X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark-n-b
    • Apr 2005

800D or 802D and 2×ASW855

Hi all,

as the title states, I was just wondering what your thoughts were on either a pair of 800Ds or 802D and 2×ASW855s for front duties for a system that is designed for 50% HT and 50% music. The surrounds are 802D and the centre is HTM1D. Amps would be Denon POA-S1 or equivalent.

cheers,

Mark
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

While an two 800ds will take up much less room, I guess it could be a hard choice.

I would probably go two ASW855s and 802D. That would kick ass.
    B&W

Comment

• Relentless
      • Jul 2007

get the 800D's and I guarantee your percentage of listening to music will grow more and more you listen.
      I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
      Lou

Comment

• Aldo
        • Sep 2005

Wow! I don't know...
        I think I'll go for the 802Ds.
        Your 50% movie experience will benefit in a big way with the subs, much more than the difference you can perceive with the 800Ds vs 802Ds.
        If you where more stereo listener my advice would be absolutely the 800Ds but....

Comment

• Minardi2
          • May 2007

If you're going to be serious about HT, and based on what you're looking to spend I'm assuming you are, you have to have subs. So unless you plan on adding a sub to the 800Ds down the road, the other option is the way to go. Although I wouldn't get the 855s without demo-ing some other subs first. It's great for music, but doesn't have the grunt for HT in a decent sized room IMO.

Comment

• Pedro
            • Jan 2006

801D!! The best output bass 29hz @ +-3dB and to my tastes the best BW sounding. So integrated and smooth, mid and highs

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

The HTM1D will match the 802D better for HT but the 800D has a sweeter midrange than the 802D for music and bass that images phenomenally well. If you are considering the 802D for rears then you should do the prudent thing and wait until you can afford a pair of ASW-855 and get one temporary subwoofer of low cost for LFE programming. Set all the speakers to LARGE and you'll get all the bass information you need for the time being.
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                • Apr 2005

hmmm. Thanks guys - a lot to think about. I suppose the best answer would be 800D, and then I can add subs later on if I think I need to do so. I will try and get to listen to the 801D too - which I had not really considered!

Cheers for the answers.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

Mark,.

You should also consider your amplification... Generlly the 800D is much less forgiving of 'lesser' amplifiers than the 802D. The 802D can actually be driven with many high end reciever and mid range amps and sound good. For example I think it sounds amazingly good on the relaitvely cheap B&O ICEPower based Rotel RB-1092 (500W a channel) it just sounds better and better with higher quality amps.

Whereas the 800D seems to want really good amplifers to shine andjust eats anyhting withut huge current reserves... Complicating this bass is one of the hardest things to drive in the 800D...

Geoff

Comment

• DeepEndX
                    • Feb 2005

I will get the 800D's. If you get the 802D's, you will always have it in the back of your mind, "WHAT IF I GOT THE 800D's?" You will be in endless agony..... Next thing you know, UPGRADE!

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                      Mark,.

You should also consider your amplification... Generlly the 800D is much less forgiving of 'lesser' amplifiers than the 802D. The 802D can actually be driven with many high end reciever and mid range amps and sound good. For example I think it sounds amazingly good on the relaitvely cheap B&O ICEPower based Rotel RB-1092 (500W a channel) it just sounds better and better with higher quality amps.

Whereas the 800D seems to want really good amplifers to shine andjust eats anyhting withut huge current reserves... Complicating this bass is one of the hardest things to drive in the 800D...

Geoff

I agree mate which is why I am hoping to use Denon POA-S1's! If I could get 5 of them, which is unlikely I know - but I am trying to get Denon to revive them, hopefully less than the $20,000 each which they were in 1993.

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by DeepEndX
                        I will get the 800D's. If you get the 802D's, you will always have it in the back of your mind, "WHAT IF I GOT THE 800D's?" You will be in endless agony..... Next thing you know, UPGRADE!
                        Yeah there is that.

Comment

• dan87951
                          • Nov 2005

Hope your house has a strong foundation with 2x 855's. Good lord!
                          dan87951
                          audio guru

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Mark-n-b
                            I agree mate which is why I am hoping to use Denon POA-S1's! If I could get 5 of them, which is unlikely I know - but I am trying to get Denon to revive them, hopefully less than the $20,000 each which they were in 1993.
                            Wow :P

If you can affort that, you can consider things like the Classee 400 Monblocks etc (which are submile with the 802Ds or 800Ds or a number of other high end amps.. (Macintosh 1201s or 501s etc)...

