X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SPACEMANRICK
    • May 2005

Upgrade of 804S system to 802DI system

I am considering (maybe dreaming) upgrading my current B&W 804S 2 channel system with a Denon 3805 125 watt AV Receiver, Denon DCM 380 CD player and a B&W ASW CM subwoofer. My room is quite large and extends 5 feet behind my listening area and has 18 foot high ceilings. I know it has been discussed before, but right now acoustic treatments are not an option in this room.

I am looking for opinions on this specific system from my dealer. If I buy the package deal together of the 802DI, Cambridge Azur 804W power amp, 840E pre amp, and Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD Player I hope to keep the after tax price down to around $19,000 to $20,000 Canadian.

I know these are not high end electronics like Classe and Macintosh but I am dealing with a budget and would like to get the most bang for my buck with the improved 802 DI speakers and the 200 watt power amps. Any thoughts on this upgrade? Any better way to go in regards for the money spent? I also want to add that when I tested my 804S speakers at the dealer a few years ago I heard them with a $3,000 amp and a $6,000 amp and I could not hear any difference at all between the 2.....

My system sounds pretty sweet right now but I am wondering how much improvement in sound I should expect?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SPACEMANRICK; 06 February 2011, 03:23 Sunday.
  • dknightd
    • Mar 2006

I haven't heard that combo, I assume you have. Seems like a solid choice, amp looks capable of driving the 802

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
      • May 2005

I have not heard them yet or the speakers but I was talking to my dealer on the telephone and the topic of the upgrade came up. I am wondering about the law of diminishing returns and if I am spending a ton of money to get just a small incremental improvement in sound?

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by SPACEMANRICK
        My system sounds pretty sweet right now but I am wondering how much improvement in sound I should expect?
        spacemanrick,

In short, it would be a huge upgrade (as you would expect from the cost of it). I went from N804's to my current 802D's. I first drove the 802D's with Rotel amps before going to the current Mac's.

802Di's definitely need a dedicated power amp. So your proposed pre-pro and amp combo will do a nice job, and be a real jump from the Denon setup. You actually haven't gotten the best out of the 804's. And you would upgrade the speakers, add an amp and a dedicated pre-pro. Quantum leap.

The performance improvement form the 804 to an 802 is large. Every area is noticably improved. Especially soundstage (not just width, but depth), and the qulity/extension of bass. The marlin head midrange is particularly excellent. And the diamond tweeter is very natural, very easy to listen to.

The 802Di's will also fill your large space quite nicely.

A good rule to live by is get the best speakers you can afford. If you have the means, and are thinking about the 802Di's, definitely go for it.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• dknightd
          • Mar 2006

I have not heard them yet or the speakers but I was talking to my dealer on the telephone and the topic of the upgrade came up. I am wondering about the law of diminishing returns and if I am spending a ton of money to get just a small incremental improvement in sound?
          That seems to happen when you talk to a dealer. Go listen to them. I imagine you'll notice a significant improvement. Will it be worth your money, and sound as significant in your room? Only one way to find out. . .

Comment

• Skyblue
            • Jun 2009

I currently run my 802di's with a Cambridge 740A 100watt integrated amp. That sounds surpricingly good. So, though you need 300watts to really make them shine, they do play fairly well with low end gear. Strangely they sound better in my room on the Cambridge than they did at the dealer with a classe c2100 and some classe 100 watt stereo amp.. I guess room does matter.
            B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
              • May 2005

Originally posted by htsteve
              spacemanrick,

In short, it would be a huge upgrade (as you would expect from the cost of it). I went from N804's to my current 802D's. I first drove the 802D's with Rotel amps before going to the current Mac's.

802Di's definitely need a dedicated power amp. So your proposed pre-pro and amp combo will do a nice job, and be a real jump from the Denon setup. You actually haven't gotten the best out of the 804's. And you would upgrade the speakers, add an amp and a dedicated pre-pro. Quantum leap.

The performance improvement form the 804 to an 802 is large. Every area is noticably improved. Especially soundstage (not just width, but depth), and the qulity/extension of bass. The marlin head midrange is particularly excellent. And the diamond tweeter is very natural, very easy to listen to.

The 802Di's will also fill your large space quite nicely.

