• Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

tiny quiet and bright DLP unit

Saw this at a video company today

Specs:

3000/1900 lumens (not lamp modes, no increase in lamp life, strictly a brightness vs. contrast trade)
    800:1/1000:1 CR
    Single chip DLP
    Sealed optics
    2 lens options 1:1 and 1.8-2.4 zoom
    SXGA resolution (1280x1024)
    $14,995 list

This thing is tiny tiny tiny. It is about 12" wide x 9" deep x 5" tall, with the lens at one side (no lens offset capability though).

And it is quiet quiet quiet. You can hear it in a still room, but with any noise at all (like even 2 people talking) it is inaudible. 28 dB is alleged.

Christie is badging this as an installation projector, not a portable presentation unit, and says it is built to be long lived. Has a spiffy dark grey magnesium case, connectors are at the rear, has composite, Svideo, component, 15 pin RGB, and DVI. It is actually a Norwegian unit, the ProjectionDesign F1 SXGA, but only Christie is selling it in the U.S. at this time.

Was being shown in an office conference room under fluorescent lighting with a composite feed, so I can't even guess at image quality but at SXGA, it will compare favorably with WXGA when showing wide material (J Lo?).

We are set to borrow it for a demo period of a few days at work, I will try and squeeze a bit of HT oriented analysis into that.

Pricey, but the cool factor is definitely there.

Intersting on the variable brightness and contrast, the Christie products guy said it has a 7 segment color wheel spinning at 2X. At 3000 lumens, it makes more use of the white segment which (obviously) lowers onctrast to 800. At 1900 lumens, contrast goes to 1000. Done through the flipping cycles of the mirrors only. No change to lamp brightness, life or fan speed is involved.

Sp sounds like there WILL be rainbows, at least in high brightness mode. I'll see them if they are, it's why I don't have a DLP.

I want one just because of tis size and looks.

More after demo.

BB
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

Brandon,

It looks really cool for $15K list. It's good to see the 1280X1024 DLP models finally coming down in price, as they were always around $100K for years, and just recently dropped under $35K. But with the upcoming 1920 X 1080p native SXRD LCOS models coming out soon, I can understand about the price drop now.

Still, if the street price were under $10K it would be nice to combine one of these units with a ISCO II anamorphic lens for a great looking picture (in 1900 lumen mode).

-Dean.

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

This thing is cheap (things being relative) also because it is single chip. The $100K models were 3 chip. Near as I can tell, this thing is sort of unique in that regard, single chip SXGA DLP.

Try to get it next week for demo.

BB

Comment

• Dean McManis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2003

Yep, the professional/industrial $100,000+ SXGA DLPs were all 3-chip units, but that was the only way that you could get a SXGA DLP FPTV before this model.

I look forward to reading your review if you get an opportunity to demo one of these new FPTVs.

-Dean.

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

Looks like I may have some opinions on this by next week.

BB

Comment

• Dean McManis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • May 2003

I look forward to hearing what you think about this projector.

-Dean.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Same here, guys.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"