X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

use spikes for tile floor?

I have a pr of 603s3 that are on a tile floor w/o spikes.Should i use spikes.I know they are used for carpet but what about when speakers are on hard floors.Also would they even make a difference in sound if i use them.Any insight?thanks
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

Um...no, don't use spikes on tile floor. you could possibly use some sort of discs with the spikes but not the spikes directly. Unless u don't care about scratchig ur tile.

Comment

• rick c
      • Aug 2004

I actually dont have a complete set of spikes right now but was wondering if i actually need them.If i did i wouldnt use the pointed ones w/o putting something underneath.But my question is should i use them are they something that would be useful as far as sound is concerned.Right now spkrs are flat on floor no elevation at all.Or how would those small rubber cushions that are used for furniture legs do.

Comment

• csuzor
        • Nov 2004

I have 704 at the front, on hard tiles, and I started with the rubber (silicone?) feet supplied... then I put the spikes in the front, keeping the rubber feet at the back, providing a significant tilt... and the improvement is noticeable. Not sure if it's the tilt or the spikes, but I would argue that if the spikes are well adjusted, they "hold" the speaker tighter than rubber or carpet, and help provide better bass...
        but i'm not an expert, i just like good sound.
        as for scratching, good tiles won't scratch, but don't move them around!
        Christophe

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

The way I have learned it, spikes are only to be used if you have "soft" floors - ie carpets, wood floor or similar.
          On hard floor, like tile, spikes would be meaningless as you cant make the speaker less prone to moving by using spikes. Instead some people argue that you should be using soft material like rubber balls (silicone, or similar material), pads, or one of the many other things that are sold on the after market.

Comment

• alkalay
            • Jun 2004

Give it a shot

Hey Rick,

Just go ahead and screw those 8 spikes at the bottom of your 603's and c for yourself.
            Make sure each 603 doesn't "dance" on its spikes. Think the manual covers even that.

I have a pair of CM4's standing with spikes on tile.
            Maybe I should try taking those spikes out and give it a try for a few days. Although, doing it with another pair of CM4's sounded worse to me.

Itai.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"