So few 80x Di upgrade/new owners posts...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gerardhn
    • Jun 2005

So few 80x Di upgrade/new owners posts...

Hi,

When scrolling through the posts my feeling was that there were so little post on new 80xDi users.
    Some years ago when the previous D-line, (S for lower models), came out, many people wrote about their speakers.
    Now I lack this enthusiasm.
    Am I right. ??
    Some thoughts: recession no money, people are just happy with the old line, people tired to share???
    I dont know.
    Your feeling??
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I've reached a point where I'm very satisfied with my setup. Consequently, I'm spending more time in the "music/home theatre" room than ever before. Of couse, I like to keep up with latest deveopments out there and do visit ... but I'm not as active as I once was on the forum ...... too busy enjoying the music. :T

Comment

• Industrial
      • Mar 2009

All I know is the Di line just costs too much at the moment for me. The old 803's were somewhat in reach for me, now the new 803's are in a land far far away

Comment

• gerardhn
        • Jun 2005

ok...
        in line with my perceptions....
        pls continue all....

Comment

• Skyblue
          • Jun 2009

Well, I ordered the 802s in cherry, but still havent even got an eta.. I'll be happy to write my impressions should they actually materialise
          B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• btf1980
            • Aug 2007

It's expensive. For the msrp price of the new 805 diamonds, you could get a used 803D on audiogon. I do love the new series though.
            A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Eliav
              • Jul 2005

My 800d's are great. I don't think the 800Di alleged upgrade is worth the price and the sell/buy hassle.
              :T Socrat

Comment

• garak
                • Jul 2007

I ordered 802Di last November, and my dealer there was a chance I could get them in January, but probably by March...However, I'm still waiting. What really irks me though is that my dealer said in order for me to get first priority, I had to prepay 100% of the cost up front. So my dealer has had my money now for 9 months and still nothing. :rant:

Comment

• Industrial
                  • Mar 2009

Wow I never pay 100% upfront, I always ask what the minimum is. Not to be cheap. Just to protect myself....

Comment

• htsteve
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by garak
                    I had to prepay 100% of the cost up front. So my dealer has had my money now for 9 months and still nothing. :rant:

That's awful. Is the dealer working with you? Have they offered any explanation, or a loaner set? Have you contacted B&W directly? I don't think B&W would like a dealer treating a customer this way on they top line of product.

I hope this works out soon for you.

Comment

• gerardhn
                      • Jun 2005

Anyway, following the line of the thread...
                      Not that many buyers....upgraders
                      If they are not here on the forum...... where should they be ????

Comment

• garak
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Industrial
                        Wow I never pay 100% upfront, I always ask what the minimum is. Not to be cheap. Just to protect myself....
                        This is the first time my dealer asked for this - usually it's a 50% deposit. Given that I've bought a lot of gear from the dealer in the past and not had any issue, I trusted him to deliver in this case.

Originally posted by htsteve
                        That's awful. Is the dealer working with you? Have they offered any explanation, or a loaner set? Have you contacted B&W directly? I don't think B&W would like a dealer treating a customer this way on they top line of product.

I hope this works out soon for you.
                        The last time I spoke to my dealer about it, he said they were in active communication with B&W to try to get my speakers. I haven't talked to B&W directly, but I think I will try to give them a call tomorrow. I've bought a lot of gear from this dealer in the past, including many 800 series speakers, and never had a problem. So I've given him the benefit of the doubt in this case, but my patience is wearing thin.

Comment

• vn1
                          • May 2009

. What really irks me though is that my dealer said in order for me to get first priority, I had to prepay 100% of the cost up front. So my dealer has had my money now for 9 months and still nothing. :rant:
                          That is a bad dealer. I would stay away if I were you. The dealer's cost is only 50% or 60% max. There is no reason that you willl have to pay 100% for deposit. WHen I bought my 802D's, one of the local dealers and I agreed on the price but then he wanted 100% deposit. I then said no and went to a different dealer which I then got even better discount at and only prepaid $2K.
                          Last edited by vn1; 30 August 2010, 01:17 Monday.

