X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kallagtunet
    • Jan 2008

Advice on 802D and HTM1D setup

First time poster in this forum, a great place for B&W info!

We are currently in the prosess of upgrading our home cinema. We have had the old (but to my ears still quite good) 801 Matrix S3. We have after listening to some alternatives decided on 802D and HTM1D.

I plan to build a low "base" to lift the HTM1D aprox 20 cm up from the ground for it to be at the bottom of our screen. Anyone having done some smart ideas here? Do you use the HTM1D with the port plugs incerted? What distanse do you have to your back wall (from the back of the speaker)?

We alsom have decided on subs and orderend a pair of JL Audio F1113. Anyone else have the combination? One or two? If so where do you cross over to get the best intergration, 80hz? If two have you connected them chained in mono or stereo?

Anyone have some toughts on amplification on the 802D/HTM1D's? One of our alternative is a A 600 watt ICE (Built on the B&O modules) sold locally in scandinavia, any toughts (We are wery impressed with them on the old 801s? Any other power amps good on the 802Ds, that are not ridicuous expencive?

We also wil buy a new Sourrond PRE. Anyone using the integra DTC-9.8 with the 800s? Are you satisfied with the combination?

The Integra/onkyo is not avalible yet in Norway but will be in april may. Is it worth the wait or are there other good alternatives (We only use digital sources for music and film) can be recomended?

Thanks in advance!

• sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by kallagtunet
    First time poster in this forum, a great place for B&W info!

We are currently in the prosess of upgrading our home cinema. We have had the old (but to my ears still quite good) 801 Matrix S3. We have after listening to some alternatives decided on 802D and HTM1D.

I plan to build a low "base" to lift the HTM1D aprox 20 cm up from the ground for it to be at the bottom of our screen. Anyone having done some smart ideas here? Do you use the HTM1D with the port plugs incerted? What distanse do you have to your back wall (from the back of the speaker)?

We alsom have decided on subs and orderend a pair of JL Audio F1113. Anyone else have the combination? One or two? If so where do you cross over to get the best intergration, 80hz? If two have you connected them chained in mono or stereo?

Anyone have some toughts on amplification on the 802D/HTM1D's? One of our alternative is a A 600 watt ICE (Built on the B&O modules) sold locally in scandinavia, any toughts (We are wery impressed with them on the old 801s? Any other power amps good on the 802Ds, that are not ridicuous expencive?

We also wil buy a new Sourrond PRE. Anyone using the integra DTC-9.8 with the 800s? Are you satisfied with the combination?

The Integra/onkyo is not avalible yet in Norway but will be in april may. Is it worth the wait or are there other good alternatives (We only use digital sources for music and film) can be recomended?

Thanks in advance!

While the Integra is a good Pre, it has its place, and I would say that it is not with a system consisting of 802D's and an HTM1D.

I think the three big opinions (recommendations) you will see here for your speakers will be classe, mcintosh and krell.

If you are going to put this kind of an investment in speakers, you should not go cheap on the electronics. Size your system in a balanced manner. Your weakest link will always be your weakest link and your strongest will never be fully appreciated or realized.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• RobP
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Let me first say Welcome to the forum! :T

I would agree that to get the most from those speakers you should consider some great upstream equipment.

As far as the center base that you want to build, make sure that whatever you build is solid, you may consider filling the voids with mass like sand in plastic bags, so that it does not resonate.

Speaker placement will all depend on what type of space you have to work with, your room size and of course the ever present WAF factor. If you have the room to play with we can get you a general idea of placement. what are your room dimensions?
      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• jericho
        • Dec 2004

I agree with Sikoniko, go either Krell, Classé or McIntosh, you won't regret.I also think the Integra is a good processor but can not be compared with these three.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

I have to agree with all that being said.

I will have some krell gear this year, and I cant wait!

That HTM1D is no joke either, weighing in at more than an 802, the thing is a 200+ pound monster!
          B&W

Comment

• kallagtunet
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by sikoniko
            While the Integra is a good Pre, it has its place, and I would say that it is not with a system consisting of 802D's and an HTM1D.

I think the three big opinions (recommendations) you will see here for your speakers will be classe, mcintosh and krell.

If you are going to put this kind of an investment in speakers, you should not go cheap on the electronics. Size your system in a balanced manner. Your weakest link will always be your weakest link and your strongest will never be fully appreciated or realized.
            Thanks for the input guys!

If I had the money they would probably be on my list (they are ridiculously overpriced in Norway compared to the US. They have however still not support for the new HD sound formats in their processors, right? That is a must for me.

I have heard the 802D with the top end mono block Classe setup, but I cannot say the price difference on power amp in any way justify the difference in price over the 600 Watt ICE blocks.