A good rule to live by is get the best speakers you can afford. If you have the means, and are thinking about the 802Di's, definitely go for it.

Hope this helps.
              Thanks Steve, your feedback offers great insight especially since you went from the 804's to the 802's. Even going to the dealer and listening to the 802DI's and the Cambridge electronics won't let me know for sure how they will sound in my own listening room.

Did you notice a big improvement when you went from the Rotel equipment to the Mac's?

My concern was sparked by reading some posts on another forum about the law of diminishing returns kicking in hard at around $5,000 to $10,000 for electronics and speakers combined. Your strong endorsement for the improvement you personally experienced makes me think a good listening session is required at the dealer in the near future!

Thanks again for the feedback!

Comment

• htsteve
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Did you notice a big improvement when you went from the Rotel equipment to the Mac's?

My concern was sparked by reading some posts on another forum about the law of diminishing returns kicking in hard at around $5,000 to $10,000 for electronics and speakers combined. Your strong endorsement for the improvement you personally experienced makes me think a good listening session is required at the dealer in the near future!

I liked my Rotel electronics very much. I ran a system on them for a number of years. But about 3 years ago, I built a dedicated HT room in my basement. While that was underway, I got the 802D's, then a bit later the Mac's (I was able to compare the Rotel and Mac's side by side before moving into the HT room). I auditioned McIntosh, Krell and Classe. All are excellent and pretty awesome performers. For me and my tastes, the Mac's won the day. (B&W's can be a bit clinical at times, and the Mac's are a bit 'laid back'. So the combo works very well for me).

As for the jumping from a Rotel/Cambridge to the Mac level, there are some diminishing returns. Rotel is very good performance for the price. And Mac's cost 2-3 times as much. Are they 2-3 times better? Subjective question. I would say for many people no, not in terms of price paid. However, in pure performace terms, the Mac's are pretty awesome. Every aspect is improved by a good margin. Effortless power in the amps. Very, very good performance in the pre-amp. A very smooth sound. Throw in speakers like 802D's and it's spectacular.

One thing to check into is to ask your dealer to take the Cambridge combo home to your exiting setup. Then you will see what a difference just a dedicated amp and pre-amp make. Then you add in the large jump to an 802Di, and you are taking leap and bounds.

Dedicated electronics (vs. a receiver) should make improvements in all areas. But especially in soundstage and bass. You have a large room. 804s running off a reciever will generally not give you superb bass. Going to dedicated electronics will make a large improvement in this area. Then add the 802Di's and their dual woofers in each speaker, then you will have a FULL range setup.

One thing that are so nice about 802D's is that you can drive them with a modest dedicated amp and they will sound very good. But they have a ton of potential. So upgrading the electronics is a good way to go (starting with the amp).

Your last statement hit it correctly. You need to listen for yourself. Take material you are very familiar with. I discovered B&W this way. Stopped in a stereo store to listen to different brands. The B&W's were playing. I did some comparison and the B&W's won out. I've had B&W's for 15 years now.

Hope this helps.
                Last edited by htsteve; 07 February 2011, 09:15 Monday.

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Yes they can last 20 years :T
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                    • May 2005

I went down to the dealer today and gave the 802DI a good listen with the Cambridge power amp and Cambridge pre amp. I was very impressed with the improved highs, soundstage, and crystal clear clarity of this setup over my 804's with my Denon 3805. I did notice that with the 802DI with the Cambridge setup the bass was deep but not as strong as I would have liked and the sound was a little thin for my liking.

I currently have the B&W ASW CM subwoofer with my 804's and much prefer the sound of the 804'S with the subwoofer over the sound of the 804's without the subwoofer so I tried the 802DI with the Cambridge setup with a Velodyne subwoofer and was blown away by the improved fullness and depth to the music. With the subwoofer the 802DI was pretty well everything I could expect for in a speaker this size and at this price range. My wife who is not a bass hound also thought that without the sub the sound was great in the highs and mids but a little thin in the bass. I am surprised that the bass was a little lacking with the 802DI with the 2 8" woofers but the subwoofer made a huge difference when it was added in to the mix.

For reference, I also listened to the 802DI with the 2011 version of the same Denon AV receiver that I have and it lacked even more bass and sounded not nearly as clear and full than with the Cambridge setup.

