X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonkk
    • Jan 2010

B&W 801 Matrix vs B&W 802D?

How does current 802D (not Diamond) compare to the Matrix 801? I can get Matrix 801 for half the price of 802D and I sure love the bigger woofer... Guess the sound will be bigger as well. However the newer B&W's must be more refined in every way? I currently only have McIntosh 6900 which I know can't drive both speakers but hope to upgrade. The stocks of 802D are running out fast so I have to make a quick desicion.
  • JürgenW
    • Jul 2004

I don't know the answer, but would advise only to buy the S3-version of the Matrix 801, if you decide to buy that one.

Comment

• windshear
      • Dec 2004

I have just changed from the 801 SIII to the 802D. Note i did not say upgraded. I am not quite convinced it was worth it. The 801 to my ears is more forgiving, with a smoother, sweeter type of sound. Also a larger soundstage. The 802D i find the sound rather brittle almost piercing to the ears. Just about all of my cd's now sound awfull. I have a treated room with bass traps in all 4 corners, so the room is not at fault. I must admit i do not like a bright sound it almost hurts my ears. In terms of going deeper bass wise, yes the 801 is better, but if you use a decent subwoofer it would not matter, not that the 802D is weak in term of bass extension.

The 801 definately needs lots of power as it is not very sensitive. For the equivalent volume setting the 802 is about 2 times as loud. Also if you plan to use it for home theater, you will struggle to find a center channel to match the 801, whereas you have a number of options regarding the 802D.

I would suggest listening to both if you have the opportunity. Use some material that you are very familiar with, it will give an idea of what sound suits you more. Is the one better than the other, i dont believe so, merely different.

I have attached a picture with both speakers, unfortunately not the best quality as the phone camera isnt the best.
      Attached Files

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by windshear
        I have just changed from the 801 SIII to the 802D. Note i did not say upgraded. I am not quite convinced it was worth it. The 801 to my ears is more forgiving, with a smoother, sweeter type of sound. Also a larger soundstage. The 802D i find the sound rather brittle almost piercing to the ears. Just about all of my cd's now sound awfull. I have a treated room with bass traps in all 4 corners, so the room is not at fault. I must admit i do not like a bright sound it almost hurts my ears. In terms of going deeper bass wise, yes the 801 is better, but if you use a decent subwoofer it would not matter, not that the 802D is weak in term of bass extension.

The 801 definately needs lots of power as it is not very sensitive. For the equivalent volume setting the 802 is about 2 times as loud. Also if you plan to use it for home theater, you will struggle to find a center channel to match the 801, whereas you have a number of options regarding the 802D.

I would suggest listening to both if you have the opportunity. Use some material that you are very familiar with, it will give an idea of what sound suits you more. Is the one better than the other, i dont believe so, merely different.

I have attached a picture with both speakers, unfortunately not the best quality as the phone camera isnt the best.
        Looks like a very nice set-up!!
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Antonkk
          • Jan 2010

Weird! I always thought that that D series is MUCH smoother on the the highs while Matrix were pretty unforgiving? What amps do you use?

Comment

• Joawen
            • Mar 2006

801 series3 is an awesome speaker, paired with NortCreek x-overs it's pretty amazing!

Comment

• Pedro
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Antonkk
              Weird! I always thought that that D series is MUCH smoother on the the highs while Matrix were pretty unforgiving? What amps do you use?
              All 801 sound smoother in their series. I own the 801D and i can tell ya, these animals sound smoother than any other BW i heard, even a bit more than M801 which having the same flat curve response doesnt have the refined treble provided by the diamond tweeters. The 801 models project always preserved the flat response without peaking in the highs excepting the N801 which tweeter at some point of frequency has a slight of peak.

My advice is you make the choice based at your music taste. If you like primary rock and metal like me dont hesitate, the M801s are the choice, they will give you punchy bass at same time smooth and forgiven highs. But if you are a jazzy, or classic listener the 802D will be the best option.

My 2 cents :T

Comment

• JürgenW
                • Jul 2004

Also if you plan to use it for home theater, you will struggle to find a center channel to match the 801, whereas you have a number of options regarding the 802D.
                I am using the HTM1 with the 801S3 and to my ears it sounds very nice.
                (I am listening to a lot of music dvd's: mainly: opera, classic, jazz.)