Comment

• Birdy
                            • Mar 2006

. Given that I've bought a lot of gear from the dealer in the past and not had any issue, I trusted him to deliver in this case.

Funny, for me it's the contrary: Given that I've bought a lot of gear from the dealer in the past and HE had not any issue, he thrust me and I pay only when delivered.... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Comment

• tim916
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by Birdy
                              Funny, for me it's the contrary: Given that I've bought a lot of gear from the dealer in the past and HE had not any issue, he thrust me and I pay only when delivered.... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
                              In the USA usually payment is handled before any thrusting occurs, but I guess things are done differently in Europe. :huh:

Comment

• Freddie40
                                • Jun 2009

When I ordered my 802Diamonds I put 50% down. I have had them for a 5 or 6 months and love them. A very happy owner.
                                Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                  • May 2008

I have recently upgraded my 805s to 805Ds in my 2 channel room, am waiting to get them properly broken in before I review them...
                                  Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• beden1
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2006

This is the first time my dealer asked for this - usually it's a 50% deposit. Given that I've bought a lot of gear from the dealer in the past and not had any issue, I trusted him to deliver in this case.

The last time I spoke to my dealer about it, he said they were in active communication with B&W to try to get my speakers. I haven't talked to B&W directly, but I think I will try to give them a call tomorrow. I've bought a lot of gear from this dealer in the past, including many 800 series speakers, and never had a problem. So I've given him the benefit of the doubt in this case, but my patience is wearing thin.
                                    Be careful, as I would suspect that many dealers are having financial difficulties. I don't want to stir the waters, but I would go to the dealer and ask for 80% of the money back until the speakers are delivered. I have never put more than a 20% deposit on anything I've ordered from any of my dealers.

Besides the fact that you have been a good customer, what right does the dealer have to benefit from the entire sale, before delivering the goods?

Comment

• beden1
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
                                      I have recently upgraded my 805s to 805Ds in my 2 channel room, am waiting to get them properly broken in before I review them...
                                      I'll be very interested in your impressions on the 805Ds. I'm thinking about adding some new speakers to my other system.

Comment

• RedWolf
                                        • Sep 2007

I was very anxious to purchase a pair of 804Di. A lot of hype went into the press release and I was fortunate enough to compare the 804s to the 804Di soon after release. I was looking for "new" information to be delivered by the new speakers and all I heard were slight timing and coherence improvements. I was not enough to use the credit card even though my spouse was encouraging me to make an offer. I may have had my expectations set too high. Has anyone heard either the Nola Micro or Metro Grand Reference models in comparison to the 80xDi line?

Comment

• mrciave
                                          • Apr 2010

I took the chance of the fact that the old series was "outdated" to get a 36% discount from the dealer on a pair of 802D (the last pair in the shop before Di arrived).

I simply decided that the 802D would have been excellent even if the new 802Di was out. Given the price increase of Di over D, I got my D speakers for 57% of the list price of Di.

I was building the system from scratch, so I thought better to spend the difference on better electronics and cables. Reducing my front end budget of that money and putting on the Di, sure the global result would have been much worse.

There's no worse thing in the world than underdriven speakers :lol: .
                                          2ch Setup: Esoteric SA-50, Linn Sondek LP-12 with Lingo and Ittok, Benz Ace SL, Gryphon Diablo, B&W 802D, Kubala-Sosna Emotion XLR and Speaker, Purist Audio Dominus power cords with Oyaide C/P-004/046, Finite-Elemente Pagode Master Reference, Cerapuc, Cerabase, Bybees

Home Theater Setup: Panasonic P50VT50T Plasma, Oppo BDP-95 BD Player with digital optical to Esoteric

Comment

• Skyblue
                                            • Jun 2009

Good news. My dealer now says october!!!

