Want to replace HTM2 and 805 with HTM1 and ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carter
    • Oct 2004

Want to replace HTM2 and 805 with HTM1 and ?

I want to replace my HTM2 with a HTM1 but I am broke. I have 803's in the front. 805's in the rear. I am considering selling the HTM2 and 805's and putting the money toward a HTM1 and something to replace the rears. I hate to get rid of the 805's but I feel that the HTM1 would bring my system to life and balance out the front better. My questions are as follows:

1. Am I crazy to do this?
    2. Would I get enough money selling to even do it?
    3. What would I get for rears?

I am using a Rotel RMB-1075 for all 5 speakers. Thanks for any help and ideas.

Carter
  • jlee
    • Aug 2004

1. No, for HT, you want the best center channel possible. The HTM2 with 803 is the weak link in the front.
    2. Try trading it to your dealer to see if they will give you full or close to full value.
    3. Get SCM1... or if money is an issue, the 705. The 705 will have excellent resale value down the road.

Comment

• gostan
      • May 2003

Carter:

The HTM! is a simlply marvelous center channel and would be the correct match for your 803's. Why not keep the 805's and think about upgrading the 1075 amp (which in my opinion does not do justice to the 803's.

When I added my Aragon 8008 to run my older CDM7's (later replaced with 803's)...I was amazed at the headroom and sound changes added by this simple change. I am still considering a way to replace my 1075 (which runs my HTM1 and rears and second zone) as I think that the HTM1 would sound better. This would be a better option for you if you have the cash.

Stan
      Stan

Comment

• BlazeMaster
        • May 2004

The HTM1 w/ 803s that I heard briefly at my local dealer just sounded amazing. They had a pair of SCM1 wall-mounted on the rear wall though. I think they should of had it on the side walls near the rear wall instead. Since you had 805s as rears, I assume you need something that goes on stands instead. Have you heard the 705s? The 705 are very capable speakers even for stereo listening, so I'm sure it would have no problem as a surrounds. Good luck.

Comment

• Carter
          • Oct 2004

Thanks for the replies. I have to do this with no money. I am dependant on the money I get selling the 805's and HTM2.

I have not heard the 705. Both the 705 and SCM1 will cost too much. Any ideas for something in a lower price range?

I am asking my dealer what they will give me for trade in.

I want to replace my amp but since money is an issue that will have to wait.

I don't have to have the rears on stands. A full tower would work as well.

Carter

Comment

• jlee
            • Aug 2004

Anything less than 705 in the rear and you might as well keep the HTM2 and 805... if you have no money, don't upgrade. There's nothing wrong with what you have now. The HTM2 is still one of the best center speakers in the world. Be happy with what you got. In hindsight, to have better balance, what you should have probably done is get the 804's and use the $1500 saved to get the HTM1... but hindsight is 20/20 so I would just hold off for now.

Comment

• Carter
              • Oct 2004

What the dealer offered for mine was a joke. But he did say that the 603's or 602's would be fine for the rear. I don't want to loose my 805's but the HTM2 is driving me crazy.

In hindsight I would have done a lot different. I like my system but I have learned a lot and my taste have grown. I am helping a friend pick out about $30K in equipment for a dedicatied theather and it's got me wanting to improve on mine.

Carter

Comment

• Lewing
                • Oct 2004

I would defnintely keep the current system if i were you and i definitely want to keep the N805 no matter what unless i need the money for food. :
                Although HTM1 is definitely better than HTM2, but i think with proper calibration i believe the HTM2 can still sounds very good too. My advise to you is to save more money until you can afford the new HTM1, or you maytry audiogon for used one coz used = cheaper.
                Live to Eat, Live to enjoy Music :T

http://community.webshots.com/user/lewing79

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

The weakest link in your system is your center. With that being said, it still isnt a very weak link. Save your money and upgrade the center in 6 months or so and you will be set.

Just imagining 30k budget for a setup. is that for speakers only? or system? or does that have to include room ambiance too? this stuff nickel and dimes you every part of the way. i guess we all just have to find our priority and do it well. it is just too difficult to do it all.

im bummed because my digi 001 (pro tools recording stuff) doesnt work on xp sp2 and so I have to decide what to do about that... it would take away from my system... it feels like i am so close.. i have given up on the 802's, so a pair of 803's and scm1's and i'd be set... there just isn't enough money to go around for all of my hobby's...
                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• JBall
                    • Oct 2004

ds7?

I have had my 803's for about 3 weeks, I am ordering next month the HTM1 and either the ASW800 or the ASW850. The dealer is recommending the 800 because room size (17x17) he said standing waves would be present with 850. But he is HIGHLY recommending the DS7's for the rear instead of the SCM! because they are "tripole" or mono and dipole. Yet i never see anyone mention them. Everyone seems to like the 805's or SCM1's.

Has anyone tried the DS7's?

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

I can't comment on the DS7's, but I can say that the 850 works great in small rooms. I moved my 850 and it really cleaned it up. I know, I said I didn't think there was any place to put it, but I found one, and it sounds great and my room is currently only 12x12.
                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• jlee
                        • Aug 2004

Don't get the DS7 unless you are catering to a large crowd in a large room... and you want your HT to sound like a "commercial theater" which to my ears, sounds like crap. The dipoles are to give each seat in a theater, whether in the middle or near the corner, a more even sound... for the best imaging, you want monopoles... hence the SCM1... or similar speaker...

Comment

• jlee
                          • Aug 2004

And 1 more thing... the HTM2 is an awesome speaker... in fact, if I hadn't heard the HTM1, I would have kept my HTM2... the HTM2 only becomes "weak" when compared to the HTM1... by most standards, it is an awesome center speaker... so like I said before, don't go getting rid of those nice 805's for the 601 or 602 in the rear... OVERALL, your system is better with HTM2 and 805 and HTM1 and 601 or 602 in the rear.

Comment

• Mark_C.
                            • Jan 2003

I've been using 601s as my rears for five years now and I have no desire to upgrade them, even though I'm running 805s and the HTM2 in front. Unless you're talking multi-channel music, the 601s are more than enough for rear effects.

Comment

• Carter
                              • Oct 2004

sikoniko - The $30K is for equipment only. You can see how this could get me wanting to work on my system.
                              I would save if I could but my son has autism and all my money goes toward him now. If I want to do anything it will have to be from selling and using that money for something else.

jlee - I do like my system overall. Except for my really bad sub I have. That's why I am here to get everyone's thoughts. I am very aware that my center isn't keeping up with my 803's. I have the personality that makes me want to constantly improve on what I have. The center is a too high off the floor right now. I know that it would sound a lot better if I can lower it so I am drawing up plans for a new stand for my system. It will put the center closer to ear level. I have the rest of the speakers set up and calibrated according to the room’s dimensions.

Carter

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"