I am going to go back to the dealer and bring my ASW CM subwoofer to try out with the 802DI and the Cambridge setup to make my final decision. My dealer in Vancouver made me an awesome offer on the total 802DI with the Cambridge setup so it will be an offer hard to turn down. I will let you know how it goes after my next listening session.

Maybe it is a male/female thing but I thought the speakers were majestic and beautiful.... my wife, well she wasn't quite as impressed by their appearance :roll:

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone so far on the forum :T

Comment

• Skyblue
                      • Jun 2009

I went down to the dealer today and gave the 802DI a good listen with the Cambridge power amp and Cambridge pre amp. I was very impressed with the improved highs, soundstage, and crystal clear clarity of this setup over my 804's with my Denon 3805. I did notice that with the 802DI with the Cambridge setup the bass was deep but not as strong as I would have liked and the sound was a little thin for my liking.

I currently have the B&W ASW CM subwoofer with my 804's and much prefer the sound of the 804'S with the subwoofer over the sound of the 804's without the subwoofer so I tried the 802DI with the Cambridge setup with a Velodyne subwoofer and was blown away by the improved fullness and depth to the music. With the subwoofer the 802DI was pretty well everything I could expect for in a speaker this size and at this price range. My wife who is not a bass hound also thought that without the sub the sound was great in the highs and mids but a little thin in the bass. I am surprised that the bass was a little lacking with the 802DI with the 2 8" woofers but the subwoofer made a huge difference when it was added in to the mix.

For reference, I also listened to the 802DI with the 2011 version of the same Denon AV receiver that I have and it lacked even more bass and sounded not nearly as clear and full than with the Cambridge setup.

I am going to go back to the dealer and bring my ASW CM subwoofer to try out with the 802DI and the Cambridge setup to make my final decision. My dealer in Vancouver made me an awesome offer on the total 802DI with the Cambridge setup so it will be an offer hard to turn down. I will let you know how it goes after my next listening session.
                      Its a strange thing that. I have had the 802di's for 2 months now, and at the dealer and in the beginning I thought the bass was a little on the lighter side. However, after a couple of hundred hours its certainly started to loosen up. The bass seems to be exactly where it needs to me. No more, no less. Maybe its a mental thing, but its a very coherent sound image. Right now, as I listen to Q's Jook Joint with Quincy Jones, I think the bass is just perfect.

That being said, I did think the bass was a bit on the low side at the beginning, so I ordered an upgrade to 800di's and a db1, to arrive in a month time.

Maybe it is a male/female thing but I thought the speakers were majestic and beautiful.... my wife, well she wasn't quite as impressed by their appearance :roll:
                      It must be. I think they are a piece of art. But the missus thinks they are way too large. When I told her I had ordered the 800di's she almost fainted.

I actually spend a lot of time preparing her. I have shown her a number of pictures of large not so good looking speakers.

"This is a fine speaker honey. Its a wilson sasha. Do you like the color?"

How about these Wilson Maxx 3? They are really something:

We agreed that the 802's were neither ugly nor large (only a bit)..
                      B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• gerardhn
                        • Jun 2005

Skyblue!
                        you do a clever massage!!!

others, some discussion back: 802 Di need high quality amps to get out of them what that can.
                        of course I like to save money and so I can make a story how good they are with denon or cambridge amplifiers. But that is not the juice they are designed for.

Sorry.

The best way to invest less is to buy the expensive electronics second hand.
                        Amplification technology is not that fast moving and high priced exclusive stuf depriciates a lot.
                        Compare with cars! A previous model/ 3 yr old big BMW is still a better car than...., and has its V6 engine ever been worn out?

Sorry I have other opinion, but the chain must be balanced. Otherwise you hear the weakest..

Regards!

Comment

• Skyblue
                          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by gerardhn
                          Skyblue!

others, some discussion back: 802 Di need high quality amps to get out of them what that can.
                          of course I like to save money and so I can make a story how good they are with denon or cambridge amplifiers. But that is not the juice they are designed for.

Sorry.

Amplification technology is not that fast moving and high priced exclusive stuf depriciates a lot.
                          Compare with cars! A previous model/ 3 yr old big BMW is still a better car than...., and has its V6 engine ever been worn out?