.. No indication of what year though.
                                            B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• bows3r
                                              • Jul 2010

I have had my 805 diamonds for few months now. I had CM9's prior and I have to say that these are a huge step up. I really love the sound of these and the bass is incredible for a speaker this size. At the point I'm running 2.0 setting, but I'm going to upgrade to a 5.1 set somepoint. I'm thinking of getting 804 diamonds for fronts and maybe HTM2 diamond to center.

Comment

• mrciave
                                                • Apr 2010

How big was the price increase of the D series in US?

In Italy:
                                                - 800D to 800Di: 21.000eur to 22.000eur for the couple
                                                - 802D to 802Di: 12.500eur to 14.000eur for the couple
                                                - 805S to 805Di: 2.600eur to 4.500eur for the couple

My two cents are:
                                                - upgrade from lower series speakers (from 68x or CMx to D/Di): worth now as it was worth in the past, as you are making a huge step forward
                                                - upgrade from S to Di models (805S to 805Di, for example): worth to get the diamond tweeter (but at almost double price?)
                                                - upgrade from D to Di same models (802D -> 802Di, 800D -> 800Di): not really worth UNLESS the change from D to Di series addresses, in your personal taste, some of the weaknesses of the D series

In general, it seems to me that:
                                                - the old D series was 100% B&W sound, with strong and weak points, like it or not
                                                - the new Di series might address some of the weak points of B&W sound, but it might lose a bit of "identity", and finally become weaker in the competition with other brands

Anyway, finally it's down to personal taste and choice, but I guess in these times of thin wallets, for sure the flagship line of any company is the one suffering most.
                                                2ch Setup: Esoteric SA-50, Linn Sondek LP-12 with Lingo and Ittok, Benz Ace SL, Gryphon Diablo, B&W 802D, Kubala-Sosna Emotion XLR and Speaker, Purist Audio Dominus power cords with Oyaide C/P-004/046, Finite-Elemente Pagode Master Reference, Cerapuc, Cerabase, Bybees

Home Theater Setup: Panasonic P50VT50T Plasma, Oppo BDP-95 BD Player with digital optical to Esoteric

Comment

• bows3r
                                                  • Jul 2010

German magazine Stereoplay has reviewed the "new" 802 diamonds. They measured frequence response 19Hz @ -3dB and 16Hz @ -6dB. Compared to old 802D's 34Hz/28Hz that's a big difference. Also the speaker got 64 points, that is more than this price range speaker has ever got from them.

The review (in german): http://www.stereoplay.de/testbericht...62095,252.html

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

I ordered 802Di last November, and my dealer there was a chance I could get them in January, but probably by March...However, I'm still waiting. What really irks me though is that my dealer said in order for me to get first priority, I had to prepay 100% of the cost up front. So my dealer has had my money now for 9 months and still nothing. :rant:
                                                    Be very careful, in these difficult economic times these guys can fold the business and leave with your cash and then good luck to get anything back. It happened to me where a dealer folded under chapter 11 and owed hundreds of thousands of $$ to clients, and manufacturers

Fortunately, I had used AmEx for a deposit and since I had not paid yet my AmEx bill yet I reported fraud and they went after that dealer. It took three months to get my $$ back. Never again
                                                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• wettou
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • May 2006

800Di is a nice line but honestly B&W saw a way to make a quick buck by jacking up the price 800D are 95% of the 800Di but 25% cheaper.

I wish times were better so I could indulge in upgraditis but even with an amazing discount I just can't swallow the difference
                                                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• specialized
                                                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by wettou
                                                        800Di is a nice line but honestly B&W saw a way to make a quick buck by jacking up the price 800D are 95% of the 800Di but 25% cheaper.

