X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikael
    • Aug 2007

CM8 - I like it

I was out today at my local B&W store which doesn't carry Rotel only NAD, so it was on nad that I did an AB test of the CM8 & CM9. IMO the CM 8 was the most naturel and warm sounding of the two in the midrange and treble, and had a very fast and agile bass, in fact it sounded more pounding and if it went lower down than the CM 9, I know the CM 9 has a fuller bass but it also clutter up the upper bass and lower midrange a bit too fat sounding. and the midrange is a bit to open and analytic, for my taste. So all in all if the CM 8 sounds fab. on my Rotel when I can try it at home in the new year, the CM 8 could very well be my new speaker. just my 2 cents.
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

I was at my B&W dealership yesterday also, to test out some preamps and DACs. They also had a pair of CM8 on display. They are much smaller then I expected. I think they are even smaller then my CM7. Good looking speaker for sure.

The owner of the store who I deal with indicated that he preferred the CM8 to the CM7 as it is slightly more transparent (I assume due to the smaller cabinet, which appeares quite solid). Also the bass is a little tighter too. I did not have a listen as I didn't have time. I also don't know how it compares to the CM9.

Considering the CM8 is around the same cost as the CM7, it seems like a nice improvement from B&W.
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• BdoUK
      • Sep 2007

Mikael,

Thanks for the great impressions of the CM8.

Would a CMC or CMC2 pair better with these speakers? I've had my eyes on the CM9s for a long time, but now I'm wondering if it might be better to just go with the slimmer CM8s and save some cash.

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

BdoUK,

The CMC2 is definately the better speaker, and will certainly be a better match to CM7, CM8 and CM9 since is shares the FST midrange. Also because it has vertical alignment for the tweeter/midrange it should have better off axis performance. I think this last point is the most important.

If center channel performance is important for you (movies, multichannel music etc.) I would definately spend the extra on the CMC2.
        Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Mikael
          • Aug 2007

BdoUK

Or better yet go for 3 CM 8 in the front they are not to high. so you could place one below your tv or screen. That would be the perfect solution.

Comment

• stuofsci02
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Mikael
            BdoUK

Or better yet go for 3 CM 8 in the front they are not to high. so you could place one below your tv or screen. That would be the perfect solution.
            Always the best option for sure...
            Main System:
            B&W 801D
            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
            Oppo BDP-105
            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
            B&W CM7
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Emotiva UPA-2
            Oppo BDP-83SE
            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• BdoUK
              • Sep 2007

Thanks for the responses guys.

Based on my living room setup the 3 CM8 isn't an option. I'll make sure I go with the CMC2 however when I finally take the plunge .

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"