X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by 1oldguy
    Mmmm...If I may get a little help if possible...My inbox is full and as odd as this sounds...I can't find a delete option?Please help an oldguy out?Anyone?
    Select the message that you want to delete (left mouse click block/s - as circled in red). Then select "delete" from the selected messages drop down menu (bottom right hand side of your screen). Then left mouse click "Go". Selected messages should then be deleted.
    Attached Files

Comment

• 1oldguy
      • Dec 2008

Thanks Shadow

Ok it's all clear now,mailbox is in action again for anyone who may have emailed me.
      A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by 1oldguy
        Thanks Shadow...
        My pleasure

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

Hy Lucien,

high end have devil inside , no ending.....

You have decide for a extra 802d..... ok, sure a great choice....but the S1200 as be too ordered!!!! Wow, great :T

what for rack you have buyed? a full stand to place all your "units" like in a
          "computer racks or the new Classe CT linie?

Send me a mail (PM )

greeting Omar

Comment

• ShadowZA
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by style

what for rack you have buyed? a full stand to place all your "units" like in a
            "computer racks or the new Classe CT linie?

Send me a mail (PM )

greeting Omar
            Thanks Omar. I've sent you an email giving more detail, but briefly, the rack design will look like this:

Attached Files

Comment

• ShadowZA
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Work in progress.

802D Centre touched down this afternoon and is safely in the hangar.

Attached Files

Comment

• ray5
                • Dec 2008

Very nice!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• vinylmeister
                  • Sep 2009

you will have a stiff neck of looking up to the screen.
                  Marantz SA-11S2 -> Cardas Golden Presence -> Classe CP-500 -> Cardas Quadlink -> CA-2200 -> Cardas Quadlink -> B&W 802d

Comment

• ShadowZA
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ray5
                    Very nice!!!!!!!!!!
                    Thanks!

Originally posted by vinylmeister
                    you will have a stiff neck of looking up to the screen.
                    Plasma was raised about half an inch plus the recliners are quite high (fortunately) so the screen height is not an issue. Also, the distance between eyes & screen is 13,5 feet. This benefits.

Comment

• style
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2006

Hi Lucien,

great work.

well with a distance from 13,5feet from the plasma (around 4,44meter) is ok :T

but with a 60" and 10,5feet my plasma is at 90cm., higher I don't like.....

now the s1200 :W

greetings Omar

Comment

• hifiguymi
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2007

ShadowZA, you need a bigger TV!! That set looks small compared to the speakers. I think adding the 802D for the center, which is very cool by the way, really makes it look smaller than it is. I don't remember it looking like that before in the older pictures.

Eric

Comment

• ninja12
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                          Work in progress.

Very nice. I like it. :T

Comment

• ShadowZA
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Hi Lucien,

great work.

well with a distance from 13,5feet from the plasma (around 4,44meter) is ok :T

but with a 60" and 10,5feet my plasma is at 90cm., higher I don't like.....

now the s1200 :W

greetings Omar
                            Thanks Omar. The biggest constraint was the height factor. Luckily that's not an issue. Am used to the present screen height. S-1200 is next.

Originally posted by hifyguymi
                            ShadowZA, you need a bigger TV!! That set looks small compared to the speakers. I think adding the 802D for the center, which is very cool by the way, really makes it look smaller than it is. I don't remember it looking like that before in the older pictures.

Eric
                            You bet! It's a 50" monitor but a 60 incher or better would be great.

Originally posted by ninja12
                            Very nice. I like it. :T
                            Thanks. At first glance it looked a bit strange but it's growing on me.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

Here's a different perspective:

Attached Files

Comment

• boarder1995
                                • Sep 2009

Images like these really put into perspective the size of the 802D. When I see them in photos normally, I think - no problem they'll fit nicely in my room. Then I see them in person and photos like these, and wow - they're pretty big. Great photos and nice setup. Thanks for posting.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by boarder1995
                                  Images like these really put into perspective the size of the 802D. When I see them in photos normally, I think - no problem they'll fit nicely in my room. Then I see them in person and photos like these, and wow - they're pretty big. Great photos and nice setup. Thanks for posting.
                                  Thank you, boarder1995. As big as the 802D's are, I find them to be a perfect size in terms of midrange & tweeter height. If they were even an inch taller, my arrangement would simply not be able to work well at all ... unless I devised a plan to build indentations in the floor within which to "lose" some of the base plinths.