I wish times were better so I could indulge in upgraditis but even with an amazing discount I just can't swallow the difference

And still perfect time for upgrade Becouse it's a nonsense to pay new prices of speakers, I just upgrade one of the interconnects and i definitly got more clear sound with deeper imaging. I found out that 803S sound very very good, and im still not reaching their maximum.. So plenty of upgrade things

Also i had a chance to listen CM9 connected to Classe CA-M400, CP-700 and Classe CD Player.. And i have a bad feeling that B&W 703 was much better speaker then CM9. So seem that B&W are cutting their production prices (CM9 are cheaper to produce then 703) while selling for more money than old more expensive to produce series.
                                                        Also i had a chance to see DB1 SUB, but not chance to listen.. Why? Becouse it was with software error so the guys in shop are waiting for upgrade to solve the problem and to be able to turn it on.. Is that another notice of B&W lower quality? Compared to older ASW subs look very cheap. Im missing curves of ASW series.

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Well after getting my 804s about 3 years ago I have been upgrading elsewhere in the system.

- introduced a Conrad Johnson preamp - later trading that for their CA200 amp
                                                          - Cables cables cables - lots of very expensive Nordost cables (including an Odin power cord)
                                                          - Room treatments, dedicated lines and equipment isolation
                                                          - introduced a Naim 5x with power supply, then most recently trading that for a Naim DAC and Weiss interface.

If I don't have one of the best sounding 804s setups anywhere then there would not be much in it, particularly as so few people seem to pay attention to anything but the hifi components (often due to "domestic constraints")

Currently the 804s is the oldest component I own in my 2 channel signal path. It may be the "next thing" but I am happy with what I am hearing and I am also getting a bit over the constant money pit of upgrades. It may take alot to get me into the Diamonds and I would be stupid not to look elsewhere if spending that sort of cash.
                                                          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                                          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• munchis
                                                            • May 2010

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
                                                            I'll be very interesting in your comparison of your new 805Ds vs the 805Ss. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• jpbas1
                                                              • Jan 2009

Impressions of the 805D

I can't express how happy I am with the new series. I've tried a little of everything since entering the hobbie several years ago. First the 602's; 704's; more recently the 804S and 805S' for single 2-channel use.

I got rid of eveything I had to afford the 805Di's and have never looked back. The subtle changes with the additional of the diamond tweeter; bass driver re-alignment; and other tweaks- have led to profound audible differences.

I think a lot of factors have contributed to the lack of output of recent owners of the new series... most definitely the economic times; the new Diamond Series price points, and the lack of formal reviews from users and audio writers alike. I can't express my contentment nearly as well as two recent reviews from Hi Fi News (UK) and Tone Audio's (issue 31) that both accurately and fairly summarize the new 805Di in performance and quality.

Simply, a great speaker; superb build quality; accurate and detailed. Best paired with warmer sounding front end components; incredibly detailed; improved low end frequency without bloating or excessive coloration.

Recommended without reservation.
                                                              B&W 805D; Sonus Faber Cremona M Auditors; McIntosh MC 252; C-48; Audible Illusions Modulus 3; MCD 201; Wadia i170; MIT and Kimber cables.

Comment

• jpbas1
                                                                • Jan 2009

Of note, the advent of the new Diamond Series has led to some killer deals in relation to the previous 800 series speakers (which are still fabulous IMHO). I am interested in hearing what previous 800 series owners think of the old diamond series compared to the new dimond series post-modifications.

Having heard my new 805Di's there's no way I could ever go back to the 805S'. They were already great monitors but the addition of the diamond tweeter (at least 50 hours of break in) and bass woofer alignment changes-made for entirely new listening experience. If you have the opportunity... audition now
                                                                B&W 805D; Sonus Faber Cremona M Auditors; McIntosh MC 252; C-48; Audible Illusions Modulus 3; MCD 201; Wadia i170; MIT and Kimber cables.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Oct 2006

I was at my B&W dealer this past week and got to see the new 805Di and 804Di, but did not have the time to sit down and really listen. I spent time talking with their tech guy who seemed pretty knowledgable about their new speakers. He said the new Di speakers sound a bit clearer and have a sense of more air/expansive sound as compared to the speakers they replace. But, he said they also can come off a bit brighter, which is an issue if your room is already on the lively side like mine.