Sorry I have other opinion, but the chain must be balanced. Otherwise you hear the weakest..

Regards!
                          No doubt about it. However, my 100watt cambridge integrated actually plays very well with the 802s.. Very detailed, very nice.

Next week I get 600 watts icepower asx2 modules installed. Then we'll see if that improves the sound.

Else, I'll definately pick up some used amps. Currently considering ayre mx-r's or bryston sst 4 or ... My wish is for the Ayres since they can be hidden away with relative ease You gotta throw the dog a bone

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by gerardhn
                            Skyblue!

Sorry.

Regards!
                            I would love to have some nice 500 watt amplifiers but like most things in life you have to have a bit of give and take.....

The dealer has offered me not only a great deal on my trade in of my 5 year old 804S speakers and a good discount on the purchase of the 802DI but also a great deal on the Cambridge amp and pre amp. With limited cash resources I think this upgrade is great for now and as for other future electronic upgrades we will see where that leads us.

My wife has no appreciation for my music system so I have to leave some dollars on the table for her for her toys and trinkets :W

Comment

• Hammie
                              • Oct 2005

I would love to have some nice 500 watt amplifiers but like most things in life you have to have a bit of give and take.....

The dealer has offered me not only a great deal on my trade in of my 5 year old 804S speakers and a good discount on the purchase of the 802DI but also a great deal on the Cambridge amp and pre amp. With limited cash resources I think this upgrade is great for now and as for other future electronic upgrades we will see where that leads us.

My wife has no appreciation for my music system so I have to leave some dollars on the table for her for her toys and trinkets :W
                              I feel you 2000% there, brother!!!
                              Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                              Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                              Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                              Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                              B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                              Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                              My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                              Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• htsteve
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

SPACEMANRICK,

An excellent plan. You will enjoy that setup.

I also feel for you. I also need to ensure I leave funds more my wife's hobbies.......
                                Last edited by htsteve; 14 February 2011, 10:16 Monday.

Comment

• Rod#S
                                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Skyblue
                                  Its a strange thing that. I have had the 802di's for 2 months now, and at the dealer and in the beginning I thought the bass was a little on the lighter side. However, after a couple of hundred hours its certainly started to loosen up. The bass seems to be exactly where it needs to me. No more, no less. Maybe its a mental thing, but its a very coherent sound image. Right now, as I listen to Q's Jook Joint with Quincy Jones, I think the bass is just perfect.

That being said, I did think the bass was a bit on the low side at the beginning, so I ordered an upgrade to 800di's and a db1, to arrive in a month time.

It must be. I think they are a piece of art. But the missus thinks they are way too large. When I told her I had ordered the 800di's she almost fainted.

I actually spend a lot of time preparing her. I have shown her a number of pictures of large not so good looking speakers.

"This is a fine speaker honey. Its a wilson sasha. Do you like the color?"

How about these Wilson Maxx 3? They are really something:

We agreed that the 802's were neither ugly nor large (only a bit)..
                                  Wilson's are an interesing case. I have never had the oppotunity of hearing them but I'm sure they sound absolutely fabulous but I just can't get past the fact they are, in my opinion some of the ugliest speakers I have ever seen and what is up with the color options. They look like something someone threw togther with spare parts found in a work shop. I may be a bit vain in my purchasing decisions but there is no way I would ever buy something that ugly regardless of how good it sounds. Now the opposite is not true, if the most beautiful looking speaker sounded like garbage I wouldn't have it either so there is a definite balance between cosmetics and sound quality.
                                  Yes I am biased towards B&W :B and I am one who really likes the look of the marlan heads though I know there are many people who don't but this is what makes the hobby so enjoyable, so much variety in style and tastes. Have fun with the 800Di's and DB1, that trio will make one heck of a nice soundstage. I just took possession of a HTM2Di and will be getting the 802Di's next and since I have 3 subs any bass short comings in the 802Dis will be easily addressed.
                                  B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• garak
                                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Rod#S
                                    Wilson's are an interesing case. I have never had the oppotunity of hearing them but I'm sure they sound absolutely fabulous but I just can't get past the fact they are, in my opinion some of the ugliest speakers I have ever seen and what is up with the color options. They look like something someone threw togther with spare parts found in a work shop.
                                    I agree. They are hideously ugly. When I see them, I can't help but think of B9.

