apparently these spikes effect the speakers in different ways because Ms. Raitt, who had been spot on center stage, was now crooning me from about 3 feet left of center. Minor speaker adjustments make big differences in soundstaging.
    I soon learned that my playful 803D's have a little bit of a cruel streak in them. It took me at least a dozen squat and lifts accompanied with a substantial amount of perspiration to finally get Bonnie back in her proper spot in the center. Not a minute too soon either as I could sense she was getting perturbed hauling her guitar and microphone back and forth across my wall.
    So, the spikes are in and the speakers are set...now, how do they sound?
    Well, they still sound great but, do they sound "better"?
    The answer to that is; I think so...
    The bass sounds tighter and more defined, but I can't stop wondering if, after all my hard work, I might be just trying to convince myself that they sound better. Either way the difference is certainly not monumental.
    Ah well, back to Bonnie....she'll make it all better.

P.S. My hat's off to you 802D and up owners that spike your speakers on carpet...you're my heros'.
  • JohnAng
    • Sep 2005

when i spiked my 703, nowhere near the weight of your 803d i found the best way was to find the perfect spot for them without the spikes then as they sat on that perfect spot to tilt them back and place in the 2 front spikes. Then tilt them forward and place the rear to spikes.
    Strange though how it seemed to move the soundstage for you, with the 703's there was no shifting of soundstage and idn't realy notice any difference in sound either.
    Mind you i never realy had them without spikes for long enough to realy get to know the sound of these speakers without spikes.
    For me it was a matter of finding the optimal position for hem and add the spikes

Comment

• grit
      • Jan 2005

I'd love to hear from anyone else with experiences in spikes, stands, discs, or other materials used to sit speakers on. For the same reasons Gump stated (and thanks for sharing your oh-so-true-to-life story), I never put spikes on my 703's until recently. Unfortunately, I waited until I changed speaker cable to do it. I'm quite certain (since I A/B tested before buying) the speaker wire made a difference and have no idea if spikes made a change at all.

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by Gump
        but I can't stop wondering if, after all my hard work, I might be just trying to convince myself that they sound better.
        Surely not?

Hi-fi enthusiasts don't do that, do we?

Comment

• xk8boy
          • Jul 2005

Gump, it takes two to spike those 802D, what else good are friends for? hehe. Once spiked the 802D sounded so much better. Bass become tighter and imaging improve - the singers voices snapped right into place.

Comment

• Gump
            • Sep 2005

i spiked my 703, nowhere near the weight of your 803d i found the best way was to find the perfect spot for them without the spikes then as they sat
            on that perfect spot to tilt them back and place in the 2 front spikes. Then tilt them forward and place the rear to spikes.
            Strange though how it seemed to move the soundstage for you, with the 703's there was no shifting of soundstage and idn't realy notice any difference in sound either.
            Mind you i never realy had them without spikes for long enough to realy get to know the sound of these speakers without spikes.
            For me it was a matter of finding the optimal position for hem and add the spikes

Comment

• Gump
              • Sep 2005

I considered the tilt method when I was trying to figure out how to do it, but I chose to be a conformist and abide by the instructions in the B&W owner's manual which recommend laying them on their sides to install the spikes. Ultimately I had to tilt them several times anyway to adjust the spikes to make the speakers level.

Comment

• Gump
                • Sep 2005

looks like I need to practice this quote/respond thing too....sorry for confusion

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

I use the spikes on my N803's, they do make a difference, I had no problem picking them up and moving them, but Im a fairly big guy, but my ASW850 subwoofer is another story its fat and squatty weighing in at around 80lbs or so. When I put it on spikes I moved it around with those teflon disc that you can buy to move your furniture around with, then when I found the spot I just tilted it back and took out the front disc then did the same for the back.

With those disc a baby could push around a Piano, we used them when we had our carpet installed, I didnt have to pick up anything.
                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• jim777
                    • Mar 2005

I had no problems installing the spikes on my 703's without putting them on their sides, but take care!