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

Here's a different perspective:

Nice I have the same three 802D in front and I love it my screen is just a touch larger 10 feet wide 2:35 Stewart FilmScreen FireHawk G3 illuminated by JVC RS-2 and fed by the Oppo BDP-83 :T
                                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                                      Nice I have the same three 802D in front and I love it my screen is just a touch larger 10 feet wide 2:35 Stewart FilmScreen FireHawk G3 illuminated by JVC RS-2 and fed by the Oppo BDP-83 :T
                                      Cool! :T

A quick question ... regarding your 802D centre, do you leave the plastic midrange cover on or off? I find that if I take it off, the yellow color of the midrange can be a bit of a distraction to other viewers. Does not bother me though, in fact I do prefer the cover off.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Looks great! That is part of the reason I sold my NHTM1. For the $1600 for the HTM1 you could buy a single N802 for a few hundred more. Id love to have a 3rd. Always keeping an eye out for a single in cherry. Ive seen a single black and single red cherry for sale, but no natural.

Question, how far apart are the L and R 802?
                                        B&W

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                          Looks great! That is part of the reason I sold my NHTM1. For the $1600 for the HTM1 you could buy a single N802 for a few hundred more. Id love to have a 3rd. Always keeping an eye out for a single in cherry. Ive seen a single black and single red cherry for sale, but no natural.

Question, how far apart are the L and R 802?
                                          Thanks, RCD. At present the distance between the L & R 802D's = 5 ft 4 inches. This is not a final setup yet. I'm waiting on a rack system which is being manufactured. Once this is setup (on the right hand side), I'll be able to finalize the 802D's spacing ... which will be equidistant from the centre point.

Already the sound I'm getting appears to be very coherent, balanced and uniform accross the front end (compared to how it was before) ... I've only watched Transformers 1 & Diana Krall - Live in Rio on Blu plus a handfull of redbook CD's. With regard to 2-channel CD listening, I'm finding that NOT having the centre rack seems to have uncluttered the sound. It's still early days and the setup is not finalized but there is an improvement.

Comment

• vn1
                                            • May 2009

Three 802D's look so cool. But my concern is will the center 802D mess up the stereo image when playing 2 channel music since it is the same height with the left and right ones?
                                            I have a pair 802D's for the front too but I still use HTM1 for center for now.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by vn1
                                              Three 802D's look so cool. But my concern is will the center 802D mess up the stereo image when playing 2 channel music since it is the same height with the left and right ones?
                                              I have a pair 802D's for the front too but I still use HTM1 for center for now.
                                              Thanks, vn1. What I hope to do once the setup is complete, is to edge the front left & right speakers slightly more forward than they are at present such that, together with the centre, a semi-circle is formed (the equidistant scenario mentioned by Kal earlier in post#20).

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Jan 2006

The racks arrived today. Enabled me to neaten things up a bit.

Gaining access to equipment connections behind the main rack is now easier than before. Gliding out the right front 802D is all that it takes. Still awaiting the S-1200 processor. Maybe early in the new year.

Right now it's time to kick those legs back and make sure to pig out on some great music & not the food.
                                                Attached Files

Comment

• wildmda
                                                  • Jan 2009

Shadow,

Nice setup! Can you tell me where you got the rack?

Thank you

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

The racks arrived today. Enabled me to neaten things up a bit.

Gaining access to equipment connections behind the main rack is now easier than before. Gliding out the right front 802D is all that it takes. Still awaiting the S-1200 processor. Maybe early in the new year.

Right now it's time to kick those legs back and make sure to pig out on some great music & not the food.

Cool, very nice picture nice rack
                                                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Jan 2006

Thanks wildmda & wettou.

I bought the rack from "Soundtructures", a South African supplier based in Johannesburg. The owner, Hein, told me that he does export. My two racks arrived at my door extremely well crated. The amp rack was securely bolted to the wooden box within which it was transported. The large vertical rack was well secured within a well constructed wooden box.