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                      • May 2005

Well I went down again today to give the speakers and amps another listen. I wasn't rushed today and had the listening room to myself so I could get a better more relaxed impression of the system. I brought down my B&W ASW CM subwoofers to see how they sounded with the proposed new setup. I put on some REM, Crowded House, and U2 and I was blown away by the clarity, soundstage, and how tight everything sounded together. I swear that with the U2 song Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Bono was singing in the same room as I was sitting in ;x(

Needless to say, I put my deposit down today and the system should be here in about 2 weeks. Thanks everyone for all of their help and advice!

Comment

• dukester
                                        • Sep 2010

Aside from actually listening to them, anticipating your speakers is the best part...congrats!
                                        McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2009

Spaceman,

I notice from your photo that the speakers are about twice the distance from you as they are from each other. When you were at the store did you listen in an equal triangle?

How do you intend to setup the 802Di?

As an owner of 804s I am very interested in this thread..

Congrats on your new purchase...
                                          Main System:
                                          B&W 801D
                                          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                          Oppo BDP-105
                                          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                          B&W CM7
                                          Emotiva UMC-1
                                          Emotiva UPA-2
                                          Oppo BDP-83SE
                                          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Rod#S
                                            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by garak
                                            I agree. They are hideously ugly. When I see them, I can't help but think of B9.

Now that's funny :rofl:
                                            B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• htsteve
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2004

SPACEMANRICK,

Congratulations. You will definitely enjoy that setup.

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                                • May 2005

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                                                Spaceman,

I notice from your photo that the speakers are about twice the distance from you as they are from each other. When you were at the store did you listen in an equal triangle?

How do you intend to setup the 802Di?

As an owner of 804s I am very interested in this thread..

Congrats on your new purchase...
                                                I just measured the placement of my current 804S speakers and the speakers are 75" apart from each other and I my listening spot is 96" from each speaker. So this is not a perfect triangle but I don't think a perfect triangle is something that I can work into our music room based on the other furniture that we have in there.

I did not measure the dealer's music listening room but it was also an elongated triangle. I estimate that the speakers were about 96" apart and I was probably about 120" from each speaker. The dealer's room was a classic rectangular room with some theater type leather seating but with no other acoustic treatments.

I have replaced the fabric sofas in the first picture with a thick 8' leather sofa and 2 leather armchairs. When the new system comes in I probably will have a similar placement for my speakers that I have now but I am considering putting some acoustic panels or thick fabric artwork on the wall that is 5 feet behind my listening spot. I will also probably move the leather armchair between the 2 speakers about 6" back towards the window to offer a little more open room between the 2 speakers.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
                                                Attached Files

Comment

• bigburner
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • May 2005

Needless to say, I put my deposit down today...

"Danger, SPACEMANRICK! Danger!"

[QUOTE]QUOTE]

Comment

• miner
                                                    • Mar 2005

Don't go "Dr Smith" on us.

Comment

• madmac
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2010

The best part about new speakers is the unboxing and first listen in your room!. Then, the endless fiddling of speaker placement to get the sound just right!. Gotta' love it!. Enjoy your new speakers !!.
                                                      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• mrciave
                                                        • Apr 2010

Congratulations!

From my experience, leave some space from side and back walls. I would say that the positioning you have in your latest picture is a good start point for the 802Di as well. You might enjoy some more "airy and open" sound by moving the sofa forward. I find it better to have my head far from the back wall.

That table in front of your sofa is scary for reflections, though... Move it further towards the speakers so that it does not cross the path tweeter to ears, unless you use it as a place to put your feet:-)
                                                        2ch Setup: Esoteric SA-50, Linn Sondek LP-12 with Lingo and Ittok, Benz Ace SL, Gryphon Diablo, B&W 802D, Kubala-Sosna Emotion XLR and Speaker, Purist Audio Dominus power cords with Oyaide C/P-004/046, Finite-Elemente Pagode Master Reference, Cerapuc, Cerabase, Bybees

Home Theater Setup: Panasonic P50VT50T Plasma, Oppo BDP-95 BD Player with digital optical to Esoteric

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Nov 2009

I just measured the placement of my current 804S speakers and the speakers are 75" apart from each other and I my listening spot is 96" from each speaker. So this is not a perfect triangle but I don't think a perfect triangle is something that I can work into our music room based on the other furniture that we have in there.