He said that all of the 800 Di Series speakers now share the same crossovers, which are essentially like the ones that were exclusive to the 800Ds.

I went to another dealer and listened to the Wilson Sophia 3s and to the Paradigm Reference S8 and the center channel speaker C5. They were both run through an Anthem processor and a 5 channel x 250 watt Class D amp.

The Wilson speakers completely blew me away. I'm going to go back and spend more time with them, and particularly for listening to music. The mids and highs are silky smooth yet very detailed, and the bass is unbelievable...open without constraints and also very detailed. The bass just had so much life that I was addicted in about 10 seconds. They were the first speakers that I heard that you would not dream of using a sub woofer to fill in the bass. And even being powered with the setup they had, it sounded spectacular. I would love to listen to these speakers with my Classe setup.

We went into their HT room where they had the Paradigm S8s and the C5 center. The sales guy (who I've known for 20 years) wanted me to listen to some new sub woofers while watching an action film. I actually did not want to leave the Wilsons, but I said OK. I'm thinking of the Wilsons into watching 10 minutes of the film, and I realized that the Paradigms sounded fantastic for HT. Very clear, detailed and strong, and I particularly noticed the center channel speaker sounding great. I asked if these speakers were best suited for HT, so he set up some music tracks and defeated all but the front main speakers. I was really impressed after hearing these speakers. The bass was strong and defined, and the mids and highs were also excellent (not quite on the scale of the Wilsons), but damn good. I asked about pricing for the front three speakers, and they come in cheaper than the new B&W 803Di(s) and an HTM2Di. I'm going to go back and listen to these more as well.

I think he said a pair of the Wilson's were like $25K which is more than I would like to pay, so I probably won't be considering these. But, I think the Paradigms are definitely worth some listening time, especially if you're considering a new set of B&W speakers. I also sense that they may not demand only great front end equipment in order to sound good, as do the B&W 800 Series speakers.

I originally went to these stores to look for a new big screen TV. We have a large family room that has many windows, so I wanted a screen that was not relective like the LCD screens. I was bummed to find out that the new LED screens were as reflective as are the plasmas, and that none of the manufacturers were making LCD screens anymore. So, I tell the guy (the store that sells B&W speakers) that I guess I'll keep my Pioneer Elite 58" that I've had for about 17 years. He then tries to sell me a Runco LCD 60" TV that has a list price of $15,000! :E

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2009

Beden, I think its the sasha's you've heard. They are not much more expensive than the 800Diamonds and some like them better, some don't.

However, when comparing equally priced speakers you need to take into account what the speakers cost in the country of the comparer. For instance, the Sasha cost 2x the price of the 800 di's here. And so its no longer equally priced speakers but a question of mono versus stereo, ie. I can have 2 800di's instead of one sasha. (Beatles mono anyone?).

I would like to hear the Sasha with the ayre R series. I hear that is just fantastic Incidently the ayre gear here is only $30k here as opposed to the $20k in the us, so the price for moving boxes over the atlantic is apparently less.

Comment

• btf1980
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2007

The new Sophia 3 speakers are great!

btw - If anyone reading this is in the NYC area, Peter McGrath from Wilson Audio will be putting on an event with Vladimer Lamm from Lamm. It will feature the Sophia 3 speakers, among other gear. It will be at Innovative Audio next month. I'll be there.

A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Skyblue
                                                                        Beden, I think its the sasha's you've heard. They are not much more expensive than the 800Diamonds and some like them better, some don't.

