X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob72
    • Dec 2005

Spikes/802D's

Hi Guys,

Well after much thought I have decided to pick up a new pair of 802D's rather than a used pair of Nautilus 802's. I have not received them yet but am pretty excited!

My question is has anyone placed spikes on their 802D's? How much of an improvement have you noticed?

I take that when the spikes are on, it makes it difficult to move the speakers if you want to adjust their placement. Is the addition of spikes worth it over the ability to move the speakers on their rollers?

Just curious.
  • JKalman
    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Rob72
    Hi Guys,

Well after much thought I have decided to pick up a new pair of 802D's rather than a used pair of Nautilus 802's. I have not received them yet but am pretty excited!

My question is has anyone placed spikes on their 802D's? How much of an improvement have you noticed?

I take that when the spikes are on, it makes it difficult to move the speakers if you want to adjust their placement. Is the addition of spikes worth it over the ability to move the speakers on their rollers?

Just curious.
    I haven't felt the need to purchase the spikes and install them. I value the ability to move them around the room without needing additional manpower. I've set my couch at the proper seating level for optimal sound. Without the spikes I can fine tune or alter the tuning of my speakers via changing the room placement at a whim. It may take me 6 months of trial and error to find where I feel they sound the best in my space, and even then my ideal of what sounds best my change subtly over the next 6 months, especially as I add new gear and/or upgrade old gear.

I obviously feel it isn't worth putting the spikes on the feet, and yes, they would be terribly difficult to move once you have them on unless you aquire some help. If you do decide to put the spikes on I wouldn't try to move them without help because you will likely end up damaging your spikes, your floor, your speaker, or your self. :lol:

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI 72,
      I spike everything; speakers, amps, cd player, tube traps (just kidding). I think they provide quite obvious improvements in the bass when used on speakers including subwoofers. Moving things is a problem. If you think you will have to move your components then don't spike. Otherwise they can provide the final refinement.

Sparky

Comment

• misterdoggy
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

I have 802D's and they are on spikes. They cost a fortune, but the perceived benefits are worth it. The Bass especially.

Keep your 802D's on wheels until you have really found the optimum location for them. This process can take weeks or even months. Do not put spikes on before you are really sure that this is the best spot.

It takes 2 to put the spikes on. Lay the speaker over on to pillows (or something similar) to make the changeover. When you put them back up its good to put them on something temporarily ie: Thick magazine. Then rock the speaker foward then back and place locater discs (a must) under the front then the back.

The speaker can slide on the discs on a wood floor.

The problem with leaving them on rollers for me was that they were in a location where people could brush past and they move easily, changing their placement. After the spikes, that was it boom, ain't movin....

Comment

• PavelL
          • Sep 2005

I used to think spikes were for carpeted floors. Makes sense. :W

Comment

• Rob72
            • Dec 2005

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info. I think I will be getting my 802D's this Friday and will live without the spikes until I figure out the perfect placement.

Cheers

Comment

• JimTW
              • Apr 2005

Hey guys, can you please give me a littel more info on the spikes with the locator discs? Is this one of the optimum setups for hard wood floor or marble floor in that if you really wanted to move it, you can still push it a little on the wood or marble floor.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Originally posted by JimTW
                Hey guys, can you please give me a littel more info on the spikes with the locator discs? Is this one of the optimum setups for hard wood floor or marble floor in that if you really wanted to move it, you can still push it a little on the wood or marble floor.
                Yeah they "slide" very carefully because if it comes off the disc that's a lot of weight on a sharp spike and you will definitely have a hole.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI All,
                  I always mark my speaker positions with masking tape while I'm in the set-up stage. This lets you make very fine adjustments and if you don't like the new position, return the speakers to their original position.

Sparky

Comment

• JimTW
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                    Yeah they "slide" very carefully because if it comes off the disc that's a lot of weight on a sharp spike and you will definitely have a hole.
                    MD, thanks! Are the spikes supposed to offer some sort of sonic improvement compared to rollers etc? (minor though right?)

Tks!

Comment

• misterdoggy
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by JimTW
                      MD, thanks! Are the spikes supposed to offer some sort of sonic improvement compared to rollers etc? (minor though right?)

Tks!
                      Yeah, in the Bass especially. Every lit bit counts for something

Comment

• JimTW
                        • Apr 2005

Yeah, in the Bass especially. Every lit bit counts for something
                        Hey MD,

I did some research... would this be the best setup for 802Ds?

Sound anchor stands (comes with spikes)
                        Just lay the 802Ds on top of the stands w/o castors
                        And then use the brass looking plates from Sound anchor
                        between the spikes and the marble floor.
                        If want to adjust position, those plates with felt on bottom
                        can slide. (I think.)

Is there a better way to set the 802Ds up? (from sonic
                        quality point of view)

Tks.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

honestly, I'm not familiar with the product so I couldn't say. I've heard good things, but thought they were more for smaller speakers ?.

B+W sells their own proprietary spikes that fit right into the same slot as the coasters did and the switch is painless.

Comment

• JimTW
                            • Apr 2005

honestly, I'm not familiar with the product so I couldn't say. I've heard good things, but thought they were more for smaller speakers ?.

B+W sells their own proprietary spikes that fit right into the same slot as the coasters did and the switch is painless.
                            Ahhh gotcha MD! Thanks.

