X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sskim
    • Sep 2007

Classe CAV-75 vs Rotel RSX1057

I'm currently running 805S with Rotel 1057 receiver which is rated at 75 wch. Even though I'm happy with the sound at the moment--50/50 HT/Music--I do sometimes wish for warmer, smoother sound, especially at higher volumes. If money wasn't an object then things might be different but I've been thinking of acquiring Classe CAV-75. Classe amps get rave reviews and been reading it's an excellent match for B&W's. I would bridge them to 3 channels and feed my LCR at 150 wch. Can anyone chime in to offer some advice on his/her experience with this particular amp, especially on B&W speakers? Will this be nice jump in terms of sound quality from 1057? Or should I wait, save up some more and go for more powerful and/or more current amps? Thanks
  • ryst
    • May 2007

CAV-75 is good enough for 805, had one myself a couple of years ago.
    Replaced it with a CAV-150 but can't say that there was such a big improvment.

Biggest differce was when I replaced my Marantz MM900 with CAV-75, such a clarity in the sound. After that I was in love with Classé 8O ops:

Comment

• sskim
      • Sep 2007

I found a great deal on a mint conditioned CAV75 and I jumped on it. I've now had the unit for a few days running it bridged to feed 150wpc to B&W 805S, but I haven't heard the leap in sound quality that I had hope.

Can it be the source, which is ROTEL RDV1050, that is holding CAV75 back? Or maybe ROTEL RSX1057 as a pre isn't good enough to bring out the best in CAV75? Is the CAV-75 a lower end amp from Classe that isn't much better than the ROTEL RSX1057?

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by sskim
        Is the CAV-75 a lower end amp from Classe that isn't much better than the ROTEL RSX1057?
        No. The CAV-75 is similar to the CAV-150, just 1/2 its power. While the CAV-75 lacks some of the features of its 2-channel brethren, like balanced/buffered inputs, fully-differential circuit topology and electronic output protection, it does share many of the same parts, and input differential/driver/output stage design. All manufacturers build their component to a price point that results in some tradeoffs and its is no different with Classé. What I don't see them doing is making those tradeoffs at the expense of sonics. The following quote appears in all of their owner manuals.

"All Classé products (all preamps and all amps) share exactly the same circuit (excluding moving coil and moving magnet phono circuits). This means all amplifiers and all high level circuits of the preamps are the same. The same circuit is tailored to different power levels etc. Differences between less expensive models and more expensive models are parts quality and complement, power supply extravagance and the amount of filtering etc., as well as features and packaging."

Comment

• sskim
          • Sep 2007

I did do my research before purchasing the CAV-75 and I do believe it is a better amp than the Rotel RSX1057. The question is how come I cannot hear the difference? I'm seeking recommendations on what I can try to hear the Classe sound that everyone is raving about.

Comment

• Glen B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2004

Try a better pre. What's you budget ? A Classé CP-50 or CP-60 preamp should bring a significant improvement and both have HT bypass, so you can use them for both dedicated 2-channel and movies. They can be found on Audiogon between $900 and $1,100. The Model 5 and Model 6 also are very good preamps but don't have HT bypass.

Comment

• sskim
              • Sep 2007

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, my recent purchases of Rotel RLC1040 (power conditioner) and the CAV75 don't allow new purchase any time soon. I have an old system which I keep in my tiny study that's comprised of Hafler 915 preamp and Sony XA1ES CD player. I'm going to see how these sound with CAV75. These aren't high end but I'm especially curious about connecting the Sony CD player directly to the CAV75 since it has a variable output. Sound quality wise, I find Sony XA1ES better than the Rotel RDV1050.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"