X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moonlightdrive21
    • Dec 2005

Experiences with 802D's

Hello all.

I am new to the forum and am glad I found this place.

I purchased 802D's recently. I am SO happy with them. I spent a whole day comparing them to Wilson Sofias (which were also great). The dealer was nice enough to let me bring my electronics and cables with me to the store, which worked out great.

The 802D's are replacing B&W 801's (matrix series 3). The 801's have been great, but wanted to make an upgrade after all these years. The 802D's are hooked up to 9 year old Classe electronics.

Hoping to hear some feedback on how to handle my current dilemma, which is as follows: When I listen to concert DVD's in "2 channel/Bypass" mode on my Lexicon DC-1 (9 year old surround sound processor), it sounds a lot better than using my 5.1 system. I'm not sure if this is because my center channel (9 year old B&W HTM) is not up to par, or because 2 channel will always be better no matter what speaker I put in the center channel (was considering the HTM 2D). I know the only way to really tell is to get a better center channel in there, but was wondering what you guys think? I would hate to spend the big money on a nice center channel only to find I still end up using 2 channel all the time.

My room is only 15 by 20 and the distance between the listening spot and the speakers is on the 15 foot side. Because of room limitations, I feel like I am not getting the wide open sense of air and space in the sound, plus the bass could be better. Was wondering if any 802D owners with similarly small rooms are noticing the same? I had the same problems with my 801's. Don't get me wrong, the 802D's sound excellent, but like the rest of us audiophiles, I am forever super picky and overanalyzing the sound. :-)

Thanks,
    Dave
  • JKalman
    • Nov 2005

I'm running my 802Ds through a Bryston SP1.7 (in bypass mode) and a Bryston 9B SST, using a Denon DVD-5910 for sources atm. I have them three feet from the front and side walls. My area is about 15 feet side to side, and 34 feet or so to the back of the room. I haven't noticed problems with the bass on my speakers. The sound stage extends well beyond the speakers and over the entire three feet to the wall on one side and bookcase on the other. The only problem I am having is the bookcase, which absorbs sound on one side making the other side seem like it extends much further out beyond the speaker. I need a baffle for the side of the room without a bookcase to balance out the sound, but that being said, it isn't that bothersome. I'm not noticing any of the problems you listed with my combination of components. As far as surround speakers, I'm still saving up for surround speakers at a later date. I traded in a 5.1 B&W 7 series setup to buy the 802Ds.

I would demo some newer components. Since you just bought the 802D pair from a dealer, you should ask him/her to let you demo a HTM2D.

Last night I almost had a heart attack listening to the 802Ds. A song on Ziggy Stardust caught me off guard while I was sitting in my listening position and suddenly the sound hit me from behind! I thought someone had snuck up behind me in my office. It scared the living crap out of me. Beware, relaxing too much while listening to these speakers can cause serious health hazards... hehe. I've noticed this happens fairly often, just not usually behind me like that, often it is a sound in the recording that sounds so real and in the room that I turn my head because I think something is moving in a pile of crap I have on the floor to my right or by the bookshelf. Not that things don't sound real all the time, but occasionally I'll hear something that isn't necessarily predictable in a recording which isn't coming from what I consider the "usual" soundstage area. Moments like that definitely get my attention and turn my head to where I heard the sound coming from.

I don't see how you could go wrong with the HTM2D, B&W recommends it as a match with the 800D, 801D, 802D, and 803D for people who don't have space for the HTM1D. I would really consider updating your 9 year old equipment, it could be they are part of your problems. Bypass mode means you aren't using the equipment except to pass the signal, so if the sound problem is occuring when using that equipment in regular processing modes, it seems plausible that your equipment might be a little dated.

Comment

• grit
      • Jan 2005

Forgive the quick reply. I'd stick with 2-ch for stereo music unless you are listening to a source originally recorded in multi-channel (ie, a movie).

Comment

• JKalman
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by grit
        Forgive the quick reply. I'd stick with 2-ch for stereo music unless you are listening to a source originally recorded in multi-channel (ie, a movie).
        There are very good remixes done by the original artists that just use the surround channels to reproduce room acoustics. I wouldn't discount those just because they were not originally recorded in 5.1, like Ziggy Stardust. An album like Dark Side of the Moon is a good example of using all 5.1 channels for good effect, despite using the back channels for more than just room acoustics. 5.1 can be used effectively even if an album isn't recorded using 5 microphones.

BTW, I wasn't listening to Ziggy Stardust in surround mode when it scared the bejesus out of me, I was listening in stereo.

Comment

• grit
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by JKalman
          There are very good remixes done by the original artists that just use the surround channels to reproduce room acoustics. I wouldn't discount those just because they were not originally recorded in 5.1, like Ziggy Stardust. An album like Dark Side of the Moon is a good example of using all 5.1 channels for good effect, despite using the back channels for more than just room acoustics. 5.1 can be used effectively even if an album isn't recorded using 5 microphones.

BTW, I wasn't listening to Ziggy Stardust in surround mode when it scared the bejesus out of me, I was listening in stereo.
          Guess I should have been more specific - I would stick to 2-ch for music unless the source was origianlly MIXED for multichannel (eg, DVD, DVD-A, SACD).

Comment

• JKalman
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by grit
            Guess I should have been more specific - I would stick to 2-ch for music unless the source was origianlly MIXED for multichannel (eg, DVD, DVD-A, SACD).
            I guess I should have been more specific. I was talking to the original poster, not you.

Comment

• grit
              • Jan 2005

I guess I should have been more specific. I was talking to the original poster, not you.
              DOH! Sorry bout that! ops:

Comment

• misterdoggy
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Welcome to the Group Moonlight Drive !

I have 2 Krell Kavs (250wpc) with 802D's, htm2D center and 804D's surround and ASW825. I'm using a Ayre DX1E one of the best CD/DVD players around ($10k) with a Parasound HaloC1 processor. All new stuff.

When I play even DVD's that are concerts ie: "Lang Lang" playing piano, The DVD gives you a choice whether you want 2.0 or 5.1 . I ALWAYS chose 2.0.

Why...... Because no matter what, the 2 802D's are going to make sounds that you just won't hear out of the other speakers !!

Any system is only as weak as its weakest points. Even though my other speakers ain't that bad, the fullness of just the 2 802D's beats any other combination with a stick.

As we've said in other discussions a "in a perfect world ALL the speakers would be 800D's or 802D's" then you could listen to DVD and be happy. Until then your 2.0 listening experience is going to be superior IMHO.

Of course for Movies its another story. The special effects need to be in 5.1

Comment

• JKalman
                  • Nov 2005

misterdoggy,

How do you like those Krells? Are you using one for each front (bi-amped), or do you have a 2 channel for stereo and a 3 channel model for surround?

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
                    • Dec 2005

Thanks so much for the great feedback guys !!!!

Dave

Comment

• misterdoggy
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

misterdoggy,

How do you like those Krells? Are you using one for each front (bi-amped), or do you have a 2 channel for stereo and a 3 channel model for surround?
                      Jkalman,

I love the Krell sound !!!!!!

I've got a Kav2250 and a Kav3250. One is 2 x 250 and the other is 3 x 250. I use the kav 2250 for the fronts biwired (not biamped).

Everytime I think about upgrading to something like a 400FPBCX Krell amp I think ....... Is it worth the $$ for a slightly better sound. Yeah, you might say you will hear things blah blah, and yes it would be better ( a bit) but its already Great. More might just be obsessing.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"