After some years married (not my current wife...) to a girl that required me to listen blind to equipment (and identify that I actually could hear the difference) before upgrading have lead me to the philosophy of using most of my budget on speakers (Where differences are huge compared to upstream in my ears).

I understand that Kal form Stereophile have had good results with ICE powered 802D and the integra pre?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

I understan that Kal form Stereophile have had good results with ICE powered 802D and the Integra pre?
              I have had good results with BC ICE-amps but I still default to the Classe with the 802Ds. However, I have not used the Integra in this system.
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• kallagtunet
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                I have had good results with BC ICE-amps but I still default to the Classe with the 802Ds. However, I have not used the Integra in this system.
                Thanks for the response Kal. What prosessor (s) do you use? Do you have any plans for trying the integra in the 802D setup?

Any comments on intergration of a couple of JL Audio F113s with the 802D's?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

Thanks for the response Kal. What prosessor (s) do you use?
                  None at this time. It is a music-only system.

Do you have any plans for trying the integra in the 802D setup?
                  Probably not. Too much work.

Any comments on intergration of a couple of JL Audio F113s with the 802D's?
                  Nope. One suffices.

Kal
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

I can not comment on Krell or Mc, but Classe will be releasing a new Pre in April that supports HDMI.

Thanks for the input guys!

If I had the money they would probably be on my list (they are ridiculously overpriced in Norway compared to the US. They have however still not support for the new HD sound formats in their processors, right? That is a must for me.

I have heard the 802D with the top end mono block Classe setup, but I cannot say the price difference on power amp in any way justify the difference in price over the 600 Watt ICE blocks.

After some years married (not my current wife...) to a girl that required me to listen blind to equipment (and identify that I actually could hear the difference) before upgrading have lead me to the philosophy of using most of my budget on speakers (Where differences are huge compared to upstream in my ears).

I understand that Kal form Stereophile have had good results with ICE powered 802D and the integra pre?

Comment

• ssabripo
                      • Dec 2005

I can not comment on Krell or Mc, but Classe will be releasing a new Pre in April that supports HDMI.
                      correct. the Classe SSP-800

However, it still wont decode DTS-MA internally! :M ....If you are gonna charge 10K for a SSP, the least you can do is ensure the current formats (including DTS Master Audio).

I'm holding on to my Proceed AVP2+6 until a couple of years from now when the dust settles. :cry:
                      My simple HT setup
                      4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• 1golfnut
                        • Nov 2007

Identify your needs

802D and HTM1D a great combination with large dollars invested in quality sound. You need to take home and try out different possibilities. Clasee, Krell are all top of the line. If the budget is your main issue! I would suggest that the Pre and power amps need to be of high standard equal to that of the main speakers. Blaah Blaah Blaah. You know it! you just need to sort out what you can get locally.
                        Having been down that road and then settling on the Arcam FMj9 Processor gave me the musical needs with great results to my 803's. ;x( at a good price.
                        If you have not got or prepared to invest, then why did you buy the above three speakers. ops:
                        Your main concern is defining are you wanting. Listening more to music or Movies. (If you are like me I thought I would be more Music orientated but as the DVD, DVD-A collection grew the more I use and enjoy the 5.1 sound.)
                        Most reputable dealers will allow you a home trial for a couple of days. With HDMI its very easy to do quick comparisons.

Comment

• kallagtunet
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by 1golfnut
                          802D and HTM1D a great combination with large dollars invested in quality sound. You need to take home and try out different possibilities. Clasee, Krell are all top of the line. If the budget is your main issue! I would suggest that the Pre and power amps need to be of high standard equal to that of the main speakers. Blaah Blaah Blaah. You know it! you just need to sort out what you can get locally.
                          Having been down that road and then settling on the Arcam FMj9 Processor gave me the musical needs with great results to my 803's. ;x( at a good price.
                          If you have not got or prepared to invest, then why did you buy the above three speakers. ops:
                          Your main concern is defining are you wanting. Listening more to music or Movies. (If you are like me I thought I would be more Music orientated but as the DVD, DVD-A collection grew the more I use and enjoy the 5.1 sound.)
                          Most reputable dealers will allow you a home trial for a couple of days. With HDMI its very easy to do quick comparisons.
                          Thanks for the imput, i will do some more comparisons at home.

I have listened to the 802D with the ICE amps and the CLASSÉ CA-M400 mono blocks at the shop, and even if I could here a small difference at the top end (the ICE a bit less refined but bot quite smooth) it was in now way the near 8 times higher price of the Classe amps. The imaging were comparable the classe an "inch" or two wider image but the ICE had a deaper soundstage with an extra layer. Both diven from the CLASSÉ Delta CP-700 preamp both in balanced mode.

