X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

Just demoed the 804S,803S,802D

Ok I just went to my local hometheatre store and just demoed the 804S,803S,802D all on the same mcintosh 272 amps.. and all I can say is... damn!~

The only one that didnt impress me was the 804S. To me the mids werent even near as good as the 803S,802D. It just sounded to me like a stretched out longer version of the 805S and not worth upgrading at all to the 804S.

Now onto the 803S.. man I brought some of my favorite music and played it from hip hop, r&b and techno/trance.. all I can say is thicker cabinet makes a HUUUGGE difference!!!! The high's and mids felt even much cleaner to the ear and not as "overly bright" as the 804S & the 805S that I'm used to. I'm thinking the midrange is fully there to intercept the highs to seamlessly integrate the highs,mids,lows.. and did I mention the bass is more than enough for my tiny room compared to the demo room!!

And onto the 802D.. man all I can say is that the diamonds are silkkyyy smooth.. BUT I cant afford the 802D and maybe one day I will in 5-10 years time but I believe the 803S will serve me more than well enough for the next 10 years! The 803D was sitting right next to the 802D but I just skipped and and listened to the 802D instead. =D

All I can say is that the 803S was exactly the speaker I've been looking for. The highs and mids and lows integrate so seamlessly and was sweet to the ears. I felt the 803S was just 1 step behind the 802D's maybe a tiny step if that!

I'm definitely going to pick up the 803S tomarrow from the seller for a real great price! :T

My only one concern is that my electronic equipment is absolute crap compared to that mcintosh I've heard it connected to. I could live with crappy sound until I sell my 805S + htm4 (also htm4 not even needed 2 channel is what I'll stick with for music and HT).

Do you guys think that the 803S could work ok for a while on a rotel ra-985 integrated amp its a 2 channel @ 100wpc (yea I know its pretty damn weak not even 50% of what the 803S requires!). I also have a yamaha v861 hd receiver thats about 100wpc as well.. Is it ok to biamp or biwire them? sorry I'm still very new at this never even biamped or biamped anything before.. Any advice I would appreciate it! ops:
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

Also not to mention that there was a huggee difference from the 803S to my 805S and revealed so many sound/detail that I've missed and not even a sub can substitute for it!! The mids and lows are superb!

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by jjahshik32
      And onto the 802D.. man all I can say is that the diamonds are silkkyyy smooth.. BUT I cant afford the 802D and maybe one day I will in 5-10 years time but I believe the 803S will serve me more than well enough for the next 10 years! The 803D was sitting right next to the 802D but I just skipped and and listened to the 802D instead. =D

All I can say is that the 803S was exactly the speaker I've been looking for. The highs and mids and lows integrate so seamlessly and was sweet to the ears. I felt the 803S was just 1 step behind the 802D's maybe a tiny step if that! ops:
      Congratulations you have realized what this is all about try what one can't afford and living with compromise.

The 803D are a major step up vs 803S and 802D are an other step but you have to have the right amplification.

Classé and the new 800D series were designed together supposidely all I can say is the work very well together. The one have heard that make B&W sing as well are the Electrocompaniet Nemo 600
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• jjahshik32
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by wettou
        Congratulations you have realized what this is all about try what one can't afford and living with compromise.

The 803D are a major step up vs 803S and 802D are an other step but you have to have the right amplification.

Classé and the new 800D series were designed together supposidely all I can say is the work very well together. The one have heard that make B&W sing as well are the Electrocompaniet Nemo 600
        Thanks for the recommendations! I'm currently selling my 805S + the HTM4 and once I get the appropriate fund I want to invest in a very good 2 channel amp. I've heard the classe on the 804S and the 803S but I felt it was a bit too laid back for my tastes. I think mcintosh fits my tastes very well.

Comment

• kobestonecold
          • Sep 2007

Good luck on your 803s. You really have to upgrade to the Classe or Mcintosh because the Rotel won't do the justice. Rotel is ok with 805s and 804s but not with the bigger brother 800 series. Just do the loan ok for new amp/power ok.

Comment

• Blessedi
            • Jul 2006

I am using the 803N, and driving it with YBA 2HC, which is only 70Watts ! And it sounds great ! Never seemed to run out of juice, so perhaps , the 803 are really efficient speakers.

Comment

• jjahshik32
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Blessedi
              I am using the 803N, and driving it with YBA 2HC, which is only 70Watts ! And it sounds great ! Never seemed to run out of juice, so perhaps , the 803 are really efficient speakers.
              Thanks alot for that! Now I feel even more confident with my rotel at 100 wpc or my yamaha receiver! I'm sure the 803S will still sound much better than the 805S even with the weaker amp (for now)! But I cant wait to get a mcintosh mc252!