The change in my case was huge between spikes and rubbers, and between the rubbers and nothing at all. The sound stage now breaths (a new audiophiliterm?? - call it more air if you want!)

Comment

• Eliav
                      • Jul 2005

Hi
                      I spiked my 803s. It does make a difference, bass is cleaner and tighter, consequently, the mids and highs are better heard and defined, moving the speakers with the spikes on a crpet is easy, you use one spike as a hinge and roll the speaker on it to the desired point. as for location for best imaging : it takes some time to get the best spot,it is very much influenced by room acoustics. I would start with Carda's formula and keep an equal triangle between you and the speakers as a starting point, than, I would start playing with the toe-in angle.
                      Eliav
                      :T Socrat

Comment

• wca156
                        • Jun 2005

I too have been considering spikes for my 803S's and been wondering if they really do improve the sound. It sound like you all would recommend them with my 1 inch thick carpeting and 1/2 inch thick padding on a concrete floor. I have too other questions. First, I don't find anything on the B&W website talking about spikes for the 803's. Any idea where I might find something talking about them and showing the cost? Second, did I understand correctly that you would use spikes on your sub? I have a ML Depth.
                        Bill

Comment

• RobP
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

I beleive those 803's should have come with spikes, and yes the sub should have spikes as well.
                          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• wca156
                            • Jun 2005

Soungravy, you are correct about the spikes for the 803's. I remember reading a thread about 802's or 801's. They were talking about them not coming with spikes and they had to be purchased separately. Maybe that was only in Europe. I have them. I installed them. Yes, I feel silly. Let the music begin! ops:
                            Bill

Comment

• Eliav
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by wca156
                              I too have been considering spikes for my 803S's and been wondering if they really do improve the sound. It sound like you all would recommend them with my 1 inch thick carpeting and 1/2 inch thick padding on a concrete floor. I have too other questions. First, I don't find anything on the B&W website talking about spikes for the 803's. Any idea where I might find something talking about them and showing the cost? Second, did I understand correctly that you would use spikes on your sub? I have a ML Depth.
                              The 803s come with spikes and "mushrooms". again, I definitely noticed a difference in their sound. BTW, B&W 803s manual recommend using them on carpets for best performance.
                              Cheers
                              Eliav
                              :T Socrat

Comment

• wca156
                                • Jun 2005

I like to listen to music in bypass mode and I had been using the sub because I thought the bass in my 803S's was a little light. I installed the spikes, turned off the sub and the bass exploded. I'm amazed and I'm a believer!!
                                Bill

Comment

• Mitchell
                                  • Sep 2004

I used the rubber feet initially on my 703's then installed sound anchor stands which made a big difference in the articulation of the bass imho. The reason for the sound anchors was originally to help stop sound from going through to a downstairs neighbor. I am not sure if the isolation worked but the sound absolutely improved.
                                  Mitchell

Comment

• grit
                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Mitchell
                                    I used the rubber feet initially on my 703's then installed sound anchor stands which made a big difference in the articulation of the bass imho. The reason for the sound anchors was originally to help stop sound from going through to a downstairs neighbor. I am not sure if the isolation worked but the sound absolutely improved.
                                    How much did you pay for the sound anchors? Gotta pic you can post? Please?

Comment

• tboooe
                                      • Jun 2005

I spiked everything!!!

I recently not only spiked my new 804S but also my audio rack. Yes, my audio rack also came with carpet spikes! Did it make a difference? Well I think the speaker spikes helpled to increase the clarity of the mids and highs but I am not sure...The audio rack spikes definitely made a huge difference!!!! Everything just opened up. I cant believe how good it sounds...man I am full of s&%t! I dont know if the spikes did anything other than give me peace of mind that I used them so that is one less thing i need to try out in my pursuit if musical nirvana.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"