Just the B&W spikes alone made a difference in what you heard with
                            your 802?

Comment

• misterdoggy
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

Yes the Bass was more dynamic more depth more presence.

I don't know why, but there you have it.

The spikes cost an arm and a leg. Few hundred $$ so be prepared.

Comment

• JimTW
                                • Apr 2005

Yes the Bass was more dynamic more depth more presence.

I don't know why, but there you have it.

The spikes cost an arm and a leg. Few hundred $$ so be prepared.
                                Are you the first owner of the 802Ds? I read B&W supply the spikes free
                                of charge for first owners of the speakers.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

Not in Europe

Go for it. If its for free at least you have it and can switch back.

It set me back $300.......

They gave them for free with the older N800's, but the policy changed with the new ones here. The Spikes are a piece of work let me tell you. I can see why they are expensive. They could support a tank !!

Comment

• Rob72
                                    • Dec 2005

Hi Jim,

I just purchased my 802D's last week. Hopefully getting them this week. My dealer told me in the US the spikes are free but you have to have your dealer inform B&W you want them included with the speakers. This info I received yesterday from my dealer.

I am deciding whether to put them on or not. I want the sonic improvement but am worried if I have to move these suckers that it would be a pain. Agh!

I have thought for now to leave them on their rollers and maybe later change.

Cheers

Comment

• JimTW
                                      • Apr 2005

Hi Jim,

I just purchased my 802D's last week. Hopefully getting them this week. My dealer told me in the US the spikes are free but you have to have your dealer inform B&W you want them included with the speakers. This info I received yesterday from my dealer.

I am deciding whether to put them on or not. I want the sonic improvement but am worried if I have to move these suckers that it would be a pain. Agh!

I have thought for now to leave them on their rollers and maybe later change.

Cheers
                                      Rob,

Do you have hardwood, tiles, or marble floor? Or do you have carpet?
                                      If you have hard shiny surface, then get some plates to go under the
                                      spikes so you can atleast push the speaker around a little bit just to
                                      adjust the positions etc. I'll be purchasing the soundanchor plates
                                      when the time comes. I'll have to confirm with them that these can
                                      slide on marble floor though, just to be sure.

Tks for the info on the spikes regarding having the dealer inform B&W.

Comment

• JimTW
                                        • Apr 2005

Not in Europe

Go for it. If its for free at least you have it and can switch back.

It set me back $300.......

They gave them for free with the older N800's, but the policy changed with the new ones here. The Spikes are a piece of work let me tell you. I can see why they are expensive. They could support a tank !!
                                        MD, you have wood floor right? Where did you purchase ur plates from?
                                        And to they slide alright on the wood floor?

TKs.

Comment

• Rob72
                                          • Dec 2005

Hi Jim,

I have hardwood flrs. They are already slightly marked from moving a demo pair of 802's.

I was interested in Sound Anchors. I heard they do a great job but I was not fond of them look wise. I thought they were a little clunky looking and took away from the speaker. They do a great job though sound wise.

Cheers.

Comment

• JimTW
                                            • Apr 2005

Hi Jim,

I have hardwood flrs. They are already slightly marked from moving a demo pair of 802's.

I was interested in Sound Anchors. I heard they do a great job but I was not fond of them look wise. I thought they were a little clunky looking and took away from the speaker. They do a great job though sound wise.

Cheers.
                                            Rob,

What was on the bottom of the demo 802's? The rollers?

And you are referring to the little plates for the spikes from sound
                                            anchors right? Not the speaker stand.

Btw, can you handle the 802's by yourself or does it DEFINITELY
                                            require a 2nd person to move around? How much do they weight
                                            each? Like 150lbs?

Tks,
                                            J

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • May 2005

They slide with the discs I have and don't mark the floor. I have hardwood floors. I don't recommend sliding too much, but there are moments they need to move and the fact that they slide is good.

Make sure to live with them several weeks at the least before changing from rollers to spikes. Then mark the floor as someone said with tape so the speaker go right back to the "sweet spot"

Attached Files

Comment

• JimTW
                                                • Apr 2005

They slide with the discs I have and don't mark the floor. I have hardwood floors. I don't recommend sliding too much, but there are moments they need to move and the fact that they slide is good.

Make sure to live with them several weeks at the least before changing from rollers to spikes. Then mark the floor as someone said with tape so the speaker go right back to the "sweet spot"
                                                MD, wow thanks for the great pic. Those are the original B&W spikes
                                                attached to the 802D's... they look like REAL quality parts!!!

Btw, where did you get those plates from? They look nice... black..
                                                small, and low key. Got a brand and model number for the discs?

Tks!

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • May 2005

Sorry, they were a local guy here in France and doubt they have international names.

They shouldn't be too hard to find. Any good HF Dealer should have something comparable.

Comment

• Rob72
                                                    • Dec 2005

Hi Jim,

The demo Nautilus 802's had metal rollers which were standard for the speaker. As they are extremely heavy, they left some marks on the floor. Not to bad but obvious to my eye.

To answer your question about moving them....when packing and taking them out of their boxes I totally recommend two people. Otherwise rolling them is a one person job.

I am not big enough to lift one them so that is why I agree with MD about being sure about their location and then adding spikes.

Cheers

Comment

• Rob72
                                                      • Dec 2005

MD,

Super nice picture! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"