X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cruxis
    • Feb 2007

A little quiet please

I enjoy my B&W's a little bit on the loudy side, and while they sound great to me , I'm made aware that the little woman does't always share my enthusiasm. The family room where I listen opens to the kitchen. Thats fine, the problem lies in that the kitchen opens to the living room, where my wife has to strap on the (supposedly noise cancelling) headphones to watch TV. To make a long story short, It just dawned on me that I maybe I should look into some type of room partition to divide the kitchen from her domain. Not only am I thinking about her, but a bit selfishly (again) about what I might gain from the setup. If anyone has any thoughts on it , such as where I can find an economical (cheap) partition that would actually do a decent job, or any other suggestions I'd appreciate it , thanks.
  • gross30
    • Jun 2005

Shopping !! it has worked for years.....lolol

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Office Depot
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• GregLett
        • May 2005

What about a folding door system? Stores like home depot have them.this way when you are not listening you can have the space open.
        Greg

Comment

• William
          • Aug 2006

There is really nothing you can do that is cheap that will reduce the sound to an expectable level. A 90dB sound just contains way too much energy that must be absorbed and will require lots of mass to do it. Even if you lower the energy by half (a measly 3dB) by putting up a simple divider door it will still be extremely loud. Also to your wife the sound is relative and not absolute sound so she will still be bothered if she can hear it above her ambient noise.

A studded wall with 2 layers of 3/8 drywall sandwich with GG, and using a weather proof exterior sold core door will be about the only way to effectively block the sound.

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Family Room ===> Kitchen ===> Living Room
            Are your front speakers facing in that direction? If they are facing towards the kitchen, and if possible, you could consider moving the room around so that the music/movie is playing towards the other side. Could you draw a rough draft of how your home is laid out, rooms, setup, and speakers?

Comment

• Cruxis
              • Feb 2007

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the speakers face the kitchen and there is really no other feasible alternatives. Maybe I'll try the folding door option, and if that doesnt help much I can always take it back. She really doesn't complain much at all, but I don't like that she has to crank up the volume on the headphones to watch TV, just so I can listen to music at the levels I enjoy. Maybe we'll work out a schedule.

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Good luck!

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Cruxis
                  She really doesn't complain much at all, but I don't like that she has to crank up the volume on the headphones to watch TV, just so I can listen to music at the levels I enjoy. Maybe we'll work out a schedule.
                  Why don't you swap? Then you can crank up the volume on the headphones and not worry her.
                  - Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                  Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"