What I have not tested much is pre amps, the Integra is not yet avalible in Norway, the new Denon either. Both on them are on the chek out list. Reading from the AVS forum there are suprisingly many thet have exhanged their, Proceed, Anthem's both D2's and Statements, Carys processors and not regretting going for the integra. There are definitively something going on that tumble the price perfomance ratios.

For me the prosessor must have the ability to play HD sound, minimum 4 HDMI 1.1 inputs but preferbably 1.3 with internal decoding of all the new formats. As of now there seams not to be to many alternatives unfortunualy.

Thaks again for the responses, I will do some serious testing at home when the new babys arrive.

Comment

• kallagtunet
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by 1golfnut
                            Thanks for the imput, i will do some more comparisons at home.

I have listened to the 802D with the ICE amps and the CLASSÉ CA-M400 mono blocks at the shop, and even if I could here a small difference at the top end (the ICE a bit less refined but both quite smooth) it was in now way the near 8 times higher price of the Classe amps. The imaging were comparable the classe an "inch" or two wider image but the ICE had a deaper soundstage with an extra layer. Both driven from the CLASSÉ Delta CP-700 preamp both in balanced mode.

What I have not tested much is pre amps, the Integra is not yet avalible in Norway, the new Denon either. Both on them are on the chek out list. Reading from the AVS forum there are suprisingly many thet have exhanged their, Proceed, Anthem's both D2's and Statements, Carys processors and not regretting going for the integra. There are definitively something going on that tumble the price perfomance ratios.

For me the prosessor must have the ability to play HD sound, minimum 4 HDMI 1.1 inputs but preferbably 1.3 with internal decoding of all the new formats. As of now there seams not to be to many alternatives unfortunualy.

Thaks again for the responses, I will do some serious testing at home when the new babys arrive.

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by ssabripo
                              correct. the Classe SSP-800

However, it still wont decode DTS-MA internally! :M ....If you are gonna charge 10K for a SSP, the least you can do is ensure the current formats (including DTS Master Audio).

I'm holding on to my Proceed AVP2+6 until a couple of years from now when the dust settles. :cry:
                              have you read the thread in the classe forum? It will be $8k, and be upgradeable to support it in the future. The choice they had was to release it early and support PCM immediately and upgrade to internal support later, or wait until the chip comes out to release it. I'd rather start enjoying it now. A lot of sources will support MA in the future, including the PS3.

I suspect you just want an extra badge on the processor?

btw, did you see that the guy who designed your AVP is the principle engineer on the SSP800?

Comment

• Pedro
                                • Jan 2006

Hello Kallag,

Nice system congratulations. What electronic have you liked more playing with the 802D?

Also, how can you compare the bass response of the 802D with the 15inch 801 matrix woofer?

Comment

• ssabripo
                                  • Dec 2005

have you read the thread in the classe forum? It will be $8k, and be upgradeable to support it in the future. The choice they had was to release it early and support PCM immediately and upgrade to internal support later, or wait until the chip comes out to release it. I'd rather start enjoying it now. A lot of sources will support MA in the future, including the PS3.

I suspect you just want an extra badge on the processor?

btw, did you see that the guy who designed your AVP is the principle engineer on the SSP800?
                                  yes...i know :T

1/2 the engineers from proceed jumped to classe when Proceed ceased. the SSP-800 is supposed to be the avp2's next gen in essence ;x(

i didn't see where they dropped the price...that's great news. Also, support for DTS-MA without the chip? hmm....
                                  My simple HT setup
                                  4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• Pedro
                                    • Jan 2006

The USD8K is nice. The Denon AVPA1HD is 8 or 9K

Comment

• Gremal
                                      • Apr 2007

I will play devil's advocate in this thread and suggest that the Integra DTC-9.8 may be be a better pre/pro than the similar Krell or Classe HT preamps--although there really are no Krell or Classe products that can do everything the Integra can do. Consider that Integra is more like an economy line of BAT than an elite line of Onkyo. As such, it is probably the best bang for your buck and the best kept secret in audio. Victor Khomenko is a hugely gifted designer and while I am not 100% certain of his involvement in this product, it has that sound signature and balanced capabilities that are the hallmark of his BAT gear and I'm trying to find out what role he played exactly in designing the 9.8. I would certainly choose this over Krell, but that is just personal preference. It may look like mass-marketed crap, more or less, but it certainly doesn't sound like mass-marketed crap. As it breaks in and gels in my system, I am increasingly pleased with it.
                                      Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                                      Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                                      B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                                      VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                                      Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"