Consider them seriously as amplified design has moved a long way since 1995...

Geoff

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                              • Apr 2005

Wow :P

If you can affort that, you can consider things like the Classee 400 Monblocks etc (which are submile with the 802Ds or 800Ds or a number of other high end amps.. (Macintosh 1201s or 501s etc)...

Consider them seriously as amplified design has moved a long way since 1995...

Geoff
                              I've heard the Classe CA-M400 running the 800Ds and I enjoyed the sound a lot, although it was 'clinical' sounding, which is not a critisism and I could get used to it. The big Denons have a warm but extremely powerful sound that would make the 800Ds fly.

I do keep on about the POA-S1s because they are amazing - 250w @ 8Ω, 500w @ 4Ω, 1000w @ Ω2, 1400w @ 1Ω. Omega Omicron Mono are the closest thing in the Classe range I suppose.

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by dan87951
                                Hope your house has a strong foundation with 2x 855's. Good lord!
                                I want to build a bunker!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2003

Mark,

Well :-) Now I know what you want (and given that as you say the Denon's are out of manufacture)... Let me introduce you to the Accuphase Range which are Japanese, sound very similar (I think better to my ears) sound as the Denons and the same power characterstics.

For example this baby http://www.accuphase.com/model/pdf/m-8000_e.pdf is (from the one time I heard it) eveb better than the Denons.. Starts at 250W in 8 ohms and keeps doubling until it reaches 2000W into 1 Ohm, which hardly strains it 3Kw power supply... And if that is not enough... Two can be bridged giving 1Kw into 8ohms, 2Kw into 4 ohms, 4Kw into 2 ohms...
                                  Check out some of the reviews... These are very very special amplifiers that are built to last 50 years... And the price is in your budget!

Geoff

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                                    • Apr 2005

Mark,

Well :-) Now I know what you want (and given that as you say the Denon's are out of manufacture)... Let me introduce you to the Accuphase Range which are Japanese, sound very similar (I think better to my ears) sound as the Denons and the same power characterstics.

For example this baby http://www.accuphase.com/model/pdf/m-8000_e.pdf is (from the one time I heard it) eveb better than the Denons.. Starts at 250W in 8 ohms and keeps doubling until it reaches 2000W into 1 Ohm, which hardly strains it 3Kw power supply... And if that is not enough... Two can be bridged giving 1Kw into 8ohms, 2Kw into 4 ohms, 4Kw into 2 ohms...
                                    Check out some of the reviews... These are very very special amplifiers that are built to last 50 years... And the price is in your budget!

Geoff
                                    I think I have just fallen in love - with both the amps and you Geoff - these things look great. Actually the specs are incredibly similar to the big Denon - eerily so!

Comment

• akhter
                                      • Jun 2005

why not the new mcintosh mc1.2k ?

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • May 2005

I would agree with the Aussie. I would go with 802D's which are outstanding speakers and put the extra cash in to Amplification.

McIntosh has some Great Amplifiers of which I am using the 501's. You could get these used on audiogon for around $5000 for a pair and they push my 802D's very nicely.

They have a very nice sound of course depends on your other sources but I am very pleased. I don't think those Denon's would match up to Accuphase or McIntosh or for that matter a lot of modern Amps out there (mark levinson 326)

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

Based the first post if you really have to make a decision based on $$ I think 802s and 855s would be the way to go.

However if money really is no option, I would LOVE to have 800s. Sounds like you have a HT setup goin... two 855s would be amazing.. I can only imagine!

Again, if you can swing 800s.. why not!? Then shortly after go with the subs, then amps.. that would be the route I would go, but if you truely have to make a decision, one or the other no upgrades.. welll then.. thats your choice..
                                          B&W

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                                            ...I don't think those Denon's would match up to Accuphase or McIntosh or for that matter a lot of modern Amps out there (mark levinson 326)
                                            The Accuphase amps are Denon designs in the first place - some subtitle specs are different but the underling designs are Denon. I wanted Denon as I have a Denon POA-A1HD(ci) and I want to slowly replace this with mono amps, relegating the POA's amplifiers to other duties as I go. Denon has a characteristic warm sound, which I love, and I wanted to keep that if I could. As such, these Accuphase amps make perfect sense.

Thanks for your opinions guys - I really mean that. Lots of this is off into the future, but I can hopefully get either a second pair of 802Ds or 800Ds first and then build from there. As the time draws nearer I will know weather the 800D or the 802D is right for me - price and practicality speaking.

Now I just need to win the lottery or get my programming business off the ground to pay for it all…!

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"