PS3 -> DAC -> Receiver. Surround Advantage?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randell
    • Feb 2010

PS3 -> DAC -> Receiver. Surround Advantage?

A guy in a hi-fi shop suggested that a good DAC would be the next logical upgrade to get the most dramatic improvement out of my system.

For music, I run this:

FLAC via DLNA network server -> PS3 -> Yamaha receiver -> B&W 683s.

So the proposed change would be this:

FLAC via DLNA network server -> PS3 -> DAC -> Yamaha receiver -> B&W 683s.

I understand that a DAC like Cambridge DacMagic or Musical Fidelity A3-24 will only process stereo music. So it would compliment my music listening.

However, what about movies/games in 5.1/7.1?? Will I have to bypass the DAC and go straight to the receiver with this signal?

If so, then a DAC will only benefit me on stereo sources which, of course, only a portion of my HT use. I'd rather invest in something that improves the general sound over all sources.
    Yamaha HTR-6290B (130w x 7)
    B&W 683s (front)
    B&W HTM4S (center)
    Pioneer bookshelfs (surrounds)
    SVS PC12-Plus subwoofer (525w)
  • theblue
    • Dec 2009

I would look for a different path from your server to the DAC, keep the PS3 for surround.
    Marantz SR5002 (music fed by apple airport express via optical)
    rotel RB-985 THX (4 channels bipowering fronts, 1 for the center)
    B&W - 683, CDM-CNT, CDS3 (sides), DM601 (rears)
    a combo of haveflex and audioquest cables.

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
      • May 2008

Originally posted by Randell
      A guy in a hi-fi shop suggested that a good DAC would be the next logical upgrade to get the most dramatic improvement out of my system.

For music, I run this:

FLAC via DLNA network server -> PS3 -> Yamaha receiver -> B&W 683s.

So the proposed change would be this:

FLAC via DLNA network server -> PS3 -> DAC -> Yamaha receiver -> B&W 683s.

I understand that a DAC like Cambridge DacMagic or Musical Fidelity A3-24 will only process stereo music. So it would compliment my music listening.

However, what about movies/games in 5.1/7.1?? Will I have to bypass the DAC and go straight to the receiver with this signal?

If so, then a DAC will only benefit me on stereo sources which, of course, only a portion of my HT use. I'd rather invest in something that improves the general sound over all sources.
      Yes, the DAC is only going to improve your 2 channel sound, nothing else. If you want to improve all of the channels you will need to look at a new receiver, processor, or new amps or a combination. For example, you could start with a new amp, keep your Yammy for the processor and look at eventually upgrading the Yammy with a new processor or receiver.

For best bang for the buck you could look at trying a Emotiva amp and see if you like the sound?

Best of luck! :T
      Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• Randell
        • Feb 2010

that would bring me back to my original plan to get a new power amp. I guess the surround sound DAC that I would need would actually be a full preamp/processor. I'll probably stick with the Yammy for now though since its only 6 months old.
        Yamaha HTR-6290B (130w x 7)
        B&W 683s (front)
        B&W HTM4S (center)
        Pioneer bookshelfs (surrounds)
        SVS PC12-Plus subwoofer (525w)

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"