X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonkk
    • Jan 2010

A few questions on HTM2, the rears and the sub

Would really appreciate your ideas!

1. Is it a good idea to drive my 802D's with Classe amp while driving HTM2 and the rears with, say, Onkyo 3007 receiver (160Wt at 8 Ohm, 270 at 4 Ohm, 320 at 3 Ohm)? I'm not ready to shell out ten grand or something for multichanel power amp yet as well as similair money for Hi End processor given that I'm more willing to spend $ on stereo set up at the moment. Will the sound difference between the fronts and the center/rears stick out like a sore thumb or not?

2. What are the (hopefully cheaper) alternatives to 805's as the rears given that I can't really given them much space from the wall, maybe 35 cm maximum? The distance from the rears to the ears will also be not big, approx 1 meter.

3. What is the good sub to use in this system given that the room if fairily large (open space 50 sq.m) but I don't have much space for a huge one? Musicality for me is more inmportant than brutal special effects power.
  • Antonkk
    • Jan 2010

To specify the second and third question:

Is CM5 a good alternative to 805 given that the distance from the wall is no more than 35 cm?

Can I get away with ASW10CM or do I need DB1?

Comment

• Antonkk
      • Jan 2010

Anyone?

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Your questions are difficult in that what might be acceptable to some might not be to others..

You can certainly power the centers and rears from the reciever. I am doing this with my NAD reciever. Is there a difference? Sure.. Especially since my rears are Tannoys and my mains 804s. But since I use multichannel for movies mostly, I do not find it to be a huge deal. It is something I intend to change at some point. If you are listening to multichannel music the difference may be huge.

Again, an appropriate set of rears will depend on what you use them for.

I always suggest two subs over one. The JL F12 seems to be a popular choice, but I do not have them. I would suggest a sealed sub if music is the priority.

Cheers!
        Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Here's my take on question 2. In a multi-channel setup, my speaker listing in order of preference is:

1. Centre channel speaker: This is used for vocals and this is the reason that I prefer it to be exactly the same as L & R speaker.

2. L & R fronts.

3. Sub.

4. Surrounds.

I also prefer all speakers to be as closely matched as possible to eliminate mis-match distractions such as tonal differences, etc.

If I was faced with any limitations then I would rather live without surrounds until such time as I could acquire speakers that adequately match my fronts. This is simply my personal preference.

Hope that this helps.

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Antonkk,

Here are some quick thoughts:

* I believe there will be a pretty big difference between a stereo amp like Classe and the Denon. If you are mainly focused on 2 channel, then you maybe can live with this for a while. If you will do a fair amount of HT/multi channel listening, then it would be better to consider a dedicated amp for all the channels. Simply much better synergy.

* The CM5's would be pretty nice rears. I had 705's as rears with 800 series up front for awhile (also in a tight space like you have). They worked quite well together. The 700 series is discontinued, and the CM line is likely the closest thing to the 800 series.

* I have a JL Audio F112. Great sub. Very musical. It would be less expensive than the DB1. There is also the F113 (13.5 inch driver). That might work in your room. And the size is quite nice. Does not take up alot of space.

* Consider a multichannel amp from Rotel. That could work very nicely. Nice bang for the buck. Much less than the Classe's and Mac's of the world.
            Also, consider a used Classe or Mac 5 channel amp. This would be excellent and not be super expensive. I have a Mac MC205 (200 wpc X 5) that ran 802D's, HTM2D and 804S's (I've since added a stereo amp to the 802D's). It did a very good job. Smooth, depth, soundstage were superb. For now, you can use the Denon as a pre-amp and later upgrade it to a pre-amp.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• aarsoe
              • May 2004

You could go with a phantom center speaker. That Will make it match your fronts precisely. Only downside is anyone sitting really off-angle will not like it.

Comment

• Antonkk
                • Jan 2010

Thanx folks! What about Onkyo 5007 receiver? Did anyone try it with B&Ws? It delivers 180 Watt at 8 Ohms, 260 Watt at 4 Ohm and 320 Watt at 3 Ohms plus it can be internally biamped using 2 of it's 9 chanels for each front speaker (as a temporary solution until I get a stereo power amp or monos for the 802's). And it costs only $3000.

Comment

• Antonkk
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by htsteve
                  Antonkk,

Here are some quick thoughts:

* I believe there will be a pretty big difference between a stereo amp like Classe and the Denon. If you are mainly focused on 2 channel, then you maybe can live with this for a while. If you will do a fair amount of HT/multi channel listening, then it would be better to consider a dedicated amp for all the channels. Simply much better synergy.

* The CM5's would be pretty nice rears. I had 705's as rears with 800 series up front for awhile (also in a tight space like you have). They worked quite well together. The 700 series is discontinued, and the CM line is likely the closest thing to the 800 series.

* I have a JL Audio F112. Great sub. Very musical. It would be less expensive than the DB1. There is also the F113 (13.5 inch driver). That might work in your room. And the size is quite nice. Does not take up alot of space.

* Consider a multichannel amp from Rotel. That could work very nicely. Nice bang for the buck. Much less than the Classe's and Mac's of the world.
                  Also, consider a used Classe or Mac 5 channel amp. This would be excellent and not be super expensive. I have a Mac MC205 (200 wpc X 5) that ran 802D's, HTM2D and 804S's (I've since added a stereo amp to the 802D's). It did a very good job. Smooth, depth, soundstage were superb. For now, you can use the Denon as a pre-amp and later upgrade it to a pre-amp.

Hope this helps.

Htsteve, I'm thinking about going Classe for the stereo set up (probably 700 pre and 2300 power amp) but for the center and the rears I can settle with the receiver for now. Of course I understand that better synery can only be achieved by using the same brand power amps for all the chanels. Unfortunately Classe's multichanel amps cost at least 10 grand and that's an overkill for me.

I'll check the JL Audio sub. Is it just me or are B&W subs not highly regarded here? I thought they are supposed to have perfect synergy with B&W speakers?

Comment

• stuofsci02
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2009

I thought you already had the Onkyo reciever...

If I was in your position and needed something I would get a Pre/Pro (maybe rotel etc.) and get a Emotiva XPA-5.

That should tie you over better then the Onkyo until you can get what you want. It will also be cheaper..
                    Main System:
                    B&W 801D
                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                    Oppo BDP-105
                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                    B&W CM7
                    Emotiva UMC-1
                    Emotiva UPA-2
                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• htsteve
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Antonkk
                      Htsteve, I'm thinking about going Classe for the stereo set up (probably 700 pre and 2300 power amp) but for the center and the rears I can settle with the receiver for now. Of course I understand that better synery can only be achieved by using the same brand power amps for all the chanels. Unfortunately Classe's multichanel amps cost at least 10 grand and that's an overkill for me.

I'll check the JL Audio sub. Is it just me or are B&W subs not highly regarded here? I thought they are supposed to have perfect synergy with B&W speakers?

The Classe combo will be quite nice. Definitely be a very good 2 channel system. Your 802D's will definitely show what they are capable of.

Bummer that multi channel amps cost so much where you are.

As for B&W subs, I like them. They are very nice performers. It's simply been my experience that other brands (I've had M&K, Martin Logan, Velodyne and now the JL Audio) offer better performance for the money.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"