X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ian1975
    • Apr 2009

802d + HTM2d VS 802 di + HTM2di

Hi!

I just upgrade my 705 to 805di but I have the 802d (front) and HTM2d (center). I don't know if my new 805 di will match my existing 802d and HTM2d? I'm asking if it's worthed to upgrade the front and center speakers to the new series or it's a waist of $? Is the new serie significantly better?

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Ian
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

waste of $$ given what you have
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

I agree with Mike.

ian1975,
      Diamant is DIamant

Style

Comment

• MikeFL52
        • Oct 2007

+2.

Depending what electronics & sources you have, you could do a lot for the same cost of upgrading your fronts. Unless you can get some kind of killer deal of course!!

Actually, I would say that the jury is still out on whether the D's or Di's sound "better" for the larger speakers( 802,...), some tonal shifts, but better??

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Ian,

First of all, nice move to get the 805Di's. I imagine they are quite nice and bring them much closer to the fronts. System synergy should be better.

As to your question, I agree with the others. There are ways to spend that level of money and get a better performance increase.

I notice in your profile that you have the CA-5200 amp. I might suggest the CAM400's for the 802D's. I recently got a McIntosh MC402 (400 watts X 2), fairly comparable to the CAM400's. I also have the MC-205 (200 wpc X5) that I initially drove the system with. The performace jump from the MC205 to the MC402 was substantial. Pretty much better in every way. I would expect a similar jump from the 5200 to the CAM400's.

Do you have opportunity to do acoustic treatments? That is another area where you can improve the system performance.

Hope this helps.
          Last edited by htsteve; 17 May 2010, 07:52 Monday.

Comment

• ShadowZA
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

I tend to agree with what htsteve says. :T

Comment

• ian1975
              • Apr 2009

Thanks guys for your inputs. By the way, the CAN-BUS connection is working well, thanks to Style and Mike. Steve, I agree with you on the monoblocks, my 802ds sound better with the Classé CAM-400.

Ian
              :T

Comment

• Highroller
                • Jan 2010

If the 802di and htm2di cost $2000-$2500 to upgrade from a 802d and htm2d, would you do it?

Comment

• ian1975
                  • Apr 2009

I would do it.

Ian

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"