I am extremely happy and satisfied with the racks. Solidly built, beautiful pieces of furniture imho.

Here's the website: http://www.soundstructures.co.za

Comment

• Nick M
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Nov 2004

I say run a ghost center by folding the center channel into your mains, then lower your screen to the proper height and get a second DD15. Unless you have people sitting at the extremities of your room, the stereo effect from your mains will provide a much more realistic soundstage than a center channel. The second sub will add headroom and lower the floor of your system response. Also, proper alignment of your display with your soundstage will make for a much more realistic presentation - not to mention the comfort factor of looking straight ahead rather than up.

Just my humble opinion.

EDIT: Whoops... apparently I missed page 2 of this thread long ago... :lol:
                                                        ~Nick

Comment

• style
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Feb 2006

Hi Lucien,

the rack is great and very big...the brouchure don't give a real idea from the product!!! and I see photo, live will be better :T :T

the "little" Krell Kavx250 wait a 403!!!!!! :W

Omar

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Jan 2006

Nick, I share your belief in the benefits of a 2nd matched sub (drool factor kicks in about now ). I was most nervous about the monitor height. It's not the most satisfactory positioning but so far does not seem to be a problem. Space is limited - main rack (officially called a "Soundstructure" as Hein puts it :T ) is very close to the right front 802D but the sound is a step up to what it was before in terms of a matched front end. My previous rack seemed to induce a mild clogged-up (lacking spaciousness) type effect noticeable especially during 2-channel listening (plus I was always bumping my head on the plasma when trying to tweak the equipment wiring).

Omar, it is huge. It is heavy but I love it! Crated, it weighed 128Kg - I would estimate its separate weight to be around 110Kg. Yes, the "little" KAV-2250 looks out of place while I wait to order the 403 (which I hope to order as soon as I've had the S-1200 for about a month or so). Things are dragging a bit. Have ordered the S-1200 already. Waiting at this time.

Comment

• style
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Feb 2006

Hi Lucien,

from your photos and the catalog of the difference is great-very big and notable (for the better for what your picture shows)
                                                              legs are empty? Has to be you (but useful?) put sand in my legs for the sound?

always very close to the right speaker ... but a picture does not dive if affects the sound ..
                                                              sure that if you purchase 60" will have trouble! too high! (For my taste)
                                                              when I changed af 50" with 60" the difference was really before the eyes....

a projector with the screen down in front of the 802D (Cenral) could be another solution if you have enough space .. (Projector 3 - 4 meters - Full HD - 75-inch screen of approximately , covers the central 802D is not so good solution, maybe it's better to have a screen 60 to 65 inches I think there are many advantages VS. projector if you do not have enough space and also better quality, especially during the day! (on a new fullhHD and a hook for the wall snodablie....

I bought a rack "Spectral" to put the htm2d - in reading and sources close to the floor the last shelf ClasseAudio ssp800 & ca5200 (where you put the Kav3250)

legs were filled with sand for Sounio, even though I have not heard ....

should get another piece to put other electronics: a new CD player (only for music), a 2-channel/stereo Classe power-ampli.. and most likely a turntable Mitchell

and next piece
                                                              (black glass and alu legs as the substrate in the living room)

greetings Omar

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Jan 2006

I have already noticed a definite improvement in 2 channel sound and I have not even received the new processor yet. I'm ignoring the obvious improvement noticed during multi-channel sound as a direct result of the 802D centre. There are 2 main reasons for this imho:

1. The replacement and re-positioning of the rack and
                                                                2. The upgrading of my interconnects to Kingcats from Catcables (big thanks to Doug).

With the centre rack I had, there was a certain muffled scenario going on. Sound felt boxed in and there was a destinct feel of directionality that the sound eminated from the speakers (which of course it was ... but you know what I mean). Now all this clogging is gone. Purity and 3-dimensionality remain. No more directionality. The sound hovers upon a wide, deep stage directly in front of me. In addition to this there is a tinge more airyness and detail which I've noticed coming through, especially on the female vocal smooth jazz which I like. It's goosebump-producing and I love it! Is this the Kingcats? I think so.

A little bit more on the "Soundstructure" ... the rack. It is extremely solidly constructed and the equipment is much more isolated and stable than before imho.