I did not measure the dealer's music listening room but it was also an elongated triangle. I estimate that the speakers were about 96" apart and I was probably about 120" from each speaker. The dealer's room was a classic rectangular room with some theater type leather seating but with no other acoustic treatments.

I have replaced the fabric sofas in the first picture with a thick 8' leather sofa and 2 leather armchairs. When the new system comes in I probably will have a similar placement for my speakers that I have now but I am considering putting some acoustic panels or thick fabric artwork on the wall that is 5 feet behind my listening spot. I will also probably move the leather armchair between the 2 speakers about 6" back towards the window to offer a little more open room between the 2 speakers.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
                                                          I think that photo must be an optical illusion because it looks like the speaker are really far away from the seat.. But then again the 804s also look stretched as well..

Normally I would never recommend this, but have you tried moving your speakers a little closer to the side walls (8" or so)? I have found with my 804s that if I sit in an elongated triangle I loose a fair bit of imaging. It looks like you have a fair bit of space between the walls and the speakers.

I know you will be getting your 802Di's so this is probably a moot point, but the same might be true of the 802 as well...
                                                          Main System:
                                                          B&W 801D
                                                          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                          Oppo BDP-105
                                                          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                          B&W CM7
                                                          Emotiva UMC-1
                                                          Emotiva UPA-2
                                                          Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• htsteve
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Sep 2004

SPACEMANRICK,

Did you have your dealer get the spikes as well? They are free, but the dealer needs to order them. They are reversible. They have spikes in one side. Flip it over, and it has a rubbery/teflon type bottom. They will work in your room regardless of surface.

They definitely help the soundstage and bass.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Rod#S
                                                              • Oct 2010

Well I went down again today to give the speakers and amps another listen. I wasn't rushed today and had the listening room to myself so I could get a better more relaxed impression of the system. I brought down my B&W ASW CM subwoofers to see how they sounded with the proposed new setup. I put on some REM, Crowded House, and U2 and I was blown away by the clarity, soundstage, and how tight everything sounded together. I swear that with the U2 song Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Bono was singing in the same room as I was sitting in ;x(

Needless to say, I put my deposit down today and the system should be here in about 2 weeks. Thanks everyone for all of their help and advice!
                                                              Congrats on the purchase. Looking forward to your in home impressions once they arrive. I will hopefully be ordering 802Di's within the next 2 months over on the oppostive side of the country, I'm in N.S. If they come as fast as my HTM2Di did last week you should have them in 1 week.

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                                                • May 2005

Originally posted by mrciave
                                                                Congratulations!

From my experience, leave some space from side and back walls. I would say that the positioning you have in your latest picture is a good start point for the 802Di as well. You might enjoy some more "airy and open" sound by moving the sofa forward. I find it better to have my head far from the back wall.

That table in front of your sofa is scary for reflections, though... Move it further towards the speakers so that it does not cross the path tweeter to ears, unless you use it as a place to put your feet:-)
                                                                You can't tell from the picture but there is actually an 8 foot high alcove that extends 5 feet behind my leather sofa so there is actually quite a bit of room behind the sofa.

I agree that table is a potential for acoustic reflection but for now I don't have a choice but to leave it there....

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                                                  • May 2005

SPACEMANRICK,

Did you have your dealer get the spikes as well? They are free, but the dealer needs to order them. They are reversible. They have spikes in one side. Flip it over, and it has a rubbery/teflon type bottom. They will work in your room regardless of surface.

They definitely help the soundstage and bass.

Hope this helps.
                                                                  Thanks for the tip, I incorrectly assumed that they would be automatically included so the dealer today has now ordered them for me :T

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2005

Originally posted by Rod#S
                                                                    Congrats on the purchase. Looking forward to your in home impressions once they arrive. I will hopefully be ordering 802Di's within the next 2 months over on the oppostive side of the country, I'm in N.S. If they come as fast as my HTM2Di did last week you should have them in 1 week.
                                                                    Unfortunately, I just got a call from the dealer and the 802DI's in cherry are on back order and are expected at the Buffalo warehouse from the factory in early April so I expect now that they should be here in Vancouver around the middle of April :cry:

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2005

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                                                                      I think that photo must be an optical illusion because it looks like the speaker are really far away from the seat.. But then again the 804s also look stretched as well..