Comment

• windshear
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by JürgenW
                  I am using the HTM1 with the 801S3 and to my ears it sounds very nice.
                  (I am listening to a lot of music dvd's: mainly: opera, classic, jazz.)
                  I also used the HTM1 , however it is absolutely not a tonal match for the 801 SIII. Functional it is, and on their own they sound great. The mismatch is only really apparent when running test tones and jumping back and forth between speakers. In day to day use the mismatch is not really apparent.

Comment

• Antonkk
                    • Jan 2010

Wow, this thread really confused me. I thought that 3 generations later B&W technology progressed enough to make 802D at least as good as 801 Matrix! Not the case as it seems...

Comment

• htsteve
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Antonkk
                      Wow, this thread really confused me. I thought that 3 generations later B&W technology progressed enough to make 802D at least as good as 801 Matrix! Not the case as it seems...

Antonkk,

What speakers do you have today? And what electronics would you be driving these with? Either will love a high current amp.

Also, your ears are the best guide. Have you demoed the 802D's? I've found the marlin head is better than speakers without it. But that is just me.

The best comparison would be to listen to each with your material. Then pick the best one for you.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Antonkk
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by htsteve
                        Antonkk,

What speakers do you have today? And what electronics would you be driving these with? Either will love a high current amp.

Also, your ears are the best guide. Have you demoed the 802D's? I've found the marlin head is better than speakers without it. But that is just me.

The best comparison would be to listen to each with your material. Then pick the best one for you.

Hope this helps.

My ultimate plan is to buy 800 Diamond with Mac 501's when the budget allows. At the moment I only have Mac 6900 with JBL L150 speakers. Love the big woofers and the big sound but want more refinement that B&W will no doubt provide. I did demo the 802D at the dealers and while they were nice I no doubt prefered the fuller and bigger sound of 801D and 800D. Too bad the series is discontinued and the only model still available is 802D.

As for 801 Matrix - how better is Series 3 over 80 Series? A local guy sells 801 80's for a decent price.

Comment

• IceG
                          • Dec 2008

I'm with windshear on this. I have 802Ns front which replaced M802S3s - now moved to the rear. The soundstage is much greater with the 802Ns but listening fatigue on treble is certainly my experience too. Both speakers need masses of power but I have had to go to a Chord SPM1200E for the N802s while the M802S3s survived on lesser amplifiers.

The bass power of M801s just frightens me. 8O

Comment

• JürgenW
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Joawen
                            801 series3 is an awesome speaker, paired with NortCreek x-overs it's pretty amazing!
                            Once in a while I have a look on the North Creek x-over, but there are pricey and - so I understood - mainly made for the S2 serie.
                            (And I don't miss anything with my S3.)

But I am still interested in the NC x-over.

So could you give more information about why you choose for the NC x-over voor the S3's (what did you miss in the original S3?) and if that came out.
                            Did you experience positive effects that you didn't expect?

Where there also less wanted effects by the NC x-overs?

Comment

• JürgenW
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by IceG
                              The bass power of M801s just frightens me. 8O
                              Pedro wrote about the smoothness of all 801's. I have only experience with the 801 S2 and S3 and indeed that's it: smoothness and balanced.
                              I wrote somewhere else in this forum that a friend of mine said that lp's sound better than cd's, but to his ears mine HiFi installation sounds with cd's analogue, too. I thought it had a lot to do with the room accoustics, but probably the 801's add's to it.
                              Last edited by JürgenW; 16 April 2010, 01:44 Friday.

Comment

• Antonkk
                                • Jan 2010

Once again folks, how does the 80 Series 801 compares to Matrix? Is it MUCH inferior?

Comment

• ac81017
                                  • Aug 2006

I ended up with B&w 801 series 80, and I´ve started to modify them toward series 3! I do prefer the closed enclosure than the bass reflex on the series 3. series 80 have a really tight hard hitting bass, but you need Thick speaker cable and a nuclear reactor to power them. 802D sound harsh, out of control, bass is not that good. sad really.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"