Omar, that looks like an amazing rack. The sand should induce significant stability and help in vibration reduction.

I have given the idea of a projector a miss for the time being. Main reason for this is that too much light enters the room. Of course ... there is always the notion of a projector + monitor.

You could be right about a 60" creating a height problem. When and if this happens I have considered creating an "indent" in the floor to lower the centre 802D say by an inch or two. Am I crazy? Probably! See what this hobby induces us to do.

I wholeheartedly support your plan to acquire a dedicated CD player void of any video-electronics. The less audio interferences there are, the better imho.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Jan 2006

An update:

My processor (Krell S-1200) arrived today ... but ... it flatlined on me during the setup procedure and so I did not get a chance to listen to it. Oh well. :cry: My supplier will be popping in tomorrow to see if there is anything that can be done. My feel is that it will most likely be sent back as I've tried to do what I can but with no luck.

Well ... updated news is that the Krell agent in South Africa has already been in communication with the Krell guys in the States and it appears that it is known what the problem might be. This will be checked when my unit is collected tomorrow. At this time, it's all hands on deck. I'm being well looked after.
                                                                  Attached Files
                                                                  Last edited by ShadowZA; 06 January 2010, 13:14 Wednesday. Reason: updating the update

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Update: S-1200 fixed. Problem: Loose solder joint. I'm enjoying this processor upgrade and getting to grips with the Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD Master Audio formats (I'm bitstreaming from the Blu-ray player). One word: FANTASTIC!

Comment

• style
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Feb 2006

Hi Lucien,

I too one word: GREAT!!!

I don't have never read from a compare from the Krell and the Classe SSP but
                                                                      I think that the 2 pre/pro sound amazing!

now the Evo402 :W :W

Style

Comment

• Relentless
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jul 2007

Work in progress.

Very nice :T I always loved that CDP, probably a tossup between that one and the C5XEMP. I would definitely get the EVO403, I was using mono's for my mains and a 5ch for the center and surrounds, and I did not realize how off timbre it was until I used the exact same amp across the front three. Too bad Krell did not make good on there promise to include "CAST" on the S1200 :M
                                                                        I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                                                                        Lou

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 1098

Thanks Omar, Relentless. The plan is to "embed" the processor into the system for about a month or so. Once this is done, the final phase is to place an order for the EVO 403 ... or EVO 403e. Here's the latest from Krell:

January 7, 2010
                                                                          Krell Industries Goes Green In New Evolution e Series Amplifiers

By Gary Reber

Krell Industries, LLC, the leader in high performance music and home theater systems has announced a substantial upgrade to the Evolution lineup of amplifiers. The new enhanced, Evolution e Series, delivers greater fidelity while at the same time reducing its carbon footprint.

Redefined Power Supply

An intense upgrade to the power supply includes a new separate toroidal transformer for the digital control circuitry, improved EMI suppression of high frequency artifacts, and a substantial increase in capacitive power supply reserve. A new green mode reduces the standby power draw dramatically. As an example, the Evolution 402e power draw drops from 370W to 2W – a reduction of 99.5%. The new standby mode is user selectable and turns off all non critical circuitry. The power indicator ring glows green in the new mode. The standard standby mode, which keeps all but the output stages active, is still available and indicated by a red ring on the power indicator.

Sound Enhancements

The audio circuitry has also received enhancements in the new Evolution e Series. Building on the unique Active Cascode Topology foundation of the Evolution Series, the e Series amplifiers feature more precisely balanced current sharing among the seven sets of Active Cascode Quartets that make up the output stage. This greater precision elevates an already impressive performance envelope and provides greater amplifier reliability. A new feedback implementation delivers improved dynamic performance.

“It is exciting to bring environmentally friendly operation to our customers without asking them to sacrifice performance.” Said Bill McKiegan, Vice President, USA Sales and Marketing. “We actually have added performance to an already award winning design. It is truly the best of both worlds.”

