X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megabite
    • Sep 2008

803s buy decision

hi, just found this forum and would like some advice on a purchase decision I am trying to make.

have a stereo/home theater setup with 603 S2s as the main speaker and various matched B&W center, surround, subwoofer. i know this is kind of a small system but its what i can afford. decided it was time for larger front speakers, make the 603s my main surround, and use the current surrounds to complete a 7.1 setup. all of this will be running off a Denon 4308.

was planning to visit the dealer, maybe stumble into a good deal on floor models, maybe buy new 683s. then I found an ad for a pair of 803S asking $2,000. this appears to be a killer deal. i would be surpriosed if they are still available but ya never know. how old could these be? should I buy? what gotchas should I look for?

in case that deal falls through, any other suggestions for not a lot of money?

(obviously after visiting here and viewing a few posts I can see that I will be spending a lot more money in the future - we should all such problems...LOL!)
  • specialized
    • Apr 2008

After trying few months a lot of B&W models, i found the 803S to be something that i can't find a negative sides at least for my room and my taste.. Seem that 803s is start in high end of B&W. From this u can understund that i order them (i'll get them in 30 days), and i pay much more then 2000$ (almost 7000$). So i think u dont have to think at all, just go and get them for 2000$ (i bet that is the price per speaker, not for both )

Also consider that u'r Denon would need help for something more serious in aplifacation (I recomend Rotel 1080, it's bargain for what they offer).
    I tried 683 as well, but didnt like at all (u can read about my listening experience in other thread on this forum).
    If i have to pick a cheaper speaker then 803S, i would get 805S (wonderfull speakers, i listen them until 803S arrive), or i'll consider new CM9.

Darko

Originally posted by megabite
    hi, just found this forum and would like some advice on a purchase decision I am trying to make.

have a stereo/home theater setup with 603 S2s as the main speaker and various matched B&W center, surround, subwoofer. i know this is kind of a small system but its what i can afford. decided it was time for larger front speakers, make the 603s my main surround, and use the current surrounds to complete a 7.1 setup. all of this will be running off a Denon 4308.

was planning to visit the dealer, maybe stumble into a good deal on floor models, maybe buy new 683s. then I found an ad for a pair of 803S asking $2,000. this appears to be a killer deal. i would be surpriosed if they are still available but ya never know. how old could these be? should I buy? what gotchas should I look for?

in case that deal falls through, any other suggestions for not a lot of money?

(obviously after visiting here and viewing a few posts I can see that I will be spending a lot more money in the future - we should all such problems...LOL!)

Comment

• Ash
      • Dec 2004

Hi Megabite,

If you are inclided towards setreo listening, the 803s would be a significant jump over your current speakers, you will enjoy them very much.

However, the integeration with the other speakers you have will not be optimal, because the 803 is that much better. So for HT, the overall system maybe imbalaced, but that should not stop you from buying those great speakers.

When buying the 803, you have to realise that they would require much more power than the conventional surround receiver. Therefore, if you will make the purchase, you would have to put into consideration, that soon after, you will be buying an external power amplifier (stereo amp) which could be connected to your receiver if it has pre-out (check the manual).

Another area that you should be careful about is the price of these speakers, they are significantly under-priced, so if you found this deal online, it can easily be a scam! I see such speakers selling in the $4000 range, just a heads up. However, if it is a ligit deal, jump on it.

Hope this helps

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Two grand for 803S.............Gees just buy the flippin' things and don't worry about these guys waffling about getting the best out of them. You will get nothing approaching them at the price.

STOP reading............GO BUY! Unless of course you suspect that they are stolen goods.

803S are current model and not likely to be replaced soon so they are not old.

Now go get em' before they go. (but listen to Ash about scams, be careful)
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• megabite
          • Sep 2008

Re: 803S buy decision

LOL! ok, ok, I'll buy 'em if they're still there. thanks for your input.

actually, I am not waffling. they are in a city about an hour and a half away. couldn't get there until tomorrow morning.

the ad appears legit, some sort of liquidation store. one of the pictures even shows the serial numbers.

Comment

• quan325i
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
            Two grand for 803S.............Gees just buy the flippin' things and don't worry about these guys waffling about getting the best out of them. You will get nothing approaching them at the price.

STOP reading............GO BUY! Unless of course you suspect that they are stolen goods.

803S are current model and not likely to be replaced soon so they are not old.

Now go get em' before they go. (but listen to Ash about scams, be careful)
            I can't agree more! that's a freaking steal.

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by megabite
              LOL! ok, ok, I'll buy 'em if they're still there. thanks for your input.

actually, I am not waffling. they are in a city about an hour and a half away. couldn't get there until tomorrow morning.

the ad appears legit, some sort of liquidation store. one of the pictures even shows the serial numbers.
              megabite,

Did you end up getting these? They are quite good and it's a VERY good deal.

Comment

• atchudy
                • Nov 2007

I found a cherry pair with a small scratch on the back for $2,200 with boxes. is that a good deal?

They are on ebay, and actually seem sketchy. the guiy emailed me this:

What I've said the buy it now price is $2200 included shipping, the deal works something like this : We will be assisted on this transaction by eBay Trading Assistants, because i want to make this deal safer for us, and it works like this: you wire the money to me, and give the transaction number to eBay trading assistants bureau, they will verify the transaction number and if there is no problem they will approve me to start the shipping process.
                All i need from you now to start the process with eBay is your :
                First Name:
                Last Name:
                Shipping Address:
                Zip Code:
                City:
                State:
                As soon as i will receive your email with the information mentioned in this email i will contact eBay to start the process, and you will receive all the information regarding my information and the payment information.

Thanks,
                Andrew

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

That is a scam, dont send him any money, and report him to Ebay.
                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• atchudy
                    • Nov 2007

how do I report it?

Comment

• RobP
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

I already did, but you can go down to the bottom of the page and you will see the "Report this Auction" link, click on it and follow the directions.

That scammer who listed that auction used pictures from an auction that already closed.

Put this item number in the search bar on Ebay and you will see the original auction.

Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by atchudy
                        I found a cherry pair with a small scratch on the back for $2,200 with boxes. is that a good deal?

They are on ebay, and actually seem sketchy. the guiy emailed me this:

What I've said the buy it now price is $2200 included shipping, the deal works something like this : We will be assisted on this transaction by eBay Trading Assistants, because i want to make this deal safer for us, and it works like this: you wire the money to me, and give the transaction number to eBay trading assistants bureau, they will verify the transaction number and if there is no problem they will approve me to start the shipping process.
                        All i need from you now to start the process with eBay is your :
                        First Name:
                        Last Name:
                        Shipping Address:
                        Zip Code:
                        City:
                        State:
                        As soon as i will receive your email with the information mentioned in this email i will contact eBay to start the process, and you will receive all the information regarding my information and the payment information.

Thanks,
                        Andrew
                        Yes, huge scam. I recently received an email from Audiogon asking for me to update my account so that it would not be turned off during a "transition." it, of course, was a scam too. This is how they hijack your account to post fake ads.

For speakers in your price range. Check out Nautilus 803's. They seem to be listed on Audiogon for about $3000 and probably sell for less. Maybe $2500 I would guess.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Bummer about the scam.

The other speaker you might what to keep an eye open for is the 804S. Probably at a similar second hand price to the older N803. I have been listening to mine and should have been in bed 2 hours ago. Its one of those nights when the music gods are telling you that all sounds so right you just have to keep listening.

I'm playing my last song now otherwise I am going to be useless tomorrow. Really nice sounding kit IMO.
                          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"