Normally I would never recommend this, but have you tried moving your speakers a little closer to the side walls (8" or so)? I have found with my 804s that if I sit in an elongated triangle I loose a fair bit of imaging. It looks like you have a fair bit of space between the walls and the speakers.

I know you will be getting your 802Di's so this is probably a moot point, but the same might be true of the 802 as well...
                                                                      I now have my leather chair to the left of the front left speaker so if I move the speaker closer to the wall the chair will block the left speaker......I will see how it all pans out when the speakers arrive next month.

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2008

Congratz Spacey...I will warn you that the 802Di is a power pig. While the CA-5200 drove them well and sounds great, I found that they were even better now that they're being driven by CA-M400. It's not that it is louder but the sound seems more relaxed and the headroom increased. I'll be trying a bi-amp (400W woofer and 200W midrange-tweeter) as soon as my cables arrive.

You're going to love them!

Cheers,
                                                                        -Hedwig
                                                                        Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                                                                        Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                                                                        B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                                                                        Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                                                                        Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2005

Hi everyone, I just thought I would give a brief update.

I ordered the 802DI speakers in Cherry in the middle of February and as of this week they are still on back order with no confirmation yet for the day they are supposed to arrive at the Buffalo B&W distribution centre. My dealer is anticipating that they hopefully will arrive in Vancouver by the end of March but we will have to wait and see. My dealer has indicated that B&W will be shipping out first a shipment of 802DI's in piano black with the Cherry hopefully soon to follow that shipment.

I did however pick up the Cambridge 840W 200 watt amplifier and 840E preamplifier last week. As some of the posters have indicated, I have noticed a definite improvement in sound from my previous Denon 3805 AV 125 watt receiver. Most noticeable is the improved bass response with a more warm full sound and more punch to the music. Also a noticeable improvement with the Cambridge compared to the Denon is when the volume is turned up the music seems less strained and more smooth with more room for sudden changes in the music. All in all, just with the change in amplifiers there has been a noticeable improvement in the music I am listening to!........Unfortunately, I will have to wait for a little while longer before I can report on the improvement in sound from my current 804S to the 802DI :cry:

Comment

• scanido
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Apr 2006
                                                                            • 548

Hi everyone, I just thought I would give a brief update.

I ordered the 802DI speakers in Cherry in the middle of February and as of this week they are still on back order with no confirmation yet for the day they are supposed to arrive at the Buffalo B&W distribution centre. My dealer is anticipating that they hopefully will arrive in Vancouver by the end of March but we will have to wait and see. My dealer has indicated that B&W will be shipping out first a shipment of 802DI's in piano black with the Cherry hopefully soon to follow that shipment.

I did however pick up the Cambridge 840W 200 watt amplifier and 840E preamplifier last week. As some of the posters have indicated, I have noticed a definite improvement in sound from my previous Denon 3805 AV 125 watt receiver. Most noticeable is the improved bass response with a more warm full sound and more punch to the music. Also a noticeable improvement with the Cambridge compared to the Denon is when the volume is turned up the music seems less strained and more smooth with more room for sudden changes in the music. All in all, just with the change in amplifiers there has been a noticeable improvement in the music I am listening to!........Unfortunately, I will have to wait for a little while longer before I can report on the improvement in sound from my current 804S to the 802DI :cry:
                                                                            Hang in there the wait will pay off in spades. I made an almost similar leap from an 803S to 802 Diamond and the difference the marlan head and new diamond tweeter make are amazing! :E

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2005
                                                                              • 200

#39
                                                                              I have been listening to my 804S speakers and my Cambridge 840W amplifier and Cambridge 840E preamplifier for the past 10 days and I am getting more and more impressed with the improvement in sound from my old Denon 3805 AV receiver. After knowing the sound from 5 years of listening to my Denon 3805 with the 804 speakers in my living room all I can say is WOW those 804S speakers rock with these Cambridge amps! At anything past medium volume everything has subtly but noticeably been improved especially the smoothness of the music, improved dynamic range clarity, and the fullness of the bass.

