Can anybody confirm that a CM8 is coming?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikael
    • Aug 2007

Can anybody confirm that a CM8 is coming?

I was at my local dealer to hear the CM7 and CM9, and the salesman told me that there will soon be a CM8 in the line with 2 5" woofer a 5" fst and the same treble as the CM7 and CM9. Anybody who can confirm this and maybe supply us with a picture
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

Hallo Mikael,

I dont think that the CM serie have place for a extra CM8!!

with the CM5 B&W have covered the piece from the CM1 and CM7....

with a new CM8 the most popular CM9 winner of lot of award gooooo down!!!

I go have bew from my friend from B&W/Classe Switzerland (over the CM and the new Delta amplifier time of delivery in europa...)

greetings Style

Comment

• BWzes03
      • Oct 2005

Well, they updated the XT series, with a XT8 and the removal of the XT4 from the range, so why not ?

Comment

• Mikael
        • Aug 2007

It's true with a new CM 8, I just got this mail from B&W.

Hi Mikael,

I am glad to hear that you are considering to purchase model from our CM series!

It is correct that we will release a new model named CM8. Exact release date is still uncertain. My best guess is that it will be available in two or three months time - but this might change.

The new model will look like a slimmed-down version of the CM9 - using 5-inch midrange and bass units (two) instead of the 6-inch in the bigger model.

The CM8 will sound like a CM9 - but with some natural limitation in deep bass and bass dynamics compared to the bigger model.
        If you prefer how the CM7 reproduces midrange then maybe you should consider purchasing this model as the new one will sound more like the CM9.

Please remember that bass reproduction is heavily dependent on room acoustics, and the CM7s capabilities in this respect might suit your particular room better than when using the CM9s (which needs a fairly large room to breathe...)

I hope this can be of help when choosing your new speaker!

Best regards,
        Ole-Vidar

Comment

• pastadude
          • Sep 2010

Saw them with my own 2 eyes in Best Buy. I work for a Magnolia store in Westbury NY, have seen the CM8s and will be personally setting them up on Thursday. They are coming, and Best Buy carries them (just signed up cause I could not be more happy to be a MHT employee right now, just for the B&W factor.)

P.S. we are also the first non Magnolia AV store in the company to be getting NuVision as confirmed tonight.

Comment

• mb225
            • Jan 2009

I just went to my local Best Buy, which has a very small Magnolia in it, and they had the new CM8s setup on the showcase TV (AKA the TV used to pull you into the Magnolia section).

I was shocked to see the CM8's on display before they are even on the B&W website? And to see them at a Best Buy first!!?? That was really shocking!

The CM8s look great! I didn't listen to them but they basically look like a CM9 that was left in the dryer for too long.

The BB/Magnolia had just about every B&W speaker in the 600 and CM lineup. They had demos of 683, 684, 685, 686, HTM61, HTM62, CM9, CM8, CM5. It made me feel really bad for my local dealer. They already fight with the big chains and it made me think that it will not be long before they can't compete anymore. I used to have 3 B&W dealers within about 40 miles of my house. One of them closed a few months ago, the other is running in a mode that looks like they filed for bankruptcy (nothing on display) and the only one left isn't getting to many demo speakers anymore. Well the times they are a-changin'.
            Last edited by mb225; 08 October 2010, 10:01 Friday.

Comment

• beden1
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2006

I just went to the Best Buy web site and they have all of the speakers you mentioned listed. I bet they also have them in stock as well.

I spoke with my local dealer and they have speakers on display, but you need to order to buy. They did say it will take about a week for delivery, but still, I think they should have 805Ds and 804Ds in-stock at any rate! I know they used to, with the larger speakers being mostly orders only.

Comment

• emig5m
                • Aug 2008

I wonder if they're going to sound like crap in Best Buys display rooms just like the rest of their systems. Every time I go into a store like Best Buy with their Magnolia sections I can't help but notice how inside the box, muffled, muddy, etc. the sound is in comparison to my own system... :E It's rare I walk into an audio store and actually hear good sound.... My local B&W dealer was one of the top two for in store sound quality...

Comment

• beden1
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006

I went into a Best Buy/Magnolia department today and could not believe my eyes. They had a full compliment of B&W speakers (sans 800 Series), and I saw the following: The CM9s were marked CM8 and visa versa; a pair of CM8s had the grills removed and the tweeters were pushed in on both; the magnetic grills fall off with a very light touch and fall to the ground; the piano black just looks cheap (not to offend anyone) but they do. They look like they are made in China, with any sense of craftsmanship thrown out with the bath water!

