X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonkk
    • Jan 2010

What's up with those spikes for 802D?

I think I'm finally getting ready to buy the 802D but I was told they come on wheels and spikes are extra $200 for EACH speaker! What's up with that? I mean spikes worth of $400 is something unheard even by standarts of russian rip-off Hi End trade. We're not talking STANDS here, right? What are these spikes made of? Gold? Do they make night and day change in the speakers' sound? Is it really B&W's policy to sell them separately or is it just the local dealer trying to make an extra buck?
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

They are really expensive, but when you see them and hold them you understand that they cannot be compared to normal spikes.
    In my opinion well worth the cost - but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want the price to be lower.. :-)

Comment

• ray5
      • Dec 2008

They are free if you are buying new speakers. Just ask your dealer to order them. They will get shipped directly from B&w to your dealer and they will send it to you. If they are used speakers and do not have spikes issued against their serial number you can still get them for free. Only if they are used and the prior owner had spikes issued against them that you will be asked to pay for them. That's the way it works in the US, don't know about Russia.
      They are huge and very impressive. You can find them on Audiogon sometimes for far less money. Hope this helps,
      Ray

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Antonkk,

ray's description is accurate. Also, there are 4 BIG spikes per speaker.

They are also reversible, with a teflon type end for hardwood/tile floors.

The spikes work very well. All areas improve, but the depth of the bass is the most improved.

Here is a description I posted on how to install them. Post # 2852.

I believe they are $135/set here in the US. So $200 USD in Russia is at least in the same ballpark.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Antonkk
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by htsteve
          Antonkk,

ray's description is accurate. Also, there are 4 BIG spikes per speaker.

They are also reversible, with a teflon type end for hardwood/tile floors.

The spikes work very well. All areas improve, but the depth of the bass is the most improved.

Here is a description I posted on how to install them. Post # 2852.

I believe they are $135/set here in the US. So $200 USD in Russia is at least in the same ballpark.

Hope this helps.

You mean for BOTH speakers?

Comment

• ray5
            • Dec 2008

I think that will be for one set(4). You need total of 2 sets(8).
            Ray

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ray5
              I think that will be for one set(4). You need total of 2 sets(8).
              Ray

Correct. $135 for one set of 4 spikes for one speaker. $270 for a pair of speakers.

Comment

• JustinGN
                • May 2009

If you're already dropping several grand per speaker, what's an extra $200 for a set of really nice, high-quality spikes? The ones that came with my 684s are basic Home Depot variety adonized spikes, nothing like the ones for the 8xxDi series.

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Antonkk
                  I think I'm finally getting ready to buy the 802D but I was told they come on wheels and spikes are extra $200 for EACH speaker! What's up with that? I mean spikes worth of $400 is something unheard even by standarts of russian rip-off Hi End trade. We're not talking STANDS here, right? What are these spikes made of? Gold? Do they make night and day change in the speakers' sound? Is it really B&W's policy to sell them separately or is it just the local dealer trying to make an extra buck?
                  They are free in the US just give them your serial number
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Antonkk
                    • Jan 2010

Looks like the spikes aren't free here in Russia. Any good place to buy 'em online?

Comment

• 1oldguy
                      • Dec 2008

I have a set of 802D boxed unused with spikes.Moved just after I got them.If your interested just let me know.
                      A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• htsteve
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Antonkk
                        Looks like the spikes aren't free here in Russia. Any good place to buy 'em online?

You could contact B&W in Russia. I'm sure something could be worked out.

Comment

• Antonkk
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                          I have a set of 802D boxed unused with spikes.Moved just after I got them.If your interested just let me know.
                          I allready bought the speakers - should be delivered tommorow. But if you're selling the spikes I'm interested.

Comment

• worldys
                            • Dec 2005

they are actually $250 per box of 4, so $500 total for the pair of speakers, but they are free if you buy them from an authorized dealer

Comment

• aarsoe
                              • May 2004

Guys - the spikes are ONLY free in the US. Everywhere else we have to pay, so stop telling him that they are free..

Comment

• ray5
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by worldys
                                they are actually $250 per box of 4, so $500 total for the pair of speakers, but they are free if you buy them from an authorized dealer
                                That's amazing! The spikes are imposing but that is truly overpriced. Someone above asked why one could not pay this amount when we are dropping thousands on the speakers? That's precisely why, for $14000/pair retail the spikes should be standard no matter where we buy them.
                                Ray

Comment

• brunsje
                                  • Jan 2009

Confusion?

There are three cases to analyze:

1. If you buy the speakers new, you will get the spikes for free.

2. If you buy them used and the previous owner has the spikes, they are included with the speakers and are free.

3. If you buy the speakers used and the previous owner did not get the spikes, B&W will provide for free after checking their logs to see if the previous owner has them.

You will only have to pay for the spikes if they are used and the previous owner does not give you the spikes that he got from B&W.

Cheers, JohnnyB

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"