I remember posting a question on here a few years ago questioning if it was worth it to upgrade my Denon 3805 to a dedicated amp and preamp. If only I knew back then what I know now! I am still waiting for my 802DI speakers and have a deposit down on them but I am half seriously thinking now do I still even need to upgrade the 804S speakers. I hope (and know) there will be even more of an improvement with the change from the 804S to the 802DI speakers but if I knew 4 weeks ago what difference I would I hear just with the change in amps I am not sure if I would have just saved the money and not put the deposit down on the 802DI speakers last month...... I know that is blasphemy on a B&W forum but I am that impressed with the 804S speakers with these amps!

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2005
                                                                                • 2649

#40
                                                                                I have been listening to my 804S speakers and my Cambridge 840W amplifier and Cambridge 840E preamplifier for the past 10 days and I am getting more and more impressed with the improvement in sound from my old Denon 3805 AV receiver. After knowing the sound from 5 years of listening to my Denon 3805 with the 804 speakers in my living room all I can say is WOW those 804S speakers rock with these Cambridge amps! At anything past medium volume everything has subtly but noticeably been improved especially the smoothness of the music, improved dynamic range clarity, and the fullness of the bass.
                                                                                Check out these posts from members whose opinions I value:

Mark NZ here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...Cambridge+840W and here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...904#post519904

JonMarsh here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...Cambridge+840W

I think you've done very well!

Nigel.

Comment

• htsteve
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2004
                                                                                  • 1216

#41
                                                                                  SPACEMANRICK,

I'm not surprised at your positive reaction to going separates with your 804S's. I remember that reaction when I did that.

I love the 804S speakers. Very good speakers, especially when given good electronics, as you have done. Having said that, the are NOT 802Di's. I have 802D's, and these are significantly better than the 804 level speaker. All aspects are better. They sound HUGE in a relatively small room. Great bass response and detail.

If you have an opportunity to get a pair, I would heartily recommend it. I listen to ALOT more 2 channel music after getting these.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Nov 2009
                                                                                    • 1241

#42

I remember posting a question on here a few years ago questioning if it was worth it to upgrade my Denon 3805 to a dedicated amp and preamp. If only I knew back then what I know now! I am still waiting for my 802DI speakers and have a deposit down on them but I am half seriously thinking now do I still even need to upgrade the 804S speakers. I hope (and know) there will be even more of an improvement with the change from the 804S to the 802DI speakers but if I knew 4 weeks ago what difference I would I hear just with the change in amps I am not sure if I would have just saved the money and not put the deposit down on the 802DI speakers last month...... I know that is blasphemy on a B&W forum but I am that impressed with the 804S speakers with these amps!
                                                                                    Agreed... I remember back when I was auditioning amps and I compared my 683 with a Chord Amp (which I bought) vs. the 804s with a Rotel Reciever.

At that point I would have taken the 683 with the Chord over the 804s with the reciever. Of course when I put the Chord on the 804s... WOW... And so my money jumped out of my wallet again...
                                                                                    Main System:
                                                                                    B&W 801D
                                                                                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                                    Oppo BDP-105
                                                                                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                                    B&W CM7
                                                                                    Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                                    Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• style
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2006
                                                                                      • 1562

#43
                                                                                      @SPACEMANRICK,

Today the 802Diamont are be delivered at my home :P :W

I need the time tio open the big box and gooo.

delivery time? 4 works day!!! Great service.

Style

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Nov 2009
                                                                                        • 1241

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by style
                                                                                        @SPACEMANRICK,

Style
                                                                                        Now thats not a nice thing to do to the guy....
                                                                                        Main System:
                                                                                        B&W 801D
                                                                                        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                                        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                                        Oppo BDP-105
                                                                                        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                                        B&W CM7
                                                                                        Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                                        Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                                        Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                                        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Rod#S
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2010
                                                                                          • 474

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by style
                                                                                          @SPACEMANRICK,

Style
                                                                                          Congrats style! That was very quick indeed. Post some pics and impressions ASAP :B

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"