I did not listen to them, so i can't comment on how they sound.

The other thing that turned me off, was that this department had about 12 pairs of speakers marked down on clearance, and cluttering the entrance to the department without any semblance of order. I guess they were trying to make room for their new lines of B&W speakers, but at least they could have displayed them out in the main store, or organized them properly so they didn't just look like junk.

Comment

• Aiden
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by beden1
                    I went into a Best Buy/Magnolia department today and could not believe my eyes. They had a full compliment of B&W speakers (sans 800 Series), and I saw the following: The CM9s were marked CM8 and visa versa; a pair of CM8s had the grills removed and the tweeters were pushed in on both; the magnetic grills fall off with a very light touch and fall to the ground; the piano black just looks cheap (not to offend anyone) but they do. They look like they are made in China, with any sense of craftsmanship thrown out with the bath water!

I did not listen to them, so i can't comment on how they sound.

The other thing that turned me off, was that this department had about 12 pairs of speakers marked down on clearance, and cluttering the entrance to the department without any semblance of order. I guess they were trying to make room for their new lines of B&W speakers, but at least they could have displayed them out in the main store, or organized them properly so they didn't just look like junk.
                    The fit and finish on the CM line has always been that way. They are in fact made in China. This is readily apparent when you look at the piano black Viennas.

As far as the sound, the 800 series is a BIG upgrade. I know B&W prides itself on trickling down their technology, but I do not hear it when I listen to the CM line. They do have very good imaging and soundstage but lack refinement in comparison to the offerings from some of the other manufacturers.

As far look, feel and everything else, my local MHT actually has very knowledgeable sales (actually only two sales guys in that MHT) associates (more so than the two local HiFi shops close to me who speaker gibberish and make stuff up) and keep everything looking sharp. It almost looks like your in someone's house. Only speaker that had a pushed in tweeter was an older Mirage speaker that they had on clearance for cheap.

Beden, which MHT did you visit?

Comment

• beden1
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Aiden
                      The fit and finish on the CM line has always been that way. They are in fact made in China. This is readily apparent when you look at the piano black Viennas.

As far as the sound, the 800 series is a BIG upgrade. I know B&W prides itself on trickling down their technology, but I do not hear it when I listen to the CM line. They do have very good imaging and soundstage but lack refinement in comparison to the offerings from some of the other manufacturers.

As far look, feel and everything else, my local MHT actually has very knowledgeable sales (actually only two sales guys in that MHT) associates (more so than the two local HiFi shops close to me who speaker gibberish and make stuff up) and keep everything looking sharp. It almost looks like your in someone's house. Only speaker that had a pushed in tweeter was an older Mirage speaker that they had on clearance for cheap.

Beden, which MHT did you visit?
                      The one in Delaware across the line from PA.

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

...the piano black just looks cheap (not to offend anyone) but they do. They look like they are made in China, with any sense of craftsmanship thrown out with the bath water!
                        None taken, but lets be honest there is nothing cheesier than black painted wood grain (aka black ash) and vinyl veneers. Done right there is nothing better than a piano black finish. Deep, liquid and rich - ooh yeah baby.
                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• beden1
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                          None taken, but lets be honest there is nothing cheesier than black painted wood grain (aka black ash) and vinyl veneers. Done right there is nothing better than a piano black finish. Deep, liquid and rich - ooh yeah baby.
                          Possibly, but I didn't see any "deep, liquid and rich" finish with the B&W piano black, so I guess they didn't do it right. On the examples that I saw, it looks more like it was wrapped in a black vinyl veneer! 8O

Comment

• Industrial
                            • Mar 2009

Not always, I have a pair of CM1's that were made England. The fit and finish is really nice, I really wish they had continued this series in England. I wanted to get the CM9 if they were still made there. As I just don't have the money at the moment (new home, dependents etc...) to get into the 800 series. Now I'm looking for a decent set of speakers in the price range of the CM9's but made somewhere a little more reputable.

Comment

• btf1980
                              • Aug 2007

This is starting to get silly. There is nothing wrong with the fit & finish of the CM series. I've had several models that were made in England (CM1, CM7, CMC) before they moved production to China. Absolutely no difference in the finish since the change. The finish didn't all of a sudden deteriorate because it's assembled in China now. Nothing changed.