The Evolution e Series includes three mono amplifiers - the Evolution 400e, 600e, and 900e, two stereo amplifiers - the Evolution 302e and 402e, and a three channel amplifier – the Evolution 403e. Shipments of the new amplifiers begin in March

Estimated Retail Prices:

Mono amplifiers – Evolution 400e - $23,000/pr, Evolution 600e - $37,000/pr, Evolution 900e - $50,000/pr

Stereo amplifiers - Evolution 302e - $12,500, Evolution 402e - $18,500

Three Channel Amplifier – Evolution 403e - $25,000

Comment

• wettou
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                            • 3389

Estimated Retail Prices:

Mono amplifiers – Evolution 400e - $23,000/pr, Evolution 600e - $37,000/pr, Evolution 900e - $50,000/pr

Stereo amplifiers - Evolution 302e - $12,500, Evolution 402e - $18,500

Three Channel Amplifier – Evolution 403e - $25,000
                                                                            Ouch at these prices I will pass especially since they look like EMOTIVA :E

Comment

• style
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Feb 2006
                                                                              • 1562

#83
                                                                              Lucien you can make a test Krell EVO vs. Emotiva :B

A Krell Evo302 will be enogh for me :T

and the price will be more "human" vs. the Evo 400 and big brothers! :T

my only question is if Krell (D'Agostino) can give the event. replace part for the power ampli.
                                                                              from what is was he have $$$$$ problem! and buy a 3k $$ / €. ... and in 1 year no more spare parts available :evil: : this is a point pro ClasseAudio!

with the power ampli the risk is little but with the pre/pro or the cd player can be a big problem!

Style

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2006
                                                                                • 1098

#84
                                                                                Omar, you've raised a very pragmatic and valid point. There is risk. Real risk. I believe that you are correct in saying that this "going concern" risk lies more with Krell than Classe. It's a tough choice.

I wish That I could do an A/B test between Emotiva & Krell. Unfortunately, it is impossible to do that here.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2006
                                                                                  • 1098

#85
                                                                                  A quick pic (or two) as to how things are looking at present. I'm ready to place an order for the Krell EVO 403e as soon as it becomes available. This will then signal the final stage of my major equipment upgrade.

The system:

The processor:

Attached Files

Comment

• Relentless
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jul 2007
                                                                                    • 317

#86
                                                                                    Originally posted by wettou
                                                                                    Ouch at these prices I will pass especially since they look like EMOTIVA :E
                                                                                    looks can be deceiving.. it is what is inside that counts when it comes down to amplifying the source. I am not putting down the Emotiva amp, but that is like saying that because a Ford SHO has some balls and looks like my M5 it is as good. On the other hand both cars and amps will get you from point A to B and the differences will only glare out when they are both pushed....

I like you set up Shadow :T
                                                                                    Last edited by Relentless; 07 April 2010, 13:18 Wednesday.
                                                                                    Lou

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 1098

#87
                                                                                      Originally posted by Relentless
                                                                                      ...

I like you set up Shadow :T
                                                                                      Thanks, Lou

Comment

• Relentless
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jul 2007
                                                                                        • 317

#88
                                                                                        my only question is if Krell (D'Agostino) can give the event. replace part for the power ampli.
                                                                                        from what is was he have $$$$$ problem! and buy a 3k $$ / €. ... and in 1 year no more spare parts available :evil: : this is a point pro ClasseAudio!

with the power ampli the risk is little but with the pre/pro or the cd player can be a big problem!

Style
                                                                                        Krell has been making big changes in house to stop the bleeding money wise as far as I have been told. In the past they would spend big money on R&D of products that are not practical in the real world, for example the sub with a pair of 15" drivers in a thick aluminum cab, or some other speaker designs and throw a huge price tag on them and expect to compete with established speaker companies with better offerings for less. My 707 has had its issues but Krell is all over them, they even went as far as writing there own code for HDMI because they keep changing the standard all of the time on them. I am confident they will be around for a quite awhile longer. I guess I would have to be with all I have invested in my system. As far as Classe, didnt some of the main engineers go over to Sim Audio, or is that kind of old news? It seems like there are alot of changes in the high end audio world.
                                                                                        Lou

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 1098

#89
                                                                                          The effortless, incredible, beautiful Krell Evolution 403e is in the house & this signals the completion of the major hardware upgrade. I'm doing very little now other than feed the ears

I've posted a pic in the "Pictures of your B&W Set-up" thread, here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...184#post507184 (post 3354)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"