However, when comparing equally priced speakers you need to take into account what the speakers cost in the country of the comparer. For instance, the Sasha cost 2x the price of the 800 di's here. And so its no longer equally priced speakers but a question of mono versus stereo, ie. I can have 2 800di's instead of one sasha. (Beatles mono anyone?).

I would like to hear the Sasha with the ayre R series. I hear that is just fantastic Incidently the ayre gear here is only $30k here as opposed to the $20k in the us, so the price for moving boxes over the atlantic is apparently less.
                                                                        I'll have to call the salesman and ask which ones we listened to. I looked at the Wilson website and the Sophia 3s look like the ones I heard (like trash cans). But, they are about $15,000 and the salesman said $25,000...so I'm confused. Whichever ones they were, they sounded awesome! :T

Comment

• specialized
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by beden1
                                                                          I'll have to call the salesman and ask which ones we listened to. I looked at the Wilson website and the Sophia 3s look like the ones I heard (like trash cans). But, they are about $15,000 and the salesman said $25,000...so I'm confused. Whichever ones they were, they sounded awesome! :T

I had a chance month ago to listen one setup based on Krell electronics.. Until that time the Krell setups i have listen were non musical to me.. This setup was Krell (I just remember that it was Krell EVO302 AMP, and dont remember which model od Preamp/CDP). The speakers were Magico V3.. I just know that i couldnt believe how good it was sounding.. I had a feeling that is live music and that i can touch it and in same time not agressive (i have listen for maybe two hurs without single second of hars or agressive). I tried different cd -s and EVERYTHING sound very very good.. So Magico seem to be another option instead of B&W And obviosly dont need a Power Plant as amp to sound properly.. The Magic Magico speakers Retail price is 27000$ but i know it can be get for much less

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• Pedro
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 303

The Sashas should cost around USD15K. For USD25K it should be WP8.

My impressions about WP7 were really great about the mid/hi frequencies when compared to my 801D for example. The 801D even being a bit more difficult to be controled share much more bass, and the soundstage is more bigger. The difference between them didnt worth for an upgrade to me and i prefer the sound of the 801D.

I didnt listen to any new Di speaker. But i believe the USD18K 801D (now costing 12K USED) still the best option over the new expensive models

Comment

• rolski
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Feb 2005
                                                                              • 22

#39
                                                                              Maybe no-one's heard any news because the speakers just haven't been delivered to those that have ordered them ?

I ordered & paid in full for mine....in March.... I know that there are others who ordered after hearing rumours last November, but the information forthcoming from B&W regarding availability / delivery times has been....nil.

I've been speaking in person to the Director of Export Sales in the UK and the Manager of the German Distributor and quite honestly the level of service & support has been awful - embarrassing. Even after promising a special delivery of my order, they've still not arrived - and I've ordered 2*802Di's, 1 HTM2D & 1 DB1 to replace my current LCR+sub.

The situation has gone beyond the joke when there's literally no feedback whatsoever - even when people are complaining on the blog on B&W's own site ! I mean to say, most companies would (of course, unethically) delete such posts - but to leave them up for all to see & not bother responding ?! Even my local Dealer's giving up on their relationship with B&W now - coupled with the alleged continuing quality problems with the Zeppelins & the clear intention of B&W to concentrate on Lifestyle (iPod) / Computer / In-car / Headphones it seems that the core customer is no longer important.

I've only heard of 2 DB1's being delivered anywhere in the world - 1 user (oddly) won't comment & the other's said not to work because of software problems. I've only read about a limited number of 800 Series Diamond speakers being delivered which IMO appear to be to people who've close links to dealers - I think personally that they're all demo models.

Bearing in mind I'd decided to spend a lot of money on an "as yet unheard" prestige line, well in advance of release, and accepting the potential delays & problems associated with a new launch without question, I'm really fed up with B&W and have decided to invest yet more into an (Active) DSP-based Meridian system. Looking for an alternative has also made me realise that the 800 series do have failings - there are better speakers out there and it's becoming apparent that B&W are relying on their name & a slick marketing campaign.
                                                                              At the end of the day, it's all about the music & the enjoyment - however this is not fun any more & if this is the way that they treat their most profitable customers then I'm going to take my money elsewhere.

