X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rompower
    • May 2008

Rubber VS Spikes for 802D

Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone experienced rubber vs spikes on the 802D? Any thoughts?

I'm wondering if I switch to spikes but I fear I'll destroy the carpet if I want to play a little bit with positioning... Should I buy some granit plate to put under the speaker and use spikes and cones.. Spikes right on the carpet?

Thanks for any feedback
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

Hi, I have 802 Diamonds on carpet with spikes and to be honest if you move them you can't tell they have been there after a few days.

When I had XT8s I bought granite plinths for them and got better results with the rubber mounts than the spikes. YMMV though

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• rompower
      • May 2008

You had the rubber while using the granite plinths or you used rubber + carpet?

Thanks for reply!!

Comment

• TomScrut
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Nov 2013

Rubber with plinths. Always used spikes on carpet!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
        Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• rompower
          • May 2008

Thing is, my dedicated room is in the basement and the floor isn't on perfect level, as this is a basement requirement in case water's overflow...

I think I'll order 2 granites plinths and level them before putting the speakers on it and try using the rubber and spikes to see what's best.

Comment

• TomScrut
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Nov 2013

Why does the floor not being level matter? The 802s are by far the easiest speaker I have ever set up when it comes to leveling them up on the spikes, as they can be easily adjusted in situ. Most other B&W speakers need very thin spanners and surgeon like hands to get anywhere without tipping it back and getting your hand under which is not very precise at all.

I also just noticed, until this very post we had exactly the same number of posts on here!

Another thing. The key with 802 positioning is to keep them on the castors until you know where you are going to put them. I had mine for about 4 months (with a lot of experimentation during that period) before putting them on spikes. They are a nightmare to move when on spikes, to the point where its probably easier to take them off the spikes to move them anyway. Toe can be adjusted easily on spikes though (involves putting all of the speaker weight on one spike which is not recommended but it didn't hurt mine).

Comment

• rompower
              • May 2008

lol about the number of posts! :P

As for putting weight on one spike or two that is not recommended, I find this kinda stupid... How the hell can you move your speaker without doing that?!? lifting it all the way... yay!

Just when you want to put the spikes, they say, lay it on its side.. remove the casters then put spikes and put the speaker on its feet... mmm yeah but well.. I can't lift 176lbs in that huge form by myself! Even if we'd be two to do this... a hell of a challenge :P

I think I'll reinstall the casters and play with them a bit, time to find the sweet spot for bass/image/soundstage/tonal... And since i just bought a REL G1, I guess I'll have to wait again since I'll have to play with speaker positionning all over again ahah

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by TomScrut
                Another thing. The key with 802 positioning is to keep them on the castors until you know where you are going to put them.
                Good advice

(involves putting all of the speaker weight on one spike which is not recommended but it didn't hurt mine).
                Probably because you can bore a hole in the flooring with all the weight on one spike!
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

(involves putting all of the speaker weight on one spike which is not recommended but it didn't hurt mine).
                  Originally posted by mjb
                  Good advice

Probably because you can bore a hole in the flooring with all the weight on one spike!
                  Not to mention, you could possibly damage, bend or break one of the feet (hefty as they are) by putting all the weight of one speaker on it as the speaker is angled over.
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

I'd say you'd want to do the spikes with metal pucks under them for the spikes to go into.... I'll let you know how it sounds as soon as wkhanna finishes mine (pucks).
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"