A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by btf1980
                                This is starting to get silly. There is nothing wrong with the fit & finish of the CM series.
                                I agree. I think some people's bias is clouding their judgment. That said, I have seen some cases where QA was not quite at the level it should be even with the top of the line 800 Series. Spend enough time on any speaker and you are bound to find a flaw or two, nothing is absolutely perfect.

People need to reasonably put things into perspective when evaluating speaker finishes in public view. Abrasions, scratches, finger prints, smudges and dust can instantly ruin a dark finish under light. To maintain that beautiful color takes effort and care which you are not gonna get in a public setting. Finer finishes are not for people that don't give a hoot. It takes a lot of work to get a piano black finish right and nothing can touch it when it is. Nothing. This is true for the audio world as much as it is for the automotive world.

Comment

• beden1
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2006

I agree. I think some people's bias is clouding their judgment. That said, I have seen some cases where QA was not quite at the level it should be even with the top of the line 800 Series. Spend enough time on any speaker and you are bound to find a flaw or two, nothing is absolutely perfect.

People need to reasonably put things into perspective when evaluating speaker finishes in public view. Abrasions, scratches, finger prints, smudges and dust can instantly ruin a dark finish under light. To maintain that beautiful color takes effort and care which you are not gonna get in a public setting. Finer finishes are not for people that don't give a hoot. It takes a lot of work to get a piano black finish right and nothing can touch when it is. Nothing. This is true for the audio world as much as it is for the automotive world.
                                  You forgot to include the in your opinion disclosure, (IMO)!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

You forgot to include the in your opinion disclosure, (IMO)!
                                    There are standards set by respective industries. My opinion would be if I agree with it or not. I have an opinion on exotic super cars too but that doesn't change the standards of what an exotic super car is.

Comment

• beden1
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2006

There are standards set by respective industries. My opinion would be if I agree with it or not. I have an opinion on exotic super cars too but that doesn't change the standards of what an exotic super car is.
                                      That still does not make it a fact or gospel! Standards are set by industries which are either supported by their customers or not. If their standards are not met with acceptance, then those "standards" are changed.

I didn't know there was a standard for an exotic car? Exotic means "strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual"

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

That still does not make it a fact or gospel! Standards are set by industries which are either supported by their customers or not. If their standards are not met with acceptance, then those "standards" are changed.

I didn't know there was a standard for an exotic car? Exotic means "strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual"
                                        Some standards are de facto too. :B

As for the exotic's 200+ mph sets the standard. By that definition any car made to go that fast should be called an SC but who do you think you're kidding if you do. That would be just your opinion.

Comment

• Aiden
                                          • Feb 2010

All I know is that I have never seen a CM in piano black that didn't have buff marks or some form of imperfection. This includes many of them fresh out the box.

Comment

• beden1
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2006

Some standards are de facto too. :B

As for the exotic's 200+ mph sets the standard. By that definition any car made to go that fast should be called an SC but who do you think you're kidding if you do. That would be just your opinion.
                                            Like my ZO6, but I'm too chicken to push her up to that speed. :driver:

It's always a pleasure to interact with you. I'm glad to see you back! :T

Comment

• RebelMan
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

All I know is that I have never seen a CM in piano black that didn't have buff marks or some form of imperfection. This includes many of them fresh out the box.
                                              If you look hard enough at a Marlan head you'll find them buried deep in there too.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

Like my ZO6, but I'm too chicken to push her up to that speed. :driver:
                                                I hear you. Even with the mods I am planning for my Stang I wouldn't dare.

It's always a pleasure to interact with you. I'm glad to see you back! :T
                                                Likewise. :P

Comment

• beden1
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Oct 2006

I hear you. Even with the mods I am planning for my Stang I wouldn't dare.
                                                  Likewise. :P
                                                  So, that's where you've been...out running around creating havoc on the roads?