I've been meaning to post something to this effect for months, but I thought I'd give B&W a last chance as they promised personally to me that they'd sort it out. They've failed. Again. Thus I've decided that I can't rely on them any more and I'm going to walk away.
                                                                              Good luck everyone, because I really think you're going to need it.

Comment

• jamesdaman
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Apr 2008
                                                                                • 136

#40
                                                                                I can't quite understand this at all. I live in the UK and I can go to at least 4 deals today buy any model and walk out with it there and then. All the dealers I know not only have demo but stock the speakers as well.

Comment

• rolski
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Feb 2005
                                                                                  • 22

#41
                                                                                  All the dealers I know not only have demo but stock the speakers as well.
                                                                                  Well, if that's true then it's odd - because it doesn't tie up with what I was told by B&W themselves - and also if there's plenty of stock (generally) why isn't it being seen in their largest (and richest) market outside the UK & USA ?
                                                                                  And to be honest during several recent weekend trips to London & Brighton I've not been able to find any of the new series myself. Maybe I should have popped down to Worthing to rattle some cages in person !

Regardless, what's happened to me & my local dealer has made me think about all the money I've invested in B&W over the years through a multitude of upgrades and has somehow soured the whole experience - it forced me to think about the alternatives : which has resulted in demos & has also illustrated the flaws that are prevalent in the 800 series design which just aren't there in, for example, Meridian (Active) DSP speakers.

So, an unpleasant experience with a happy ending (for me) as I personally can't justify "staying" with a company that I no longer judge as reliable, with the end result being that I'm soon to receive some (IMO) significantly better sounding speakers.

Comment

• Stevebez
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2003
                                                                                    • 458

#42
                                                                                    B&W are missing a trick here .... why not offer the Di drivers to owners of the D series range as upgrades to their existing cabinets? I assume the cabinet internals are unchanged?

Much easier to achieve and I would expect a fairly simple procedure, in fact I would expect its a not too difficult a DIY process - a few bolts & screws and some connections ... bingo. Obviously if this is a dealer only upgrade shipping the units back and forth would not make this viable anyway.... it has to be a DIY offering.

This I would be interested in. There is just no way I do a full swap of my 803D for 803Di's.....

The old drivers? Well there is always flea bay ... and then its only the bass (and mid?) drivers we talking about here not the D tweeters.

Come on B&W get with the program...

EDIT: it might also allow B&W to actually ship these puppies out....

Comment

• rolski
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2005
                                                                                      • 22

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Stevebez
                                                                                      why not offer the Di drivers to owners of the D series range as upgrades to their existing cabinets?
                                                                                      Because they make a large profit on selling a new speaker, compared to that which they'd make by selling "spare parts".
                                                                                      Also, the overall interest & sales generated in launching a new series is much more beneficial than producing a few parts for the "relatively" low number of people who'd be interested in component upgrades.
                                                                                      B&W are in business to make money, so rest assured that someone's done the research / maths and decided on the best course of action - to maximise profits....

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jun 2009
                                                                                        • 504

#44
                                                                                        I have personally seen the 805's and 802's in piano and the 803s in cherry. There has been some deliveries of 802 di's here, but only in piano. My 802 cherrys are said to arrive next month. I shall keep you posted on that.. Well into 2011 if need be

Comment

• brb01
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2010
                                                                                          • 9

#45
                                                                                          I guess I was really lucky with my 802's. I ordered my cherry 802di's the middle of June and received them one week later. My dealer told me that they are limiting the 800 series to the top 100 dealers in the country. I don't know if this is true but when I got mine he said that mine were like the 6th pair they have sold already. Hope everyone gets there stuff soon because they are absolutely wonderful.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"