X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sskim
    • Sep 2007

First Impression of 805S and Classe CAV-75

I've been using ROTEL RSX1057 to drive 805S with SVS PB12+. Even though I've been happy with 1057, I've always thought 805S 'deserved' a bit more than 75wpc. Last week I had an opportunity to buy a mint conditioned used Classe CAV75, at a great price and I took the plunge. My plan was to bridge it and feed 150w to 805S, using 1057 as pre. In addition to feeding more power, I was also expecting a bit warmer, smoother sound from Classe. My first impression, however, is a bit of disappointment. Honestly, I cannot hear much difference in sound quality. Was I expecting too much? Is the CAV75 lower end Classe amp that isn't much better than Rotel? Would ROTEL RB1080 been the better choice? Should I let the new comer a bit more time to get acclimated to its new gears? Any thought?
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Either it is very similar in performance or the rest of your system has a bottleneck that is stopping the amp from showing its true colours. There are lots of things to look at, hard to know where to start although you preamp is likely to be a factor.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• alebonau
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

have heard the 805s in a few setups now at the end of mf a5.5, nad master series m5, electrocompaniet integrated a full naim setup and have always found it to prefer some quality electronics, source to amps. no experience with the classe cav75 to comment.

as briz suggests really worth checking around with some other alternatives in yoru system, perhaps something else either source or pre holding things back, or is it plain setup ? bookshelves like the 805s take some care in setting up in my opinion to get the very best out of them
      "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• sskim
        • Sep 2007

Thanks guys for your insight. I guess I was hoping for a "miracle" just because I was giving extra head room and adding a "Classe" amp. My source is ROTEL RDV1050 which I know isn't really high end. I'll post a report after trying my old Hafler 915 preamp.

Comment

• dknightd
          • Mar 2006

Usually the difference between amps is small - as long as they are of decent quality, and not driven too hard. You might try running in normal mode on your new classe. Some amps like to be bridged, some do not - perhaps that classe is one that does not - I don't know.
          You are running the 805 with a sub - likely they do not take much power.
          Probably you'd hear more difference by moving the speakers around in the room
          (and maybe some room treatments).

Don't get me wrong, I think amps can make a difference, but again it is usually a small difference if the amp is up to its task.

Comment

• Isaac
            • Jan 2006

I am in the same boat with sskim. I also have 805s and similar rsx-1056 receiver and rvd-1050 DVD/CD player. I have an asw825 subwoofer. I also think that the 805s's need more wattage but, I don't have any issues with how it sounds with the 75-100 watts the receiver pumps out now. Have been looking at classe and Mcintosh integrated amps and 2-channel amps but again, don't really think it would make that much of a difference for the big $$$$.$$ price tags. Other problem I have is that the ASW825 subwoofer only has rca connections and it is not made to be used with a 2-channel integrated amp. I enjoy the sound of what I have now, Rotel+B&W setup but, those Classe' and Mcintosh stuff sure look sexy.
            Last edited by Isaac; 12 April 2009, 07:19 Sunday.

Comment

• Horacio
              • Jan 2005

Sskim,

While I don't know that Classe amp, I'm surprised too. I moved from RB1080>804s to McIntosh MC275>804s and it was a big difference in quakity, even though the MC275 is rated a 2x75 Watts (tubes). While the Classe is solid state, I also would expect the 805s to be revealing of the differences in quality. I drive the Mc witha Rotel pre and a Rotel CD player, so very similar to your siuation.

As dknight mentioned, try moving speakers around the room. Let us know if you don't know what you are shooting for here.
              Have you treated first reflections (walls, floor, ceiling)? First reflections, mainly for treble, can make the sound harsh and might be masking improved smoothness from the Rotel to the Classe. If you haven't, try maybe placing pillows or mattress for a temporary test.
              You aren't using the interconnects that came with your Rotels, are you? If you are (those are VERY cheap), try using 2 better ones (from DVD to pre and from pre to amp). No need to go very expensive here. Rotels aren't THAT revealing, but certainly more revealing than the IC they come with.
              Did you get the Classe and 805 at the same dealer? If so, take the 3 units to their place and have them be compared to other stuff (like Rotel, other cabling, etc).

Just some ideas that came to mind. If you try some of these and work/don't work, let us know.

Don't give up! And have fun!

My 2 cents,
              Horacio

Comment

• sskim
                • Sep 2007

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
                Classe CAV-75 is a discontinued model that I bought second hand so no I cannot go back to the dealer. I'm using Alphacore Goertz Micropurl Copper interconnects and while these aren't high end cables they are decent. This past weekend, I got to try a different CD player (Sony XA1ES) connected straight to the amp. This CD player has a variable output and I was presently surprised as it sounded better than Rotel RDV1050 through Rotel RSX1057. It didn't produce the warm and smooth sound that I was hoping for but it definitely revealed more details. I also tried moving the speakers, putting more distance between them from 6 ft to 8 ft. It improved the SQ in terms of imaging and it also expanded sound stage but again without the warmth. As people have suggested, to get the best out of 805S, I probably do need better electronics to go with them.
                However, with my limited budget, I'm going to experiment some more that do not involve spending cash, with speaker placement as well as room treatment. My current listening room has hard wood floor, painted gypbd walls and windows with blinds. Come to think of it, leather sectional is the only thing that isn't hard surface. Once I learned how to post an image, I'll post my room layout to get more feedbacks.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"