Comment

• jjahshik32
                • Sep 2007

Went back on the deal~ Just an 805S lover! :T

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

800 serie

Hallo jjahshik32,

Well,from 805s to 803. Even I have tried in the past.

Personally, the difference between 803S and 803D in my room is remarkable.
                  D makes a good difference in highs and mids!

the 805S is a superb speaker. I have this one for the rear (a little wasted) in my system but I have tried as main too and with a subwoofer hi worked very fine.(better as 703!!)
                  the 804S I don't have listen...but I agree your opinion - extention fron 805s.

Center: the htm4s is not a good solution for center for 803s.
                  undoubtedly htm3s!

the big difference between 803S and 803D is sure much more vs. 803D and 802D!!!
                  I have buyed a 803D (and the Htm2D too): this is my speaker and I very happy with this choice.
                  Now I like to upgrade my system with a new powerampli: like Classè CA3200/2200 (with a pre/pro ssp800) or a MC252/402. the only question is what for a pre/pro with the MC???(in HT-multichannel??)

Bi ampli: I don't like so much this choice. if I have the possibility the buy a
                  Classé I go with 2x CAM400 and not with a 2x CA2200 in bi-amp.

Greetings from Switzerland
                  Omar

Comment

• Briz vegas
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

jjahshik32. You say overly bright 805S. I've just been looking at the photo of your system. Grab a couple of pillows (or similar) and stuff 'em behind your speakers to cut down the reflection from the back wall.

Where is your listening position compared to the back wall of your room. Try something similarly absorbant behind your head (even a big pillow of some sort will do) if you are anywhere near a hard surface. I bet you that brightness will dissappear. You can do stuff for no dollars that will improve your enjoyment of your system.

I would also recommend a decent power cord or two on your system (or at least demo one) - as it will improve the bass

I may have said this to you before (I suffer from broken record syndrome, sorry) but I have found these little things worked for me - almost to the point where I am thinking a little more highs on some recordings would be a good thing.
                    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Allegiance
                      • Sep 2006

Do you mean you went with the deal or not?

Comment

• kobestonecold
                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Allegiance
                        Do you mean you went with the deal or not?
                        What is going on? 805s or 803s?

Comment

• mjb
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by kobestonecold
                          You really have to upgrade to the Classe or Mcintosh because the Rotel won't do the justice. Rotel is ok with 805s and 804s but not with the bigger brother 800 series. Just do the loan ok for new amp/power ok.
                          :roll: Really?
                          - Mike

Main System:
                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• scanido
                            • Apr 2006

Just after a few hours! What's next.... All i got to say! :lol: :rofl:

Comment

• Allegiance
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by scanido
                              Just after a few hours! What's next.... All i got to say! :lol: :rofl:
                              He has created a few to many threads. :lol:

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                • May 2005

I enjoyed reading all the discussion back and forth on this forum even though you didn't trade in your speakers, that is why we are all here isn't it :W . I think you did the right thing, we all are always looking for the next upgrade in our sound systems.

I have 804's and I think the next upgrade for me that will make a significant difference in sound will be to the 802D. Your 805's are great sounding speakers and I think that unless you upgraded significantly to the 802D you may have been planning for another upgrade in too short a time

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by SPACEMANRICK
                                  I enjoyed reading all the discussion back and forth on this forum even though you didn't trade in your speakers, that is why we are all here isn't it :W . I think you did the right thing, we all are always looking for the next upgrade in our sound systems.

I have 804's and I think the next upgrade for me that will make a significant difference in sound will be to the 802D. Your 805's are great sounding speakers and I think that unless you upgraded significantly to the 802D you may have been planning for another upgrade in too short a time
                                  Thanks for that! I agree though that from the lower b&w series from 600/700 its great to jump either to the 805S/804S and the next great upgrade would be the 803D/802D type of thing! I will start saving every penny I have now to look into upgrading to the 802D maybe in 5-7 years time! But I need a real nice amp first which I'll be looking into upgrading in the next year or two first. :lol:

Comment

• dknightd
                                    • Mar 2006

I'm definitely going to pick up the 803S tomarrow from the seller for a real great price! :T
                                    I guess you changed your mind. Frankly I would have grabbed the speakers now then gone from there (assuming I had the cash) - you can always upgrade your amp later - the rotel integrated doesn't really have the guts to drive 803 but would suffice till you can gather more money. If you really like the speakers you heard, and they were a good price, and you could afford them, that would be my first step - then save up money and look for suitable front end later. Maybe I'm just throwing a wrench in your thought process. . .

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"