Be careful with the mods fever. I got caught up with that on my last Vette and wished I left everything alone when it was all said and done.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2005

So, that's where you've been...out running around creating havoc on the roads?
                                                    Guilty as charged. :driver:

Be careful with the mods fever. I got caught up with that on my last Vette and wished I left everything alone when it was all said and done.
                                                    I'm being very, very careful not to make any hasty decisions, practically dragging my feet. The key word was planning. :W

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Nov 2004

ha ha ha! The need for speed... it's never enough.
                                                      Back then, I use to say 300rwhp was enough for me... then it became 350... then 400... it never seemed to stop. ha ha
                                                      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• dan87951
                                                        • Nov 2005

B&W's at a best buy store? Wow even B&W is caving in... speakers made in china now big box stores are caring them? wow im slowly loosing respect for this company! What's next Wal-Mart?
                                                        dan87951
                                                        audio guru

Comment

• Aiden
                                                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by dan87951
                                                          B&W's at a best buy store? Wow even B&W is caving in... speakers made in china now big box stores are caring them? wow im slowly loosing respect for this company! What's next Wal-Mart?
                                                          Not Best Buy, Magnolia Audio Video/Home Theater

Comment

• BWLover
                                                            • Jan 2009

Not Best Buy, Magnolia Audio Video/Home Theater
                                                            There pretty much still in a Best Buy. You ask someone where they got there 683's and 9 out of 10 will say Best Buy. Not Mognolia.
                                                            Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                                                            Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                                                            Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                                                            Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                                            Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                                                            Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                                                            Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                                                            Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                                                            Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                                                            Playstation 3
                                                            Shaw HD PVR
                                                            Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• Hammie
                                                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by BWLover
                                                              There pretty much still in a Best Buy. You ask someone where they got there 683's and 9 out of 10 will say Best Buy. Not Mognolia.
                                                              My local BB/Mag store has the CM9's on display. I cannot remember what they have powereing them, but I wanted them to move the Pro-Ject Debut III from their Def Tech setup to the B&W to hear them, but of course the person working had no idea how to disconnect the TT and I doubt they would have been able to hook it back up.
                                                              Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                                                              Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                                                              Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                                                              Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                                                              B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                                                              Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                                                              My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                                                              Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• BWLover
                                                                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Hammie
                                                                My local BB/Mag store has the CM9's on display. I cannot remember what they have powereing them, but I wanted them to move the Pro-Ject Debut III from their Def Tech setup to the B&W to hear them, but of course the person working had no idea how to disconnect the TT and I doubt they would have been able to hook it back up.
                                                                I personally think its quite sad. It's always been nice when B&W speakers were in conversation with friends that I would have to explain the difference between consumer electronics and the hi end market. And how a person would need to seek out a private dealer in order to hear/demo the hi end market brands such and B&W/Classe/Rotel. But seriously Best Buy. COME ON!!!

I remember working for a hi end dealer when I was in high school in 1999. At that time klipsch (as far as I knew) were a "hi end" private dealer brand of speakers. Now there everywhere. London Drugs, Best Buy, Future Shop. I really hope B&W does not go down that road.

But I do understand that B&W might have had to go down to BB because of money issues. Who knows. Still. Its sad to see a brand so prestigious as B&W in bb.
                                                                Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                                                                Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                                                                Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                                                                Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                                                Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                                                                Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                                                                Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                                                                Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                                                                Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                                                                Playstation 3
                                                                Shaw HD PVR
                                                                Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• Aiden
                                                                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by BWLover
                                                                  I personally think its quite sad. It's always been nice when B&W speakers were in conversation with friends that I would have to explain the difference between consumer electronics and the hi end market. And how a person would need to seek out a private dealer in order to hear/demo the hi end market brands such and B&W/Classe/Rotel. But seriously Best Buy. COME ON!!!

I remember working for a hi end dealer when I was in high school in 1999. At that time klipsch (as far as I knew) were a "hi end" private dealer brand of speakers. Now there everywhere. London Drugs, Best Buy, Future Shop. I really hope B&W does not go down that road.

But I do understand that B&W might have had to go down to BB because of money issues. Who knows. Still. Its sad to see a brand so prestigious as B&W in bb.

I personally don't see why B&W wouldn't be considered "High end" anymore. To me, high end doesn't mean expensive (since expensive has a different meaning to everyone) but a product that delivers performance in a league that separates it from its competition. B&W did not gain he reputation they have just because they were an exclusive brand, but because they decided they were put every last penny they made back into improving their speakers through R&D. That philosophy has clearly proven successful.

Case in point, I nearly purchased VA speakers from MHT/BB but SF just delivered everything the VA did and MUCH MUCH more (as they should considering the price difference). I could care less what people think just because of where I bought my speakers. I buy them for their sound, not just to be "better".

Now, if they start cutting deals on the floor as if they were Walmart, that would be a whole other story.

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Jun 2004

Years ago B&W would not sell to just anyone. They would not go into large chain stores due to the supply demand. Now times have changed and "special" isn't in the cards anymore.

Sad

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"